Photo

Boxing Vs MMA

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

What do you guys think is overall the better sport, boxing or MMA?

Better fighters, popularity, rate of growth, etc.

I'm convinced that MMA has better fighters because they're all well-rounded whereas boxers are only good in standup. But Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer completley contradicts this....

Boxing is clearly more popular as of now. but Strikeforce has made it to CBS so I'd say MMA is growing way faster.

What do you guys think?

I personally think MMA will eventually replace boxing. I just wish MMA organizations would pay their fighters more.

#2 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

There's probably problems with getting MMA events sanctioned in certain states =/

The truth is, MMA is a lot more brutal than boxing: super thin gloves, elbows/knees, ground and pound, and joint snapping submission holds. That makes it more fun to watch :D

#3 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Funny, MMA gets sanctioned in an Arab country before New York, one of the most liberal states in the country.

#4 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

I love MMA - it's so entertaining. Boxing can be kind of boring unless it's someone like Pacquiao in the ring.

#5 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Funny, MMA gets sanctioned in an Arab country before New York, one of the most liberal states in the country.

I think it actually depends on rules set by the athletic commission of each state. Though it's just a matter of time before NY approves.

But imaging little kids training in MMA :(

#6 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

I think it actually depends on rules set by the athletic commission of each state. Though it's just a matter of time before NY approves.

But imaging little kids training in MMA :(

What? Kids training in MMA would be a wonderful thing.

MMA promoting violence is a common misconception. MMA promotes RESPECT and most fighters realize that; most fighters talk trash only for publicity.

Just like how rap lessened gang violence, so will MMA.

You see, right now, when school kids have conflicts, they have fist fights over concrete. They just flail at each other and as bad as those strikes and fighting stances are, they do inflict a lot of damage on each other. They're using bare knuckles!

Now if they knew MMA, they'd settle it in an MMA gym with proper equipment including a mouth guard which is perhaps the MOST important equipment for safety. They'd fight under controlled conditions.

MMA releases stress and when you learn any martial art, the first thing they teach you is discipline and self control. They teach you that you're learning it for self-defense, not to bully others.

Little kids training in MMA is far from violent. In Thailand, little kids spar each other in Muay Thai in just shorts and no safety gear.

#7 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

What? Kids training in MMA would be a wonderful thing.

MMA promoting violence is a common misconception. MMA promotes RESPECT and most fighters realize that; most fighters talk trash only for publicity.

Just like how rap lessened gang violence, so will MMA.

You see, right now, when school kids have conflicts, they have fist fights over concrete. They just flail at each other and as bad as those strikes and fighting stances are, they do inflict a lot of damage on each other. They're using bare knuckles!

Now if they knew MMA, they'd settle it in an MMA gym with proper equipment including a mouth guard which is perhaps the MOST important equipment for safety. They'd fight under controlled conditions.

MMA releases stress and when you learn any martial art, the first thing they teach you is discipline and self control. They teach you that you're learning it for self-defense, not to bully others.

Little kids training in MMA is far from violent. In Thailand, little kids spar each other in Muay Thai in just shorts and no safety gear.

The punching and the kicking, etc. I have no problem with. The thing that worries me is when they practice wrestling or jiujitsu, and all the potentially dangerous holds/chokes. 

#8 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

MMA destroys boxing right now, UFC is dominating the ratings.

MMA fighters are more well rounded, with ground game, clutch, kicking and punching. Boxing is hard, without a doubt, but those fighters aren't as good overall.

#9 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

How about kickboxing? like K-1?

but I think K-1 weakened themselves when they let their best fighters compete in the MMA and get mauled.

Edited by Prodigy, 21 April 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#10 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

How about kickboxing? like K-1?

but I think K-1 weakened themselves when they let their best fighters compete in the MMA and get mauled.

Overeem vs Rogers will be a spectacle though :)

#11 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Overeem vs Rogers will be a spectacle though :)

Its like K-1 has no hold over their fighters which is good for the fighters, I guess. UFC is like the complete opposite. BJ Penn fought for K-1 and had both of his UFC belts stripped.

#12 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Its like K-1 has no hold over their fighters which is good for the fighters, I guess. UFC is like the complete opposite. BJ Penn fought for K-1 and had both of his UFC belts stripped.

Heh, same with Fedor competing in Sambo tournaments.

I actually like seeing K-1 fighters enter MMA, just to see how well they can actually fight. Similarly want to see A. Silva box.

#13 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

Heh, same with Fedor competing in Sambo tournaments.

I actually like seeing K-1 fighters enter MMA, just to see how well they can actually fight. Similarly want to see A. Silva box.

Silva's boxing is overrated. Its really his knees that make up his striking.

Edited by Prodigy, 21 April 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#14 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Silva's boxing is overrated. Its really his knees that make up his striking.

Hmm. I guess Silva in K-1 or MT then. I really want to see if he has a good chin.

#15 Reddevil

Reddevil
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:53 AM

Basically,

MMA has the biggest future. K-1 is VERY big in europe ( i'm from belgium - holland) but mma is taking everything over.

boxing is boring, period.

#16 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Dana White is a marketing genius. That is why MMA will succeed. As far as better fighters, they're in different sports for a reason. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

#17 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

Dana White is a marketing genius. That is why MMA will succeed. As far as better fighters, they're in different sports for a reason. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Except that boxing would roughly be equivalent to apples... kickboxing would roughly approximate to an apple-orange hybrid... and MMA would be a combination of apples, oranges, watermelons, pears, etc.

Almost every mixed martial artist has a "specialty"... some like to focus on their boxing/kickboxing... and some focus on their muay thai or jiu jitsu. It's the combination of skills that makes each fighter's "flavor" interesting.

#18 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

I'm sorry, I'll make sure to make my simile apples to fruit bowls next time, so that those who choose to be pedantic and repeat what has already been stated can be happy. Though they clearly understand the point that was made. Glad to know that Mixed Martial Arts fighters use a Mixed variety of Martial Arts. Up next, Football players who play Football.

#19 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, people point out boxers won't do well in MMA.

Will MMA fighters do well in a boxing match?

#20 Reddevil

Reddevil
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

Yeah, people point out boxers won't do well in MMA.

Will MMA fighters do well in a boxing match?

boxer won't do good in mma bouts, and mma fighter won't do good in boxing matches, nuff sayd.

#21 GeorgeBright

GeorgeBright
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

MMA is certainly more entertaining.
You might see some boxing in an MMA match, but you'll never see MMA in a boxing match.

#22 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

MMA is certainly more entertaining.
You might see some boxing in an MMA match, but you'll never see MMA in a boxing match.

You'll never see MMA in a boxing match cause it's not allowed!

#23 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

Basically,

MMA has the biggest future. K-1 is VERY big in europe ( i'm from belgium - holland) but mma is taking everything over.

boxing is boring, period.

I heard you guys get to watch K1 events for free.

#24 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

I heard you guys get to watch K1 events for free.

MMATV usually streams them :D But if they're in Japan then chances are the event will start at like 3am EST or something like that

#25 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

I wonder if K1 fighters can stand up to boxers. Sure, boxers will lack kicks and knees (heard you're only allowed one knee per clinch, too) but they are definitely superior when it comes to exchanging punches.

The best kickers in K1 are who? Buakaw? When has he ever KNOCKED someone out with a kick? Even when he manages to kick someone right across the face, the person isn't knocked out.

But for boxers, one good flurry will knock you out. Buakaw's kicks only wear you down.

and if gloves were to not be used, boxers would probably knock the k1 fighters out with just one good strike. of course, they'd not be able to block as well as they wouldn't have pillow hands but that wouldn't matter much.

but if it was an MMA match between Pacquiao and Buakaw (which would be possible since they're around the same weight), Buakaw would probably win just from holding Pacquiao in a clinch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users