Photo

Boxing Vs MMA

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#76 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

Ever see the end of the Ultimate Fighter, season one?

One of my favorite fights, ever. I'm also extremely excited for Rashad Evans and Rampage. Shit's going to be sick. Hope the A-Team was worth the wait.

#77 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

Thats one of the more interesting decision fights. Still though, that fight could have been better. Shogun is usually more aggressive.

The number of boring decision fights outweigh the number of interesting decision fights by far.

Almost all of the GSP decision fights are boring. Lay and pray for 5 rounds...

Shogun probably just didn't want to take any chances fighting Machida, so that was understandable for me. I loved that fight. Only thing wrong is Shogun lost.

And GSP, oh god, someone beat him quickly so not all WW title fights are 25 minutes of lying down.

#78 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

Shogun probably just didn't want to take any chances fighting Machida, so that was understandable for me. I loved that fight. Only thing wrong is Shogun lost.

And GSP, oh god, someone beat him quickly so not all WW title fights are 25 minutes of lying down.

GSP is the reason why people's first impressions of MMA are that its a sport for gay men.

#79 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

GSP is the reason why people's first impressions of MMA are that its a sport for gay men.

Roy Nelson's GnP I think would be second.

#80 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

Roy Nelson's GnP I think would be second.

Holy shit. I saw his last fight and I had not seen him fight before. He looked like fat Rocky vs. Ivan Drago.

I thought little dude didn't stand a chance, but he flattened that fucker out.

#81 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

o__o

I got confused for a second there when you called Nelson the little dude, then I realized the fight you are talking about he was fighting skinny Semmy Schilt.

#82 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

Is it so hard for people like Tank and Nelson to just.... get fit? it'd surely improve their performance at their jobs.

#83 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Is it so hard for people like Tank and Nelson to just.... get fit? it'd surely improve their performance at their jobs.

I would think that if someone were used to fighting at a certain weight/body type, that changing that would drastically affect them/their fighting. It's hard to tell if it would affect them positively or negatively, but if something is working, it makes sense to keep doing it.

#84 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

I would think that if someone were used to fighting at a certain weight/body type, that changing that would drastically affect them/their fighting. It's hard to tell if it would affect them positively or negatively, but if something is working, it makes sense to keep doing it.

I wouldn't say its working too well for Abbott..

and how many super overweight boxers or kickboxers are there?

#85 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

I wouldn't say its working too well for Abbott..

and how many super overweight boxers or kickboxers are there?

Different rules allow for many ways of winning.

Also in Nelson's defense, there will always be the theory that one who underestimates his enemy gives his enemy an advantage.

From Nelson's appearances, I would imagine that many people still underestimate him.

#86 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

I think Nelson's giant belly fat actually helps to keep his opponents down while he's on top. I'm not so sure fighters train against that :D

#87 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

I think Nelson's giant belly fat actually helps to keep his opponents down while he's on top. I'm not so sure fighters train against that :D

As Rampage said, "Thats like having the moon on you. How you gonna get the moon off of you?"

but as fat as he is, hes in the same weight range as other heavyweights. While other heavyweights are 250 pounds in muscle, hes 250 pounds in fat. same thing, really. its just that his weight is more spread out.

#88 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

He (Nelson) actually used to be in fairly good shape; I saw a few photos of him back when his career was just beginning.

He should start his own school of jiujitsu focused on using bellyfat.

#89 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

He (Nelson) actually used to be in fairly good shape; I saw a few photos of him back when his career was just beginning.

He should start his own school of jiujitsu focused on using bellyfat.

Lawl.

Roy Nelson Jiu Jitsu 101

The Smother - Lay on top of opponent and secrete oil.

#90 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

The Chubbaplata (submission) - position your belly on top of your opponent's face and lie down. Restrain hands if necessary.

#91 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:20 PM

The Chubbaplata (submission) - position your belly on top of your opponent's face and lie down. Restrain hands if necessary.

Sounds like a simple side mount though.

Edited by Prodigy, 05 May 2010 - 02:21 PM.

#92 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like a simple side mount though.

Nope, there's emphasis on the belly. Especially the fat. Even if they don't tap, your giant sweaty belly is rubbing all over their face.

#93 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Nope, there's emphasis on the belly. Especially the fat. Even if they don't tap, your giant sweaty belly is rubbing all over their face.

and if the opponent doesn't submit them, bring on phase 2 of the submission, the Fur Trap. Cover your opponent's mouth with your arm pit hair. I'd tap if Roy Nelson did that to me..

#94 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

and if the opponent doesn't submit them, bring on phase 2 of the submission, the Fur Trap. Cover your opponent's mouth with your arm pit hair. I'd tap if Roy Nelson did that to me..

Or do anything equally gross, I'm sure that'd work as well. Tickles, fondling, and biting, anyone? :p

#95 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Forrest Griffin is also a good candidate for the Fur TrapĀ 

#96 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

Or do anything equally gross, I'm sure that'd work as well. Tickles, fondling, and biting, anyone? :p

Those are all illegal, lol.

but I think its legal in the UFC to stick two fingers into your opponent's nose and then cover their mouth with your other hand, effectively depriving them of any method of breathing.

#97 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

but I think its legal in the UFC to stick two fingers into your opponent's nose and then cover their mouth with your other hand, effectively depriving them of any method of breathing.

If you wasted two hands trying to choke someone from the front, you would really open yourself up to significant blows from your still-conscious opponent. It may be an offensive position, but defensively, it would be incredibly weak.

#98 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

If you wasted two hands trying to choke someone from the front, you would really open yourself up to significant blows from your still-conscious opponent. It may be an offensive position, but defensively, it would be incredibly weak.

You can only do that if you're on the ground with the opponent. Once on the ground, strikes are a lot weaker. Just keep your chin down and push your head against his neck while depriving him of the means to breathe. He can't hit the back of your head (illegal) and if he wants to hit your face, his punches would be very weak as you're pushed up against him.

It also works well when you and your opponent are on the ground and you're parallel with and behind him. Most people go for the rear naked choke in this position but if your opponent is still lively, its hard to get a choke in. Fingers in nose and hand on mouth. He can't hit you when hes on top of you, parallel.

#99 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

You can only do that if you're on the ground with the opponent. Once on the ground, strikes are a lot weaker. Just keep your chin down and push your head against his neck while depriving him of the means to breathe. He can't hit the back of your head (illegal) and if he wants to hit your face, his punches would be very weak as you're pushed up against him.

It also works well when you and your opponent are on the ground and you're parallel with and behind him. Most people go for the rear naked choke in this position but if your opponent is still lively, its hard to get a choke in. Fingers in nose and hand on mouth. He can't hit you when hes on top of you, parallel.

I was watching this show that focused on the numbers behind MMA, and using their fancy machine they determined that grounded elbows are just as strong as standing ones. Difference may be that on your feet there's nothing behind your head and it becomes sort of an inelastic collision, but with your head on the ground there's nowhere to bounce back if you eat an elbow. Bas Rutten, Tito Ortiz, and Randy Couture were the people used, just in case someone wants to discredit the fighters.

#100 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

Oh, and by the way, finally found a counter to this argument by reading the rules.

Fouls
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.

http://www.ufc.com/i...=LearnUFC.Rules

The nose counts as an orifice, so sticking your fingers in the nose would be an illegal maneuver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users