Photo

Genetically Modified Food.

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 SmokingKush

SmokingKush
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

People who are against GMO make me laugh. All scientist are doing is splicing genes, like nature would do. Only us humans do it a lot quicker and more efficient. Obviously there are some sketchy things happening, like increasing resistance to pesticides only to shoot up the plants even more. Which is a problem, but the technology is great.

#102 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Indeed if all the food we ate was naturally grown food...there wouldn't be enough food for everyone. If you're buying meat from a supermarket, you probably don't even know it was genetically modified or if the parent was just a clone of a genetically superior animal.

Edited by Faval, 13 August 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#103 Xcisor

Xcisor
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

I feel like GMO foods aren't good for your health, and also that there isn't enough food to feed the world as it is. Or there is enough, just we waste so much of it.

#104 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

I thought natural food is the best. If not why people in china villages (or any other places where people grow and consume their own harvest) could live over a century.

#105 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

I thought natural food is the best. If not why people in china villages (or any other places where people grow and consume their own harvest) could live over a century.

Uh, generally, they don't O_o

#106 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

Those guys living in villages don't have really great access to doctors and even then it's not the best hospital, etc, etc. I mean they do live long lives from what I can see but where is your source for over 100? I haven't really seen anyone live well over a century, mostly late 80's and 90's.

Edited by Faval, 13 September 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#107 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

It's a marketing scheme to make you buy all natural. As for the "chinese villagers" living longer, once again it's more than just food than affects longevity. Think about the living conditions that they live in compared to some average guy who lives in a suburban area (arguably much more stressful now isn't it).

#108 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

I have no problem with GM foods. I'm a poor college student so whatever produce I can get.
Organic is overpriced but if you can afford it, good for you. I don't care much over the organic foods hype.

#109 WakaWaka

WakaWaka
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

I dont think they average a hundred but around 80s maybe..
and as to why, its because :
1. they havent sullied their bodies with artery blocking shit for the past 50 years like most of america/canada
2. they actually do physical labor instead of sitting in front of the computer all day. While some people go to the gym for an hour or so, thosevillage people from china are still far more active, for a lenghtier period of time.

#110 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

Those guys living in villages don't have really great access to doctors and even then it's not the best hospital, etc, etc. I mean they do live long lives from what I can see but where is your source for over 100? I haven't really seen anyone live well over a century, mostly late 80's and 90's.

Source "there were 3,160 people in Bama aged between 80 and 99, and 76 people aged over 100. The eldest was 123 years old"

Maybe I have exaggerated to some degree, but generally the lifespan of people living in the villages is slightly higher as compared to that of city dwellers'

It's a marketing scheme to make you buy all natural. As for the "chinese villagers" living longer, once again it's more than just food than affects longevity. Think about the living conditions that they live in compared to some average guy who lives in a suburban area (arguably much more stressful now isn't it).

Yes there are certainly other contributing factors like stress level, things they do everything, happiness level, life satisfaction etc., but what I'm trying to say is that food is something you eat everyday and would you rather spend your whole life eating factory processed food (w/chemicals which will accumulate in your body) or those which are cooked and consumed right after harvesting (without artificial pesticides)? So even if it's a marketing scheme, why not? Posted Image

Btw I'm not advocating natural food here, just want to state some of my views.

Edited by flashraven, 14 September 2010 - 04:26 AM.

#111 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

You are vastly oversimplifying an enormously complex case.

The physical activity involved in their lifestyle is far more likely to be the significant factor in their longevity, as opposed to their meagre diet.
On top of that, the aspect of their diet that is most likely to influence their lifespan is the actual nutritional content of the food, not the "naturalness".

#112 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:22 AM

The physical activity involved in their lifestyle is far more likely to be the significant factor in their longevity, as opposed to their meagre diet.
On top of that, the aspect of their diet that is most likely to influence their lifespan is the actual nutritional content of the food, not the "naturalness".

People in China don't sit there all day and eat processed foods... and GM foods really don't qualify as "processed" or fattening foods, right? It's just vegetables or fruits who have their "dna" so to speak tampered with so they can resist some conditions and they look a lot better in the store than say, organic food.

#113 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:24 AM

There's nothing inherently less healthy about a processed food.

#114 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

(Just to play the Devil's advocate)
Your argument seems to be oversimplified a little too.

Genetically modified food are generally modified such that the food is much more appealing/appetizing/marketable as well being able to be mass produced.
Generally (not in all cases), naturally grown food as well as foraged food are generally MUCH healthier and will provide more nutrients and such.

Also, I don't see how physical activities are more likely to be the significant factor in their longevity. Longevity is a combination of many things, all which play a part but apart from the obvious self-recklessness I don't believe one factor to be *MUCH* important then another factor. Also, in the country side/villages/isolated places - people don't have access to many technologies/advances that play a HUGE role in modern city life. I'm sure we can all agree that their hospitals/doctors/etc are usually (if not always) more advanced/knowledgeable and have access to more resources which we can say (I hope) help us to live longer lives :)

#115 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

(Just to play the Devil's advocate)
Your argument seems to be oversimplified a little too.

We'll see.

Genetically modified food are generally modified such that the food is much more appealing/appetizing/marketable as well being able to be mass produced.

No.
Genetic modification is primarily geared to improving yield, nutrition and shelf life. All of these things increase the nutritional value of a crop.

Generally (not in all cases), naturally grown food as well as foraged food are generally MUCH healthier and will provide more nutrients and such.

According to?

Also, I don't see how physical activities are more likely to be the significant factor in their longevity. Longevity is a combination of many things, all which play a part but apart from the obvious self-recklessness I don't believe one factor to be *MUCH* important then another factor.

You'll notice that what I actually said was that physical activity was more likely to be the significant factor that the natural nature of their diet.
Obviously, a persons lifespan is ultimately a combination of many factors. To point such out is unnecessary.

What I was implying is that the difference in physical activity is the primary difference between western lifestyles, and those in this village. As well as diet, which I also noted in the very next sentence, with caveats.

Also, in the country side/villages/isolated places - people don't have access to many technologies/advances that play a HUGE role in modern city life. I'm sure we can all agree that their hospitals/doctors/etc are usually (if not always) more advanced/knowledgeable and have access to more resources which we can say (I hope) help us to live longer lives :)

This is an irrelevancy. I was attempting to provide a more likely explanation for the longevity of people who do not have access to advanced medical care.
Those that do will clearly live longer. No one is disputing that.

#116 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Yes there are certainly other contributing factors like stress level, things they do everything, happiness level, life satisfaction etc., but what I'm trying to say is that food is something you eat everyday and would you rather spend your whole life eating factory processed food (w/chemicals which will accumulate in your body) or those which are cooked and consumed right after harvesting (without artificial pesticides)? So even if it's a marketing scheme, why not?

Well obviously everyone would say that they would rather have something "natural", but while you're going to be all hip about this--consider the living conditions that you'd have to give up just to accommodate such a diet. Let's go back and take a look at these rural villagers mentioned previously. While they do have the upper-hand on their diet, how about the lack of access to modern pharmaceuticals/medical counseling?

Besides, we're talking GMOs here, which in other words (and call it oversimplified) is speeding up the production of food products. This whole "processed food" thing that you're thinking is quite far from what's originally being discussed here. As a matter of fact, due to GMOs the whole concern regarding the use of pesticides on some crops can be resolved.
http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=125906838

#117 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

^ Lol yeah I'm aware of it, sorry for going OT! Posted Image

#118 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

My take on genetically modified food:
Not a good idea. I think the increasing incidence of cancer is related to that and whatever they do fatten up the animals.

#119 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I think it's great, if it tastes good thats all that matters. Like when a waiter spits in your drink, but you leave without ever knowing, who cares that he spit in your drink??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users