Gayness/Homosexuality

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#1 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

I was just reading a post by Jake (sorry to pick you out, but it just exemplifies my thoughts lol) That read and the discussion I had with laraboots got me thinking about homosexuality overall. What do you all think about it? I am gay, so that will probably factor into my opinions on the subject, just FYI.

Edit: Just saw the thing on gay marriage... shoudl have probably checked earlier lol....

and the post that got me started on this was:

It's hard enough to find time to post on this site, I'm not going to be a fag and just join places for the programs. Also I thought the program was taken off or just didn't work?

I know it probably isn't targeting, but I would just like to hear what people think about comments like this and when others say, "Gosh that is SOO GAY" it has a pejorative connotation, which I don't like very much.

Edited by Mikes, 14 May 2010 - 05:50 AM.

#2 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

Do you get erections in the locker room?

Can you do it by looking at yourself? (not do you)

Which part of the male body turns you on the most?

Did you come out yet?

#3 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:59 AM

WHAT THE F IS THIS SHIT? How do you know there aren't fags on the web who happen to just join these sites for the programs? I was specifically targeting them out.

Also gays can do whatever shit they want, I don't care so long as it doesn't affect me. eg. touch my butt or watch me change at work. (Which they have)

SHIT.

#4 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

I mod a site for a huge gaming guild. If I or any other mod sees the word "gay" or "fag" used to mean dumb/stupid/lame it causes a warning and an editing of the post. IMO its wrong to use it that context.

I think its a slur against homosexuals (for full disclosure I am bisexual). Maybe even passive aggressive homophobia. But mainly IMO its a sign of immaturity on the part of the poster.

Whats wrong with using other words like lame, stupid, idiotic, dumb, etc instead of gay (or ghey if someone is being really asinine about it) or fag?

#5 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

WHAT THE F IS THIS SHIT? How do you know there aren't fags on the web who happen to just join these sites for the programs? I was specifically targeting them out.

Also gays can do whatever shit they want, I don't care so long as it doesn't affect me. eg. touch my butt or watch me change at work. (Which they have)

SHIT.

I am sure there are.

LOL.

:rofl:

#6 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:04 AM

SHIT.

Jake don't take what I posted as aimed towards you! Its towards the general idea of ANYONE using the word in that context.

#7 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:05 AM

I mod a site for a huge gaming guild. If I or any other mod sees the word "gay" or "fag" used to mean dumb/stupid/lame it causes a warning and an editing of the post. IMO its wrong to use it that context.

I think its a slur against homosexuals (for full disclosure I am bisexual). Maybe even passive aggressive homophobia. But mainly IMO its a sign of immaturity on the part of the poster.

Whats wrong with using other words like lame, stupid, idiotic, dumb, etc instead of gay (or ghey if someone is being really asinine about it) or fag?

I do agree with what you have said, and it is very reasonable to say the least, but you have forgotten one major key component.

In the words of laraboots

just dont give a fuck

You say it is a sign of immaturity, I say it is a sign of the reader being butthurt and giving a fuck. Studies show 60% of people are better capable of doing things when they just don't give a fuck.

#8 laraboots

laraboots
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:06 AM

I use faggot to describe a pile of sticks actually and Jakey :p.

I didn't realise 'fag' and 'your so gay' had the same sort of connotation that it used to have. I don't think about a gay person when I use it. I actually don't see a difference between straight or gay men/women in general, though I may not like to be exposed to images of it as in the other thread.

I hate the fact they won't legalize gay marriage, it actually makes no sense to me, I literally cannot understand why, it seems crazy.

If I upset you in anyway though Mikey, I sincerely apologize. :console:

#9 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:06 AM

Did you come out yet?

Lol are you serious?

No I am not out. That is why I decided to confess my sexuality over a debate thread :sarcasm:

I am out, but what kinds of questions are these? My sexuality is not what is up for debate here....

#10 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

SHIT.

What are ya? A homophob?

Lol are you serious?

No I am not out. That is why I decided to confess my sexuality over a debate thread :sarcasm:

I am out, but what kinds of questions are these? My sexuality is not what is up for debate here....

Just wondering? :D

Edited by Junsu, 14 May 2010 - 06:09 AM.

#11 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

Lol are you serious?

Don't worry about Junsu. He is a HUGE QUE- DOUCHEBAG.

#12 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

I use faggot to describe a pile of sticks actually and Jakey :p.

I didn't realise 'fag' and 'your so gay' had the same sort of connotation that it used to have. I don't think about a gay person when I use it. I actually don't see a difference between straight or gay men/women in general, though I may not like to be exposed to images of it as in the other thread.

I hate the fact they won't legalize gay marriage, it actually makes no sense to me, I literally cannot understand why, it seems crazy.

If I upset you in anyway though Mikey, I sincerely apologize. :console:

Thanks for your concern, but it doesn't really bother me at all LOL. I mean I have dealt with much worse things such as... being in Private Catholic School for 13 years. That did ENOUGH damage IMO. Looking back I learned a lot from that experience.

Anywho, back on subject:

I 100% agree with Chobitz. Just the fact that I have to bring it up is a bit irksome to be honest, but hey... people are gon' be people.

Edit: LOL JAKE. I don't know whether to take him seriously or not *shrugs shoulders*

Edited by Mikes, 14 May 2010 - 06:11 AM.

#13 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

What are ya? A homophob?

Sorry, you are correct. A straight man should be fine with gay men watching him naked and touching his ass.

#14 laraboots

laraboots
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

Did you come out yet?

This is kind of inappropriate.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Smell
4. No I'm not gay.

What, they are just lame answers to lame questions that deserve a :WTF:.

Thanks for your concern, but it doesn't really bother me at all LOL. I mean I have dealt with much worse things such as... being in Private Catholic School for 13 years. That did ENOUGH damage IMO. Looking back I learned a lot from that experience.

Anywho, back on subject:

I 100% agree with Chobitz. Just the fact that I have to bring it up is a bit irksome to be honest, but hey... people are gon' be people.

Edit: LOL JAKE. I don't know whether to take him seriously or not *shrugs shoulders*

If it doesn't bother you why did you bring it up? O_o

#15 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

This is kind of inappropriate.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Smell
4. No I'm not gay.

What, they are just lame answers to lame questions that deserve a :WTF:.

If it doesn't bother you why did you bring it up? O_o

I am just interested in hearing other people's opinions on the subject, that's all. I mean of course it bothers me a TEENY BIT, but its not a huge deal. Its supposed to be a discussion!!! :D

:x3:

#16 laraboots

laraboots
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

I am just interested in hearing other people's opinions on the subject, that's all. I mean of course it bothers me a TEENY BIT, but its not a huge deal. Its supposed to be a discussion!!! :D

:x3:

But you said you didn't like it much in your first post :sorry:?

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

I hate you all equally.

#18 laraboots

laraboots
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:20 AM

I hate you all equally.

:fyou:

#19 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

But you said you didn't like it much in your first post :sorry:?

I just don't like how it is used pejoratively;

It is not anyone's fault here as to how they use the word; it is usually just a force of habit.

I remember a friend apologizing to me about it once Lol. And I was just like, "Thanks, and its no big deal since you didn't mean it that way in the first place"

Jake's post just reminded me of that situation lol. I am interested in what other people generally think about its usage/how it was developed in the first place.

I think people's religious beliefs factor in here (in the way that it is used as an animadversion), but that's just cuz I learnt about them in school... thoughts?

Edit: I just remembered another situation that had to do with me referring to the student body as "you guys" It is just a force of habit for me, but I should say more gender neutral terms such as "y'all" =D There are less situations IMO where someone says, "That was SO LADYLIKE GAH STOP IT"; it can be equated to "stop being such a girl/pansy" no? Not too sure...

Edited by Mikes, 14 May 2010 - 06:24 AM.

#20 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:29 AM

I've grown up with the term being used freely around me, even more than profanity... so asking someone to stop would be almost as hard as quitting smoking. It's in your system, a habit and it feels good man.
Posted Image

#21 coqs

coqs
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

I don't mind it... I'm a straight girl, and my best friend is a gay male... I have nothing against them, and as long as no one is touching my boyfriend everything is fine with me...

If you're not fucking goats or babies or retards or retarded baby goats I have nothing against you...

A little off topic, but in my country (I'm from a south american country) every man call each other gay, it's a friend thing, not much of an insult, actually... we were really foulmouthed in my country, we girls called each other something that can be translated as "cheap whore"

Gay wasn't used as an insult as long as I can remember, we used a lot of other foul words to describe something we didn't like, but we only used gay to describe something that was, well... gay... like a flowery pink frilly shirt...

#22 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:00 AM

That's gay.

#23 SimDairy

SimDairy
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

I just don't like how it is used pejoratively;

It is not anyone's fault here as to how they use the word; it is usually just a force of habit.

I remember a friend apologizing to me about it once Lol. And I was just like, "Thanks, and its no big deal since you didn't mean it that way in the first place"

Homosexuality was only publicly accepted when humanitarian movements to equalize the homosexual identity took place. Spurred on by the racial crimes committed during WWII, they made sure that people of all genders, races, IQ levels, etc. should be considered equal. Prior to that, any word pertaining to homosexuality was commonly used to insult men acting lady-like or to force people to work harder (like in a gym or at war) since homosexuality is usually associated with a timid personality.

Present time however, much has changed and any biases against homosexuality attracts a shit-load of flaming by the community. However, use of the word is still pretty common. Like what Jake said, "It's in your system". However please don't think that it is an insult to you and any other homosexuals. It's gonna wear out soon anyway. The funny thing with words is that they change context as time passes.

I think people's religious beliefs factor in here (in the way that it is used as an animadversion), but that's just cuz I learnt about them in school... thoughts?

Religion has only slowed down humanitarian movements to equalize homosexuals and is what I think the reason why gay marriage is illegal in some states.

Overall, I say give it time to pass. It has only been a short while since humanitarian movements started anyway. Some people just find it hard to accept the changes.

Regarding to my view of gays... Much like Jake, I frankly don't care about their business. I wouldn't even mind if I had a gay friend. Although I'd hate it if I had been in the same situation as Jake had. I mean what straight guy wouldn't freak out if he got pinched in the butt by a man.

Edited by SimDairy, 14 May 2010 - 07:04 AM.

#24 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

A lot of guys use those terms a lot. I try not to judge them, but I can't help but think they're stupid.

I only use the words fag or gay when discribing things that are faggy or gay.
Like at the end of the Lakers games where Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol share a very long, sensual embrace.
How else would you describe such a thing?
*whispers* It's so gay...
Posted Image
There, there, my sweet little rapist. It'll all be okay.

#25 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

I don't mind it... I'm a straight girl, and my best friend is a gay male... I have nothing against them, and as long as no one is touching my boyfriend everything is fine with me...

If you're not fucking goats or babies or retards or retarded baby goats I have nothing against you...

A little off topic, but in my country (I'm from a south american country) every man call each other gay, it's a friend thing, not much of an insult, actually... we were really foulmouthed in my country, we girls called each other something that can be translated as "cheap whore"

Gay wasn't used as an insult as long as I can remember, we used a lot of other foul words to describe something we didn't like, but we only used gay to describe something that was, well... gay... like a flowery pink frilly shirt...

GO BACK TO YOUR CORNER CHEAP WHORE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users