A Moral Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

I put up an auction, used my other account to drive the price up, and made over 900k profit. Now I'm feeling guilty, though the feeling isn't that strong.

Does anyone get the feeling of doing wrong when using these programs or using an autobuyer or something that is outside the "norm"?

Just wondering what members feel :).

#2 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

umm... it's kinda hard to drive up the price of an item beyond its worth. What exactly did you do...?

#3 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

Nah, the average rich Neopian is an elitist asshole. It gives me intense pleasure knowing I am making more profit faster and with less effort.

#4 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

I'll feel guilty when TNT gives me back the accounts I had before I ever touched a program.

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

I feel guilty when I sometimes buy a "legit shell" which was clearly someone's old stolen main :/

#6 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

What I did was when ever someone put a bid on my auction, I just drove the price back up, which forced them to bid higher than my bid.

#7 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

I feel guilty when I sometimes buy a "legit shell" which was clearly someone's old stolen main :/

rofl that's jokes

#8 kuwaz

kuwaz
  • 1181 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

What the fuk is guilt?

#9 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

What the fuk is guilt?

A concept that you may not have got the grasp of.

#10 coqs

coqs
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

I feel guilty when I think the person is buying from me made their money honestly... but I give some big discounts to feel better... I'm still making a lot of money from abrosia so I don't really mind

#11 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

when it comes to business screw morals and ethics xD

#12 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

Business? Totally, I agree 100%

But this is "scamming" other neopians who do actually work for their NPs.

#13 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

Business? Totally, I agree 100%

But this is "scamming" other neopians who do actually work for their NPs.

This quote:

Applies to this post:

I feel guilty when I think the person is buying from me made their money honestly... but I give some big discounts to feel better... I'm still making a lot of money from abrosia so I don't really mind

Your auction bumping is just you being a dick. If you want 300k, set the price to 300k. If you want a bidding war and like to take your chances, set the price to 200k.

#14 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

What I did was when ever someone put a bid on my auction, I just drove the price back up, which forced them to bid higher than my bid.

It didn't force them to do anything. Basically you set up an auction for a low priced item and wanted people to bid on it, and you would outbid until you found the money you were looking for. At any point in time when you outbid them they could have been like "Well darn tooten, I just done got beat in the auction. The item isn't worth that much to me. *walks away (figuratively)"

No I personally do not feel guilt when playing a video game. Only in real life.

#15 manophear

manophear
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

I pretty much price my items at like 88% of the lowest price on SW, so yeah

#16 zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

You in no way were scamming anyone. You had as much right to bid on that item as the other person. Granted, you did bid in an underhanded way, but that doesn't mean that you are scamming someone other than neopets. You did not force the person to pay 900k, he could have given up but did not. Thus it is not a scam.

And really, this world is so morally screwed up I would save your dilemmas for better issue than neopets. ;)

#17 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

You in no way were scamming anyone. You had as much right to bid on that item as the other person. Granted, you did bid in an underhanded way, but that doesn't mean that you are scamming someone other than neopets. You did not force the person to pay 900k, he could have given up but did not. Thus it is not a scam.

And really, this world is so morally screwed up I would save your dilemmas for better issue than neopets. ;)

Actually, I think this is what they mean by "auction scamming" on the "abuse report" sheet. Intentionally bidding to drive the price up is sketchy at best; it'll get your account frozen on eBay and can get your ass iced on neopets too :-\

#18 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

Your auction bumping is just you being a dick. If you want 300k, set the price to 300k. If you want a bidding war and like to take your chances, set the price to 200k.

Being a dick? Bit harsh.

Is it account freezable? Shit.

Didn't expect that. To be honest, I never wanted to sell it at a specific price, but as more people were bidding, I thought: Might as well!

#19 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Being a dick? Bit harsh.

Is it account freezable? Shit.

Didn't expect that. To be honest, I never wanted to sell it at a specific price, but as more people were bidding, I thought: Might as well!

I get that way sometimes. And this would be the reason I never go to auctions.

#20 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

When it comes to Neopets screw morals. It's a game, with virtual currency. You have your methods of making that currency, other people have their methods. Do whatever you want to do mate, being guilty wont mean anything until you're frozen.

#21 Jonny1988

Jonny1988
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

answer...no..I would not feel guilty lol. And I agree with Jake, I'll feel bad when TNT give back my old main that they froze even though I made all my money from trading on the boards. Ended up finding out about ABing when trying to make back my last money. I was never mega rich everything I owned was prob worth about 20mil but now something of the things I was saving in my SDB it would be worth at least 70mil I reckon. I was buying looooads of Island PBs at 750k when the price plummetted!

#22 Jake2

Jake2
  • 1185 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Your auction bumping is just you being a dick

JCR you made my day with that post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users