Photo

Current and Future Economic Conditions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Is anyone here interested in the finance world? I'm huge into it; probably spending more time reading the news and observing/trading stocks daily than anything else.
What does everyone think of the current economic conditions; do you think recovery is occurring or has decreased government spending curbed any recovery that was made so far?
What does everyone think about the situation in Greece? What economic waves do you think will be seen in the near and distant future on the road to recovery?

Speak about anything you know! Regardless if its information on a single stock, currency, country, or the world market etc, etc, etc.

Fifth year Finance & Economics Major here, by the way.

A random article I picked to get the conversation started: http://finance.yahoo...755786.html?x=0

Feel free to post articles or anything you may be relating your post to!

Edited by ChemD, 24 June 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#2 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

Government spending has only increased since Obama became a president.

The Stock market is the most retarded piece of shit ever invented by man, and needs to be destroyed if we ever hope to have any kind of economic stability. As long as the Stock Market exists, the economy is going to fail. Repeatedly. And people will make billions from it. Repeatedly.

#3 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

Removing the stock market would not only hinder economic development but also technological development. Corporations need capital in order to research and develop new products. The stock market is the cheapest and best way for corporations to gather large amounts of capital at no cost. Furthermore, banks would not bank roll risky businesses or 'out-there' ideas if they needed a truly large amount of money. Corporations would have a much harder time growing, which would hinder job creation... less jobs results in a higher number of unemployed, lower demand for workers, higher supply of workers, and overall reduced wages.

At a time of recession all governments increase spending in order to stimulate the economy. Can you imagine if you all of a sudden earned half the money than you did 6 months prior, or even had no job, but all your taxes and costs stayed the same? Government spending helps decrease costs while allowing corporations to turn a profit so they may create jobs, resulting in higher demands for workers and increased wages.

When an economy is booming is when governments increase taxes and cut government spending because everyone is making money. The increase in taxes and bank interest rates helps to pay off the surplus of spending in the years of a recession, or to put aside for an upcoming recession.

#4 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

The Stock market is the most retarded piece of shit ever invented by man,

WRONG!!

Posted Image

:p

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:56 AM

WRONG!!

Posted Image

WRONG!!

Posted Image

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

Nothing retarded about flags...

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

I meant the pole, who puts a brown top on a white pole? O_o That's just plain wrong.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

I meant the pole, who puts a brown top on a white pole? O_o That's just plain wrong.

Fucking Jews.

#9 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

Wow. This should, like, totally be in the debate section. Totally.

Wrong! http://www.hulu.com/...gs-of-the-world

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

Wrong! http://www.hulu.com/...gs-of-the-world

We foreigners aren't allowed to watch your Hulu. ;)

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

Removing the stock market would not only hinder economic development but also technological development. Corporations need capital in order to research and develop new products. The stock market is the cheapest and best way for corporations to gather large amounts of capital at no cost. Furthermore, banks would not bank roll risky businesses or 'out-there' ideas if they needed a truly large amount of money. Corporations would have a much harder time growing, which would hinder job creation... less jobs results in a higher number of unemployed, lower demand for workers, higher supply of workers, and overall reduced wages.

No. The stock market does none of that anymore. Its not about buildup capital or anything. What its about is fuckheads in Wall Street trying to make money. They dont "invest" money in company and hope to make money. They simply day trade. They just buy stock and sell stock in hopes to gain just a few cents from each stock. There is nothing about startup capital going on anymore. It started out as a good ideal, but now its just shit. No company starts out as a Corporation (Unless they have a financor), and eventually they go public (Or stay private) and start selling stock. Day trading causes thousands of new companies to fail every day. Because they artifically grow the stock price, sell it off, and the stock price drops horribly low. Then the company has nothing.

The stock market was the cause of the Great Depression. It is the cause of the current depress that we are suffering. The entire economic world is centering around stocks. Rather then stocks being a way for companies to gain startup investments, its now about "Whats this company worth?". I'm sorry, but Apple is not the most valuable tech company. They are still tiny. And Dow Jones being a measurement of the economy is just fucking stupid. As numbers go down, people freak out and start selling their stock. When the stock market crashes because of that, everything gets fucked up, because everything is now tied in with the stock market.

Name me one time the stock market was strong, and the economy wasn't? Oh wait.... The stock market is the center of fucking everything. It needs to be destroyed and improved.

At a time of recession all governments increase spending in order to stimulate the economy. Can you imagine if you all of a sudden earned half the money than you did 6 months prior, or even had no job, but all your taxes and costs stayed the same? Government spending helps decrease costs while allowing corporations to turn a profit so they may create jobs, resulting in higher demands for workers and increased wages.

When an economy is booming is when governments increase taxes and cut government spending because everyone is making money. The increase in taxes and bank interest rates helps to pay off the surplus of spending in the years of a recession, or to put aside for an upcoming recession.

Do they brain wash you in school? Taxes are going to be increased, not decreased in so many states (Yay for budget deficits). We just signed in a fucking 800 billion bailout, and a trillion dollar health care plan (That will keep rising in costs). THIS IS NOT LOWERED FUCKING SPENDING. The national debt is up 3 trillion in the last fucking year. 3 trillion.... Thats not decreased spending by even the smallest amount.

We foreigners aren't allowed to watch your Hulu. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7pMOkJstU8

#12 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

No. The stock market does none of that anymore. Its not about buildup capital or anything. What its about is fuckheads in Wall Street trying to make money. They dont "invest" money in company and hope to make money. They simply day trade. They just buy stock and sell stock in hopes to gain just a few cents from each stock. There is nothing about startup capital going on anymore. It started out as a good ideal, but now its just shit. No company starts out as a Corporation (Unless they have a financor), and eventually they go public (Or stay private) and start selling stock. Day trading causes thousands of new companies to fail every day. Because they artifically grow the stock price, sell it off, and the stock price drops horribly low. Then the company has nothing.

The stock market was the cause of the Great Depression. It is the cause of the current depress that we are suffering. The entire economic world is centering around stocks. Rather then stocks being a way for companies to gain startup investments, its now about "Whats this company worth?". I'm sorry, but Apple is not the most valuable tech company. They are still tiny. And Dow Jones being a measurement of the economy is just fucking stupid. As numbers go down, people freak out and start selling their stock. When the stock market crashes because of that, everything gets fucked up, because everything is now tied in with the stock market.

Name me one time the stock market was strong, and the economy wasn't? Oh wait.... The stock market is the center of fucking everything. It needs to be destroyed and improved.

Do they brain wash you in school? Taxes are going to be increased, not decreased in so many states (Yay for budget deficits). We just signed in a fucking 800 billion bailout, and a trillion dollar health care plan (That will keep rising in costs). THIS IS NOT LOWERED FUCKING SPENDING. The national debt is up 3 trillion in the last fucking year. 3 trillion.... Thats not decreased spending by even the smallest amount.

Edit: I deleted this post because I don't feel like debating with someone who just doesn't understand. The stock market isn't perfect, but its a far stretch from having the need to destroy it. However, I'm so curious since you mentioned this. If I'm brainwashed by school then what education in this topic do you have?

In actual topic related news; Q1 profits for RIM jumped 20%, stock falls as iPhone beats Blackberry in sales. Pfizer is... still failing.

Edited by ChemD, 24 June 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Edit: I deleted this post because I don't feel like debating with someone who just doesn't understand. The stock market isn't perfect, but its a far stretch from having the need to destroy it. However, I'm so curious since you mentioned this. If I'm brainwashed by school then what education in this topic do you have?

In actual topic related news; Q1 profits for RIM jumped 20%, stock falls as iPhone beats Blackberry in sales. Pfizer is... still failing.

Reading every piece of news that has ever came out on finance in the last 3 years? I dont have to go to a fancy school to know the truth about the economy. In fact, its better that I didnt. You're proof of why I have no respect of economist. There is no need to debate with you. You will continue to guess about things you cannot predict, and hope that you will be right so you will look good, and if you dont, you will just play it off as if something big happened, and you had hoped that it would.

If I was in any form of power, I would eliminate the stock market. Its funny how economist support the ideal after its caused repeat economic depressions.

#14 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Okay, I will say this, and I will reference it to the Great Depression, since you've mentioned.

You can either A) Blame the Great Depression on the stock market crash. Which would mean that stocks dropped resulting in recession, then people like you were all like "omgawdz deh stawk mawwwwket is stoopid" and refused to invest in the stock market because they simply didn't understand economics... causing things to spiral downwards further into a depression.

or B) You can blame it on the Government for not acting when the stock market crashed by reducing money supply during a recession and not stimulating consumer and business spending which resulted in a depression.

As a matter of fact, these points have been debated over and over. If you want to read about it you don't have to hang around this thread. You can just google it.

As for this recession; you can blame your banks. They gave out money to people who couldn't afford it, then they started losing money and had to foreclose on a bunch of n00bs, then all those american n00bs baawwwed about it and had no choice but to either downgrade homes or reduce spending, which reduced production needs and profits for companies, which resulted in less jobs (since less products are produced) which resulted in even less spending, etc etc.

(By the way, I've been reading finance for well over 8 years, and school for 5. However, your 3 years is impressive. You almost graduated from Finance High school.)

The point is, you're right in the fact there are flaws, because there are. However, it is a pretty good system. I am up for a debate with someone about flaws or what needs to be improved or what can or will happen in the future, but I will not debate with ignorance.

EDIT: Also, you're not in power and never will be. Sometimes its best to accept the world for what it is and not for what it should be. If you continuously deny the world for what it is, you will miss out on great opportunities.

Edited by ChemD, 24 June 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#15 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

ChemD- Don't bother debating with Iargue. Its not worth your time, neither of you will change stances, especially when Iargue takes an outlandish position.

#16 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Let him debate it out. I like to see argue in here, he plays devils advocate it looks like. Let's not just say something and stop debating. It's a debate forum after all. Remember we are not trying to change the stance of others, just debating for the sake of debating (i think :p correct me if im wrong).

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

Let him debate it out. I like to see argue in here, he plays devils advocate it looks like. Let's not just say something and stop debating. It's a debate forum after all. Remember we are not trying to change the stance of others, just debating for the sake of debating (i think :p correct me if im wrong).

WRONG. This is General Chat, not the Debate section. GAWD.

#18 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hahaha nice catch.

#19 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Okay, I will say this, and I will reference it to the Great Depression, since you've mentioned.

You can either A) Blame the Great Depression on the stock market crash. Which would mean that stocks dropped resulting in recession, then people like you were all like "omgawdz deh stawk mawwwwket is stoopid" and refused to invest in the stock market because they simply didn't understand economics... causing things to spiral downwards further into a depression.

or B) You can blame it on the Government for not acting when the stock market crashed by reducing money supply during a recession and not stimulating consumer and business spending which resulted in a depression.

As a matter of fact, these points have been debated over and over. If you want to read about it you don't have to hang around this thread. You can just google it.

A)When the stock market crashed. stock purchases actually increased, because a group of rich people started buy large amounts of stock to stabilize the market. This still didn't work. What does that tell you?. Even more importantly, if the stock market is how companies gain capital in order to grow/expand. How come when it crashed the Great Depression started? If the business's are not expanding, but staying the same, then this would mean the ECONOMY WOULD STAY THE SAME. The stock market is a complete failure because its what destroys the economy. If it was only for giving companies capital, and helping people invest. Things would be perfect. If the stock market died, companies would grow slower, not die out. Since the great depression, it has only gotten worse. Day trading means that people buy and sell thousands of stocks based upon random guesswork. So imagine what happens when they freak out, and sell all of the stock of a company? The company would die. The economy would die. How is this in any way a good thing? Its an unregulated monster.

B) So its the governments fault that the Free Economy failed? Do not go around dissing on government interference, and then complain when everything goes bad and you need it. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

As for this recession; you can blame your banks. They gave out money to people who couldn't afford it, then they started losing money and had to foreclose on a bunch of n00bs, then all those american n00bs baawwwed about it and had no choice but to either downgrade homes or reduce spending, which reduced production needs and profits for companies, which resulted in less jobs (since less products are produced) which resulted in even less spending, etc etc.

Yeah, the banks played stupid. But why is it the banks fault that people borrowed money they couldn't pay back? And it all comes back to the stock market. When the stock market crashed, the value of these mortgages lowered (After all, they were simply investments), and thus the people didn't any have "fake" money like they thought that they did.

(By the way, I've been reading finance for well over 8 years, and school for 5. However, your 3 years is impressive. You almost graduated from Finance High school.)

The point is, you're right in the fact there are flaws, because there are. However, it is a pretty good system. I am up for a debate with someone about flaws or what needs to be improved or what can or will happen in the future, but I will not debate with ignorance.

EDIT: Also, you're not in power and never will be. Sometimes its best to accept the world for what it is and not for what it should be. If you continuously deny the world for what it is, you will miss out on great opportunities.

Congrats. You have had plenty of teaching on common sense. I am so proud of you. All of you're school did a good job teaching you that When people dont buy stuff companies cant make money. Shocking.

Please stop flaunting you're education like it means something. This isn't rocket science.

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

I'm still not over the IRC debate about two objects with differing mass falling at the same rate...

O_o

#21 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

I'm still not over the IRC debate about two objects with differing mass falling at the same rate...

O_o

When was that debate and who took which side?

If you disregard air resistance then everything will fall at the same rate... Here is a related video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

When was that debate and who took which side?

If you disregard air resistance then everything will fall at the same rate... Here is a related video:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5C5_dOEyAfk[/url]

Indeed. I agree with you. I think you can figure out who took which side ;).

#23 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

Indeed. I agree with you. I think you can figure out who took which side ;).

:rofl: May it be someone who enjoys arguing?

I'm sorry, I shouldn't drag this further off topic.

#24 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hey, iargue. COMPANIES DO NOT EARN MONEY WHEN YOU PURCHASE AND RESELL THE STOCK. THE ONLY TIME THEY MAKE THE MONEY IS WHEN THEY FIRST OFFER IT FOR SALE. THE COMPANIES GAIN NOTHING FROM HAVING A HIGHER OR LOWER STOCK THEREAFTER, EXCEPT FOR OWNERSHIP INTEREST. Therefore, a FEW wealthy individuals buying a stock would not change jack shit. The whole point of (A) was to show that the fact people stopped spending money and locked in their losses was what got the gears moving towards a depression. A few wealthy investors cannot sustain the demand of a stock if 90% of the owners are offering it for sale. A company does not die because its stock price is 0. It never has, and it never will. A stock price of 0 is a result of a poorly managed company which produces negative profits (cash drains) and files for bankruptcy. Do you think Google would die out if it went to a stock price of 0 tomorrow? No, Google would just buy back all its stock, get 100% ownership, and make more money than ever because it is a valuable company. If a few wealthy investors wanted to fuel the economy they would have offered LOW INTEREST LOANS TO CONSUMERS in order to increase spending!

This entire discussion you have this twisted idea that stocks determine a companies fate, when in reality, a stock is a reflection of expected potential of a company. The expected potential undergoes corrections when the stock price adjusts closer to the actual value of the company.

Secondly, yes it can be argued that it is the governments fault. Governments determine what kind of economy operates within their borders (mixed, market, or command) -- market/mixed is what we are discussing. If a government chooses to run a market or mixed economy, it is there responsibility to make sure it succeeds. It can be argued that a market economy should have no government interference, but unfortunately for you, America is a mixed economy. (Are you a commie?)

Also, yes, people have fears, but how can you possibly use consumer sentiment (thats the term you're trying to use, by the way) to justify that stock markets are the reasons economies fail? With that kind of logic I can argue that the reason economies fail is based on a human factor, therefore if there were no human factor, they would succeed perfectly.

Der der derrrrr. As some individuals mentioned, theres really no point in arguing over this.

However, if anyone wants to step in and asks some questions regarding to finance, feel free to do so. :)

(Also, its the banks fault because they gave money to people that they knew couldn't pay it back. Hey iargue, heres $50. Oh, you can't afford to pay it back? Well, take it anyway!)

Edit: Actually, can someone close this topic? Nothing good is coming out of it because no one is learning anything. If anyone would like to discuss something along these lines please PM me! I'm always down for a convo!

Edited by ChemD, 25 June 2010 - 12:33 AM.

#25 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

Government spending has only increased since Obama became a president.

The Stock market is the most retarded piece of shit ever invented by man, and needs to be destroyed if we ever hope to have any kind of economic stability. As long as the Stock Market exists, the economy is going to fail. Repeatedly. And people will make billions from it. Repeatedly.

The stock market originally existed to raise money for capital investment. The East and West India Trading Companies financed massive construction of seaworthy vessels - which isn't cheap. But the return was enormous on trading missions. The same principle applies to IPOs - Initial Public Offerings. Basically the company offers a share of profits or ownership in return for an investment. Keep that in mind before you diss the entire market principle. No company larger than a mom and pop store would exist without the market.

Keynesian.

I'm not entirely sure that the cycle is necessary (i.e. Austrian). I mean minor movements are all reactionary, but big movements should be market driven, not false input like printing money or government bailout. Companies fail - it happens. They put the wrong person in charge, and they gamble on the wrong side of the market, and they lose. It's a fact of life. Should have put a smarter guy in charge of planning.

Government subsidizing corporations to create non-essential jobs is just stupid. Creating jobs isn't necessary if innovation drives growth.

Do you even know what venture capital is? Not all stock investments are people trying to ride from bottom to top. Most people are content to invest in a strong company with a solid product and revenue flow. Day trading is a market action. Price reflects all the current knowledge about a company's worth. Of course some people don't actually do the research bit, and just follow the market trend. So yeah, there are always late sellers, late buyers - it's how it goes.

No. The market is only a reflection of people's actions, and therefore cannot have caused the Great Depression. It has no intrinsic decision making apparatus - it isn't sentient. But price reflects what thousands upon thousands of sentient beings think about any given company. The problem in 1929 was that price reflected wild expectations of growth.

You're right, apple isn't that good. Google is bigger. Microsoft is bigger. It's just that Microsoft has many many more shares, so the price is lower. The Dow Jones Index reflects what Dow Jones thinks are the quality stocks in the market right now, not what everyone thinks of the market right now.

You're a fool if you think we can't justify 3 trillion over the next ten years for our domestic wellbeing. Do you know how much we spend on foreign wars? Aide monies to Africa? Or Asia? Or South America? 3 trillion dollars is nothing to the medical companies. You need your priorities straightened out.

I read The Economist. I think you should too.

Also, loose credit from huge banking firms is also responsible for housing busts. Fucking idiots.

A)When the stock market crashed. stock purchases actually increased, because a group of rich people started buy large amounts of stock to stabilize the market. This still didn't work. What does that tell you?. Even more importantly, if the stock market is how companies gain capital in order to grow/expand. How come when it crashed the Great Depression started? If the business's are not expanding, but staying the same, then this would mean the ECONOMY WOULD STAY THE SAME. The stock market is a complete failure because its what destroys the economy. If it was only for giving companies capital, and helping people invest. Things would be perfect. If the stock market died, companies would grow slower, not die out. Since the great depression, it has only gotten worse. Day trading means that people buy and sell thousands of stocks based upon random guesswork. So imagine what happens when they freak out, and sell all of the stock of a company? The company would die. The economy would die. How is this in any way a good thing? Its an unregulated monster.

B) So its the governments fault that the Free Economy failed? Do not go around dissing on government interference, and then complain when everything goes bad and you need it. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Yeah, the banks played stupid. But why is it the banks fault that people borrowed money they couldn't pay back? And it all comes back to the stock market. When the stock market crashed, the value of these mortgages lowered (After all, they were simply investments), and thus the people didn't any have "fake" money like they thought that they did.

Congrats. You have had plenty of teaching on common sense. I am so proud of you. All of you're school did a good job teaching you that When people dont buy stuff companies cant make money. Shocking.

Please stop flaunting you're education like it means something. This isn't rocket science.

Actually it's harder than rocket science. At least in physics you can write out the equations. Such-and-such thrust applied over another-number time will give you an escape velocity of something-else. Economics is far from an exact science. That's why it's interesting - it's all a bunch of choice theory. You can't dumb it down to a basic if-then statement. It isn't entirely logical :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users