Photo

[Guide] Pet Resistances/Weaknesses

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#76 Arc

Arc
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

THanks for this ;o I know pteris are common but xP I guess my lenny is not so great xP well ;) time to start training something else.

#77 vaxinas

vaxinas
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Great guide!

#78 mintpro

mintpro
  • 597 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Great guide!

You guys know that new BD doesn't have (yet) any species resistance/weakness things?

#79 StudMuffin

StudMuffin
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

You guys know that new BD doesn't have (yet) any species resistance/weakness things?

Is that confirmed? or were you asking if they knew whether or not the new BD had species resistances?

#80 Turbo

Turbo
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

i've heard a couple battle domers on the forums state this.

i believe it is true and as stated hopefully only for now.

#81 Rainexsorrow

Rainexsorrow
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Idk...pet resistances are kind of a double edged sword, if they implement them in the new BD then they should at least attempt to balance them across pets, or perhaps allow users to choose from one of several resistances instead of making it pet exclusive. I know that makes it feel generic and such but i dont want to feel pigeonholed into getting a pteri or scorchio just because they have better resistances. Granted i would do it because i want my pet to be what i want it to be but it would upset me knowing that i was at a disadvantage just because i liked the look of x pet over y pet

#82 DaBitch

DaBitch
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Any idea if TNT will give special resistances and weaknesses back? Has they said anything about this issue?

In the previous battledome, one could have some serious advantage having Pteri or Scorchio as their battle pet. I am not too much into Pteries, but 40% air resistance was worth it!

What about special attacks like Berserk? I remember seeing attack icons on JN, but that was before the war started.

#83 Razozen

Razozen
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I think it's really dumb how TNT removed so many cool features from the new BD including this one. They always talk about adding and fixing. There's still that BD Beta neoboards and nothing gets done, even though they have so much time on their hands. DoN is a very important feature and it's still broken.

#84 TheV

TheV
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Do be honest though, the old BD was pretty bad. This new BD is more accessible to newer players I think. It may be too little too late though. Neopets is very slowly dying...

#85 Neon

Neon
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

BD resistances were an all around stupid feature in that you have no idea certain pets have these advantages in pet creation and not all pets have a resistance.

It just bottlenecks battledomers into certain pet species and I hope they do not bring them back.

#86 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

If they at least TRIED to balance these, I would be fine with it.

#87 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think it's quite good. 

In every fighting game there's tiered characters. So if you're good, you can win with a worse character (or pet in this case) or if you want to make life easier, pick a pet with higher resistance. 

It's a case of, do you want a pet that looks nice, or battles well. It adds an extra dimension to battledome. What you're suggesting by removing these resistances is like making Pokemon but with every Pokemon being a normal type. 

#88 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Not really. It's like making every Pokemon type BALANCED, ie. not having one pokemon type OP.

I'm fine with resistances, as long as each pokemon neopet type has balanced resistances and weaknesses. Imagine if in Pokemon, Dragon (already pretty unbalanced) resisted everything. How fair is it? That's why Pokemon continually changes the metagame to balance the different types and Pokemon in general.

#89 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

I'm not saying any pet should be hugely unbalanced, I just think a slight unbalance makes things interesting. 

#90 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Yet that's what happened in the old BD.

#91 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I agree re: balancing. If all neopets had, say, a 20% resistance in total (but to different icon types/combinations), then that would be cool. 

But the old resistances were unbalanced and shouldn't be brought back.

#92 Pavement

Pavement
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Even without resistances, Pteri's are still a step above other pets since you can just feed them 1np worms to heal up.

#93 Turbo

Turbo
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

true. i myself would like to see the resistances back. but for all pets equal. just each one has a different perk.

but if we are calling pets out for having advantages.

don't for get all the species healers and freezers.

#94 alphanumeric

alphanumeric
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if each pet had a balanced set of weaknesses and resistances, but I also agree with the notion that the old BD's resistances were hugely unbalanced - look at the Usul, for instance, then the Pteri.

#95 Syntax7

Syntax7
  • 193 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

Yeah if resistances were to come back they could be balanced a lot more, but I'm fine with them no longer being there. That just makes Air a much better icon type (so Sword of Ari is now strongly recommended)

This guide should be changed to be a compilation of notable species-specific weapons. (Bag of Lenny Healing Seeds, Lenny Ray Gun of Freezing, Entangling Lenny Lasso, Kacheek Life Potion, Ancient Lupe Wand, etc etc etc.)

Edited by synth7, 05 July 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#96 david191

david191
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

is it working with bd beta?

I've been wondering the same thing for months. Since I would change my pet to a Lenny in a heartbeat due to the new Sword of Ari and the number of "stronger" NPC challengers with Air attacks like Turmaculus.

#97 battledomerX

battledomerX
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

So are the resistances working yet? Kind of sick of this BD shit not working, and if it will ever work again, will have to change my whole set if they don't bring this back.

Also do the resistances work in terms of overall dmg or only for one item? For example if I receive 100 air dmg from 1 item and 100 air dmg from another item (in one attack) and my pet is is a pteri will it block 40% of the total, so 80 dmg blocked. Or will it only block 40% from one item so 40 blocked from the first item?

Edited by battledomerX, 13 April 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#98 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

I had no idea that species had weaknesses and resistances! Too bad my battle pet is too pretty to morph...

#99 silversteel9

silversteel9
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for the post!!

#100 Amadeus

Amadeus
  • 135 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

I wish this was brought back but in a way that every pet had a 50% resistance "points" to be distributed among all icons, some pets would even have some more resistance but at the cost of a bigger weakness to other icon types. Maybe make color choice matter and so there add a small (flat or multiplicative) boost to resistances and weaknesses (so Darigan is resistant to Dark but weak to light, Magma and Fire are strong weak to fire / water respectively, Water the other way around, Woodland be weak to fire but resist both earth and water, etc...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users