Photo

We all know geeks make the best food

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Here is my absolute favorite to make and my boyfrinds favorite to eat when I make it

Chicken Pot Pie

SERVES 6 -8

Ingredients

* 1 cup potato, diced
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup celery, diced
* 1 cup chopped carrot
* 1/3 cup melted margarine
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1 cup half-and-half
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
* 2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.

3. Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.

4. Combine broth and half and half

5. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture

6. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly

7. Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well

8. Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells

9. Cut slits to allow steam to escape.

10. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.

Enjoy! :D

this link has another kick ass recipe thats really good and kinda nifty for kids!

http://howto.wired.c...e_Cake_in_a_Mug

What do you make ?????

Edited by Greatgenes, 17 July 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#2 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

Men love Pies.

Fact.

Nice recipe though!

Me being a good little housewife woman, I love to cook!

My fave thing to cook:

Cajun Cream Chicken Penne

Ingredients:

2 Skinless and boneless chicken breasts
1 Red pepper
1 Green pepper
1 White Onion
500g of penne pasta
1 Can of chopped tomatoes
250ml of whipping cream (or semi-skimmed milk if you want less fat)
2-4 garlic cloves (adapt to preference)
Packet of Cajun Seasoning
Unsalted butter (or olive oil if preferred)

arround £10 - £15 in the UK to buy - maybe $20 for US, can feed 4 though :)

Steps:

Chop the red pepper, green pepper, onion and garlic small and add to a medium heated pan with the butter or oil until softened.

Add the can of chopped tomatoes and cream/milk and leave to reduce by half.

Add 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning to sauce and stir.

Boil pasta and add to sauce when reduced, leave on low heat.

Smother chicken breasts in Cajun seasoning and add to pan with olive oil until cooked though.

Plate out the pasta and sauce and slice chicken breast and place on top.

Finish with cheese if you want :)

Very nice dish with a bit of a kick - I cook this regularly and highly recommend!

Let me know if anyone trys it.

Picture below.

Spoiler

Edited by Georgina, 17 July 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#3 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

I want to make that cajun penne pasta @___@

#4 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

we try not to eat much pasta but that looks yummy. will have to give it a go in the not to distant future

#5 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

I want to make that cajun penne pasta @___@

Make it :D its not too hard! take a pic coz the only one i could find had no chicken on :(

I shall have to take on next time i make it

we try not to eat much pasta but that looks yummy. will have to give it a go in the not to distant future

Thanks :) Yeh its not the most healthest meal in the world but not TOO bad

#6 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

heh nice ^^
you can add some more if ya like :p i'm moving into a dorm next schoolyear and i need some inspiration on cool recipes ^^

#7 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Both of those sound so good. I can't help but post this:
Posted Image

#8 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Hmm...I do cook a bit.  Not as much as I used to.

Here are some of my recipes - 

Golden Rum Cake  
Cake

• 1 cup chopped walnuts or almonds or whatever you like
  • 1 package Pillsbury yellow cake mix - get the kind with vanilla pudding added  
  • 4 eggs
  •  1/2 cup fat free milk 
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
Glaze

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
Rum suggestions: Use Appleton Estates for the glaze. Use Bicardi or whatever you like for the cake. But Appleton Estates is the best for the glaze! :D

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.

2. In a large bowl, sift cake mix (and pudding mix if you must). Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup milk, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well (whisking works best!). Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

4. To make the glaze: in a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum. Be careful - it may boil over. Expect lots of steam when you add the rum!

5. Turn cake out over a plate, and with a toothpick, poke small holes everywhere. Pour half the glaze into the pan and then reinsert the cake. Poke more holes into the bottom of the cake, and then pour the rest of the glaze over it. Let it sit for at least an hour like this before turning it over onto a plate, where it should sit for a few more hours (still in the pan is best) to let it soak up the glazey goodness. If you can let it sit a day, it will taste best, but I never have the willpower.

Baklava  
Syrup

• 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Baklava

• 1 pound chopped nuts (whatever kind you like; I always use just almonds)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
  • 1 cup butter, melted (you may need more)
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.

2. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey and vanilla, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. You can begin to assemble the baklava while it's simmering. Once it's done, let it cool for about 10 minutes, and then place it in the fridge for additional cooling.

2. Toss together cinnamon and nuts. Unroll phyllo and cut whole stack in half to fit the dish. Cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling the baklava, to keep it from drying out.

3. Place four sheets of phyllo in the bottom of the prepared dish. Brush generously with butter. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on top. Place two sheets, butter, place another two sheets and add nut mixture.  Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, but make sure there is at least 6 non-nutty layers at the top. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava (all the way through to the bottom of the dish) into four long rows, and then turn pan and cut another four rows, then (nine times) diagonally to make 36 diamond shapes. Actually, I always end up with only 24 because I only cut three rows the long way. But whatever! 

4. Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.

6. Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the cold syrup over it (important: you MUST pour cold syrup over hot baklava or hot syrup over cold baklava). This will keep it from getting soggy! Let cool completely before serving. Store uncovered. 

Slow Cooked Pork Chops  
Brine

• 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons black peppercorns, slightly crushed
  • 1 pound ice
Chops

• 4 (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick) bone-in pork chops (you can use boneless, but it falls apart)
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 cups dried apple slices (or however much you think you may like)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large sweet (Vidalia) onions, julienned (how to julienne an onion)
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
DIRECTIONS

1. Combine the vegetable broth, 1/4 cup kosher salt, brown sugar and peppercorns in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook just until the salt and sugar dissolve, then remove from the heat and add the ice. Place the pork chops into a 2-gallon zip-top bag along with the mixture and seal. Place in a plastic container and refrigerate overnight.

2. Remove the chops from the brine, rinse, and pat dry. Season on both sides with the kosher salt and set aside

3. Place the apples in the slow cooker.

4. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch stainless steel saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the pork chops on both sides until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes per side. Once browned, place the pork chops into the slow cooker atop the apples. Cover and set cooker to high.

5. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan followed by the onions and saute until they begin to brown and become translucent. Add the chicken broth to the pan and whisk the bottom to deglaze. Add the black pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Transfer this to the slow cooker and cook on high for 1.5 hours. Decrease the heat to low and continue cooking for another 4.5 hours or until the pork is tender and falling away from the bone (you'll smell it when it's done).

Strawberry Spinach Salad
Warning: Eating poppy seeds WILL test you positive for opiates if you have any upcoming or random drug screenings.  

• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon minced onion
  • 10 ounces fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 quart strawberries - cleaned, hulled and sliced
  • 1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking furiously!  Cover, and chill for one hour. 

2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

In the fall, how about I take pictures and do a step-by-step from scratch pumpkin pie? :)

#9 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

In the fall, how about I take pictures and do a step-by-step from scratch pumpkin pie? :)

mmmmm pumpkin pie, thanksgiving dinner is my weakness, im a sucker for stuffing

#10 Nonygirl

Nonygirl
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

More of a guy's meal because of its unhealthyness and calories, but I will admit I have eaten it before :) I used cheese but no seasoning.

Posted Image

Two Things:
-Make sure the Ramen is cold before you put the egg in it, otherwise it screws it up
-Using a smaller pan to keep the egg in the ramen is very helpful.

#11 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

More of a guy's meal because of its unhealthyness and calories, but I will admit I have eaten it before :) I used cheese but no seasoning.

Two Things:
-Make sure the Ramen is cold before you put the egg in it, otherwise it screws it up
-Using a smaller pan to keep the egg in the ramen is very helpful.

Ohh!  Do you go on /ck/? :D

#12 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've had these brownies a few times and they are absolutely perfect. They're also really, really easy to make. If you don't try them, you're missing out.

(Shamelessly plagiarised from the BBC website)

Ingredients:
  • 275g/10oz plain chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
  • 275g/10oz unsalted butter
  • 85g/3oz peacans, broken into pieces
  • 85g/3oz milke chocolate, cut into large chunks
  • 85g/3oz white chocolate, cut into large chunks
  • 175g/6oz plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 325g/12oz caster sugar
What to do:
  • Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas3. Line a 30x20x3.5cm/12x8x1½in tin with lightly buttered greaseproof paper or foil.
  • Put the plain chocolate and butter in a large bowl, place over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt.
  • Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside. Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla essence. Fold in the flour, nuts and chocolate.
  • Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared cake tin. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. The top should be firm but the inside should feel soft when cooked. Allow to cool in the tin. Remove the brownies from the tin and cut into squares.
Edit - the original had links explaining helpful things like what butter is. I figured you should research that yourselves.

Edited by Cellophane, 17 July 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#13 Nonygirl

Nonygirl
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Ohh! Do you go on /ck/? :D

I actually got that from a site linking to 4chan, so I don't frequent it that often, but I frequent sites that have people who go on it :p

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Ramen omelette. Totally stealing that.

#15 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

In the fall, how about I take pictures and do a step-by-step from scratch pumpkin pie?

Please do. 

p.s. I own this book. I am set for life.

Posted Image

#16 Nonygirl

Nonygirl
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Please do.

p.s. I own this book. I am set for life.

Posted Image

Oh yea?

Posted Image

#17 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

I got on 4chan a lot - /ck/ and /co/ - recognized that image.  XD

Oh yea?

I always say I'll try anything once, but not that.

#18 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

shit that stuff looks good can i steal those recipes (=?

#19 picole

picole
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

Georgina, your recipe looks great, I love pasta, I have to do

Georgina, your recipe looks great, I love pasta, I have to do

#20 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

Easy Mac

What you need

Bowl

Easy mac

Directions

Add pasta to bowl

Fill up the bowl 3/4 with water

Put in the microwave on high for 4 minutes

Drain water

Add Cheese

Eat.

:)

#21 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

Easy Mac

I've tried Easy Mac. It may be the most horrible thing that has ever been done to a delicious dish.

#22 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

[/left]
I've tried Easy Mac. It may be the most horrible thing that has ever been done to a delicious dish.

You have no taste buds. Or your the worst cook. Evar

#23 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

You have no taste buds. Or your the worst cook. Evar

It's horribly bland compared to the boxes of "cook your own" macaroni and cheese that are a better deal for the volume anyway. I'll spend the extra 10 minutes to have more food and have it actually taste good. Unless they changed the recipe since version 1, I know it tastes like macaroni and cardboard sauce.

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

It's horribly bland compared to the boxes of "cook your own" macaroni and cheese that are a better deal for the volume anyway. I'll spend the extra 10 minutes to have more food and have it actually taste good. Unless they changed the recipe since version 1, I know it tastes like macaroni and cardboard sauce.

Silly Kid. You have to take it out of the cardboard. :(

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Ramen > Mac 'n' cheese.

*spam post*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users