Quantcast

Photo

Which is worse: Alcohol, weed or cigarettes?

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#101 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Marijuana has never had one recorded death as a directly result of it's intake.

Lol@PeopleThinkingIt'sHarmful.

Neither has any drug by those standards. Infact, no chemical in the history of mankind has killed anyone. Ever.

#102 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Either cigarerretes or alcohol, but I am leading towards cigarettes because of its addictiveness and harmful effects to others around the smoker.

#103 Milodar

Milodar
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

I've written countless papers, research papers, reports, etc, etc on this topic, specifically with these drugs. (though often I included other things like ecstasy, LSD, etc) I can tell you, I've read every bit of research possible for this, and the answer never comes anywhere near Weed. No where near. With an LD50 far above the possible amount one can consume before they pass out or even have time to smoke that much, THC is remarkably safe. So, so very safe. It has next to no draw-backs. There's honestly not many things you can say are 'unsafe' about THC. That being said, THC is obviously not the only chemical in marijuana, and it's the tar that's actually going to get you. Tar is put in there for "taste" and "flavor", same as cigarettes. :thumbsup:

But what marijuana doesn't have is the hundreds and hundreds of carcinogens that are added and naturally found in tobacco. They both fuck up your lungs pretty hardcore, but you have to consider these things: Tobacco is produced in some well-industrialized factories. It's legal, so they don't have to be nonchalant about it, they have big factories, big, big factories, and have research plants all over trying to find new ways to make their cigarettes more addictive, and tastier. This almost always comes at the expense of our health and general safety. Weed isn't like this, they have sometimes fairly large growing plants, but nothing on the scale of the Tobacco Industries. With weed, they slap a few chemicals in there that aren't exactly healthy for you and they ship it out. Cigarettes, no. They place tons and tons of chemicals and they absolutely drench the tobacco leaves in it. Tobacco is ordinarily green, you know. :rolleyes: The drying process and the introduction of chemicals gives it that disgusting, sickly brownish color. It's gross if you think about it, which is why after plenty of drug use, including daily marijuana use in my past, I never have, and never will touch a cigarette. They're atrocious. Another thing to think about, marijuana it's usually 1 joint and you're done. More active users smoke a couple of joints or blunts across the day, but cigarettes, it's one after the other after the other after the other. 1 pack a day is pretty average. That's 20 cigarettes, already 5x as much as heavy users of marijuana. Some people smoke 2 or 3 packs a day. 40 or 60 cigarettes. That's SO many chemicals, SO many carcinogens entering your lungs, your bloodstream, your brain, and several of your organs.

Seriously. Cigarettes... They're so much worse than marijuana in so many ways. Weed obviously has the higher danger potential on the acute side of things, but most of the time if you're safe and not a complete dumbass you'll be fine. You have to smoke a lot to really be cognitively impaired to the point where you're a constant safety risk.

As far as alcohol goes... It rules over a lot of drugs as far as the acute dangers go. Face it, you're dumb when you're drunk. I get drunk all the time, I'm not going to deny it's fun, but you are dumb as fuck when you're drunk. It gets dangerous. I'd place Alcohol far above Weed as far as acute dangers go. Chronic dangers too, actually. Alcohol is a neurotoxin, that means it kills braincells. I know we all hear "OH POT KILLS BRAIN CELLS", it's not true. Braincells aren't things that are just thrown away when you put any old thing in your body. Specific chemicals are toxic to braincells, Alcohol being one of them, MDMA (ecstasy) being another one of them, Ketamine being a third, THC not being one. But another funfact about cigarettes too: chemicals in tobacco smoke break down dopamine. When dopamine is broken down, it creates a few neurotoxic chemicals in the process. Hard to believe, but cigarettes kill brain cells, marijuana does not.

So as far as I'm concerned:

Acute Dangers:
1. Alcohol
2. Weed
3. Cigarettes

Chronic Dangers:
1. Cigarettes
2. Alcohol
3. Weed

Overall Dangers:
1. Cigarettes
2. Alcohol
3. Weed

As dangerous as Alcohol can be on the acute side of things, I just can't pin it as more dangerous than what cigarettes do to you. Hours of research have really made me grossed out by the things. It's literally inhaling the smoke of hundreds of toxic chemicals. Toxic. Poisonous to your body.

Edited by ThePanfork, 22 September 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#104 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Don't say you've done a bunch of research when you're still spewing out bullshit. Of course weed is safe, but where the hell did you read that tar (or any other chemical, for that matter) is "put" into marijuana?

#105 Milodar

Milodar
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

Don't say you've done a bunch of research when you're still spewing out bullshit. Of course weed is safe, but where the hell did you read that tar (or any other chemical, for that matter) is "put" into marijuana?

Tar is used in a LOT of things people commonly consume... This includes cigarettes, weed, and other things. It's a common additive used for flavoring. People think of tar as just that gross sticky black shit, but when it's diluted it has a lot of uses in flavoring for foods and products like cigarettes/alcohol/etc. All tar really is, is resin from plants. It's mostly natural.

#106 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Tar is used in a LOT of things people commonly consume... This includes cigarettes, weed, and other things. It's a common additive used for flavoring. People think of tar as just that gross sticky black shit, but when it's diluted it has a lot of uses in flavoring for foods and products like cigarettes/alcohol/etc. All tar really is, is resin from plants. It's mostly natural.

No one adds flavoring to weed. You just grow it, dry it, and smoke it. Tar is a product of combustion.

#107 Milodar

Milodar
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

No one adds flavoring to weed. You just grow it, dry it, and smoke it. Tar is a product of combustion.

If you say so. :)

#108 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

If you say so. :)

What a brillant response to an aritculate debate answer.

#109 Philj16

Philj16
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Cigarettes are definitely worse :p All them harmful chemicals in them :) Thankfully i total hate smoking :devil:

#110 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

Cigarettes. Smoking slowly kills you and is very addictive. Alcohol can kill your social life, but at least I enjoy more drinking than smoking. And I cant speak about weed as I havent ever tried it, but I thin it cant be as harmless as to consider it something healthy to do (every drug damages you in some way).

#111 Justinnn

Justinnn
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

Neither has any drug by those standards. Infact, no chemical in the history of mankind has killed anyone. Ever.

Honestly depends on your definition of 'direct'. I consider overdosing rather direct. More so, I find it extremely imprudent to claim a chemical has never killed anyone.

My point was obviously that whilst possible, it's illogical to assume someone can actually overdose on Marijuana.

#112 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Honestly depends on your definition of 'direct'. I consider overdosing rather direct. More so, I find it extremely imprudent to claim a chemical has never killed anyone.

My point was obviously that whilst possible, it's illogical to assume someone can actually overdose on Marijuana.

Well, technically the chemical wouldn't kill you, just rather cause a biological effect that would.

And you forget about the social and economic affects of drugs, such as gang killings, robbings, burglaries and stoners crossing the road for KFC.

#113 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:28 PM

Dude, E-Cigs are shit or the shit..Can't tell yet, so far its been a week and a half no smoking..trying to slowly cut down with the e-cigs...Alcohol and weed do not help =/

EDIT: I read this and it was horrible.. I meant to say I am quitting cigs and going on e-cigs.

Edited by Warriors, 25 September 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#114 Justinnn

Justinnn
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

Well, technically the chemical wouldn't kill you, just rather cause a biological effect that would.

And you forget about the social and economic affects of drugs, such as gang killings, robbings, burglaries and stoners crossing the road for KFC.

That's so splitting hairs, bro. That's like saying a baseball bat to the back of the skull isn't what kills you, but the hemorrhage after is. The catalyst in causing the fatal outcome is equally responsible for the death as the biological effect of it.

Well, yes. I'm aware that the legality of substance is hardly, if ever, based on health. I don't consider Marijuana to be a dangerous drug to exchange, nor will it suddenly cause gang warfare if legalized. As, quite honestly, every additive has a negative socio-cultural effect, and perhaps solely out of my own premonition and witnessing of the drug in society, I don't expect it's negative impacts to be severe.

#115 Milodar

Milodar
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

Dude, E-Cigs are shit or the shit..Can't tell yet, so far its been a week and a half of regular cigs..trying to slowly cut down with the e-cigs...Alcohol and weed do not help =/

Not sure if you're trying to quit Cigarettes altogether, and I'm not sure if you're willing to do this, but a good way to quit is to roll really light joints with not much weed in them. Any time you feel you really need a cigarette, just smoke one of your joints. It won't be like the real deal, but it should at least get your mind off it without getting you actually high.

#116 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

I cant even think of a joke for the moron that says weed.

#117 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

Not sure if you're trying to quit Cigarettes altogether, and I'm not sure if you're willing to do this, but a good way to quit is to roll really light joints with not much weed in them. Any time you feel you really need a cigarette, just smoke one of your joints. It won't be like the real deal, but it should at least get your mind off it without getting you actually high.

I might have to try this..I usually don't smoke joints..Mainly blunts or bong/pipe/vapo. Yea right now, I have been doing something worse. Smoking a black and mild, just a couple hits and thats it. No Nicotine but still the tobacco..It's slowly helping me get off of it. But I'd have to try this out.

#118 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Most definitely, alcohol. : ( as my bro say's, the devil's drug, that and xanax.

#119 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

From a physically damaging perspective, I'd say cigarettes. I'd say cigarettes win in every category. There's pretty much no upside to smoking them. Alcohol is pretty bad too, but definitely not as bad as cigarettes on their own (throwing driving in with alcohol doesn't count). Weed... Well. It's just weed hahah.

#120 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

depends on moderation. all of them are horrible for you.

interesting thing i read a joint=4 cigs. but you smoke weed less and cigs are addicting, so go figure.

#121 Aldy

Aldy
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

Cigarettes :3

#122 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Cigarettes :3

depends if you're an alcoholic then it'd be worse for you. cigs are incredibly addicting, my friends who smoke started with one or two a day, now they go through a pack or two

#123 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Cigarettes.
Alcohol can actually be a refinement (like wine...and I like some wines). Besides, it'd be really impractical to ban alcohol. I mean people use it to cook and everything. Weed can be also be fairly useful and at least it's not addictive.

But you know the weird thing? I love the smell of cigarettes. I would never try one but I love the smell. Same with gasoline o.0

#124 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

I'd say alcohol .. maybe because the majority of my friends have had incredibly bad things happen to them either when drunk or by somebody drunk. Or maybe i've just heard one too many stories of drunken driving killing a kid or a man beating his wife half to death.
Also drinking impairs your decision making and i will never fully understand why people drink to the point where they spend more time throwing up and blacking out then having fun.

lol everytime i drink i think "dear liver, I'm sorry but you're up to bat yet again"

HAHA i used to apologize to my body EVERY time i popped.

#125 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

Cigarette. I think it's probably the most addicting. I don't smoke or do drugs but I'll drink sometimes at parties or clubs, etc.

From my friends, I've noticed that cigarettes are the most addicting. They can't go without smoking it and they'll get really agitated if they haven't smoked in a whole. However, out of the ones that don't do weed every single day but more of a recreational thing - they can control their usage. It's not like they have to smoke or else they get pissed off but they'll do it sometimes. Alcohol as well, when we were freshman - they would drink almost every night because grades were covered. Now that everything is more important, they've really laid off the weed and the alcohol to when the time permits, or on the weekends/at parties.

However, they can't manage to stop smoking. Sometimes they talk about it, but they never actually pull through with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users