Quantcast

Photo

Which is worse: Alcohol, weed or cigarettes?

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#201 Nearx

Nearx
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Fact: Weed smokers are never sucessfull in life.

Youd be surprised how many successful people in this world smoke weed and have been doing it for years. You'd also be surprised how many successful people do harder drugs too. And I'm talking successful like they've made their way through life and are living comfortably and have quite a bit of money cause of their really good job after going through years and years of college to get their Masters. Also I know quite a few weed smokers who go to school and get straight A's and 4.0's. I say that its just another excuse when people say "Weed ruined my life" cause you have the choice to get off your lazy ass and do something or just smoke and sit around. Quite a few of my friends go and smoke a bowl then go and work out in the backyard or something to clean it up and cut down trees and such. The weed motivates them to work. Otherwise normally they're lazy xD

Yup (Not a fact but generally...); It's illegal and addicting. If you're willing to do somthing illegal, why not try other harder drugs that are legal? :p

Weed actually isn't addicting. My mother who had been doing it since she was a teen stopped in an instant when I bitched to my gma about it. Never had withdraw issues or wants for it. Once she stopped she stopped. I do the same thing. Matt and I were out of weed for a while and on the car ride home he had gotta a little bit but was in a bad mood cause he didn't have any cigs left so I told him not to worry bout me and to just smoke it and have a good time (Its his bday today anyway so I didn't want him stressed so much). Both Matt and I can quit and Matt actually has quite easily when he went into the Army. Even when he came out before he met me he didn't look back at it and had no desire to smoke it. Its not addicting though and what I find funny is a lot of cops dont give a shit if you have it. Matt and I pulled over to the side of the road yesterday so he could find his lighter since we found a cig and a cop stopped by us and asked if everything was ok. He totally knew Matt was high off his ass and driving and didn't care. He kept going. Cops have pulled over his dad who has had lots of weed at times before and when they asked him he said "Yup I've got it" and they just let him go. No ticket no nothing. Depending on the situation at least where I live cops dont care. Now if you're doing something definately stupid then yeah they are gonna care but otherwise they generally dont give a shit. Just cause we smoke something "illegal" doesn't mean we are gonna do something harder. That's just a really retarded way to look at that.

Also please tell me what other "harder drugs" are legal? Last I knew Meth wasn't. LSD wasn't. Acid isn't. Using Vicoden even isn't legal. Nothing else is. Weed is the closest thing to legal and actually is legal in some places o.O So please tell me what other 'harder drugs' are.

#202 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

I think cigarettes are the worst. Most addictive, and they are comprised of horrible pollutants for your body. At least weed is "natural." I'd say alcohol is also far worse than weed. It's legal, and it ruins far more lives than weed does.

#203 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

I want to end this debate completely.

Cigarettes are the most harmful if you are looking at it from a purely physical stance. Tobacco related deaths annually are ~320,000. Alcohol = 120,000 Marijuana = 0

If you look at "Most Harmful" from a stance regarding your social or professional life, Alcohol is the most damaging. (Though it may not be if used sparingly, none of these drugs are really that damaging if used only sparingly...) Alcoholism is a bitch... It destroys families, relationships, careers, and lives. I suppose in this ranking you could rate marijuana 2nd if you'd like... but only because it is illegal. If you take the legality out of the issue, it also ranks 3rd in harm again.

So basing these drugs on their own merits (law not included), it depends if you are looking at it from a health perspective or from a social/professional perspective. Cigarettes are most dangerous to your health, Alcohol is the most dangerous to the rest of your life.

/thread

#204 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

/thread

You would not believe how badly I would like to do that.

#205 CuriousOyster

CuriousOyster
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

/thread

Posted Image

#206 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

Lol, but I disagree with what you said... :( :p

Edited by zlpqlz, 17 February 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#207 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

Lol, but I disagree with what you said... :( :p

On what basis?

All the statements put forward by Cody are thoroughly backed up by studies.

#208 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

On what basis?

All the statements put forward by Cody are thoroughly backed up by studies.

Cody is viewing death count as the determinant for better or worse; however, it again depend on the way you look at it. Cigarettes won't affect you instantly, it's not an instant death wish as you take one. Where as somthing like alcohol can kill you from an overdose in one time, or maybe a car accident from intoxication or maybe just some dumb stunt because your brain wasn't functionally normally. Now the second option, marijuana/weed, is often laced with other drugs, in which many people do for the added affect; you'll develop halucinations which can also be very dangerous... I'm sure we've heard of stories of people jumping out of windows because they thought there was a fire, etc xD

Just because ciggarettes kill the most people annually, doesn't mean they're less dangerous. I would argue the first two are more dangerous in terms of short term while cigarettes will only kill you over a long period of usage and abuse.

Edited by zlpqlz, 17 February 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#209 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

What's there really to disagree about? Cody has posted here previously about his trouble, and what he says is true. Ruins families, friends, jobs, etc etc. I'm, just very curious as to what really you disagree with? I hope you don't think marijuana is number 1. Alcohol is so damn dangerous because its so damn easy to obtain on daily basis.

#210 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

The issue. Is a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. If there was, the government would have ruled on it and we wouldn't have access to any of the 3.

#211 everyonedoesit

everyonedoesit
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

Until the intoxicated person gets in a car and crashes into oncoming traffic or beats his wife in a drunken rage, you mean.
I don't like to make excuses for such vices. They are all bad for you in excess, but since one is illegal, I'd say that's the worst.

:rolleyes: No one has ever died in any incident where marijuana was involved? Bitch, please.

"but since one is illegal, I'd say that's the worst."

Worst excuse for anything, ever. Magic mushrooms are illegal but they pose absolutely no bodily harm and if taken in a safe, correct environment can be entirely safe. Far far more so than something like Tobacco and Alcohol - which even when used properly are both bad for your body, and society. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it necessarily dangerous and/or harmful - just that some people don't want it allowed for whatever (moral/political/financial) reasons.

No one has ever died in any incident where marijuana was involved? Of course they have but that's not the point. If you look at the death cause directly by the consumption, weed deaths are essentially non-existant. If you look into other things as a whole (crashing cars, stupid mistakes etc) then weed would have some but would still have millions fewer deaths per year worldwise than both alcohol and tobacco put together. Tobacco (even though I'm personally addiced) I would consider the worst of three on a physical scale, but alcohol does far more damage to society. Costs the taxpayer millions of dollars/pounds every year in hospital bills alone. None of that for weed.

Would you prefer a nation of drinkers or a nation of stoners? Frankly, the world would be a more peaceful, happy (albeit less productive) place if all the drinkers switched to pot.

Speaking strictly from a SCIENTIFIC point of view, the scientists would generally agree that it's Alcohol, Tobacco and then Weed. If you're interested to see a graph with each chemical (plus many other legal/illegal substances) which gives them a score to 1-10, 10 being the most harmful (done by "UK Science and Technology Select Committee and submitted to the British House of Commons. It was published in July 2006."

"The report suggested that the current system of recreational drug classification in the UK was arbitrary and unscientific,[1] and suggested a more scientific measure of harm be used for classifying drugs. The report also strongly criticised the decision to place fresh psychedelic mushrooms in Class A—the same category as cocaine and heroin."

Graph:
Spoiler

Link to the wiki report, with a link to the full PDF if you're interested...
Spoiler

#212 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

Cody is viewing death count as the determinant for better or worse; however, it again depend on the way you look at it. Cigarettes won't affect you instantly, it's not an instant death wish as you take one. Where as somthing like alcohol can kill you from an overdose in one time, or maybe a car accident from intoxication or maybe just some dumb stunt because your brain wasn't functionally normally. Now the second option, marijuana/weed, is often laced with other drugs, in which many people do for the added affect; you'll develop halucinations which can also be very dangerous... I'm sure we've heard of stories of people jumping out of windows because they thought there was a fire, etc xD

Just because ciggarettes kill the most people annually, doesn't mean they're less dangerous. I would argue the first two are more dangerous in terms of short term while cigarettes will only kill you over a long period of usage and abuse.

Umm... Excuse me for making the assumption that death is at the farthest side of which is worse options... I made it clear that alcohol will be more worse for other aspects of your life... but assuming that life is the ultimate weight, and the loss of it would then be the absolute worst thing possible, Tobacco wins 2:1 on which is worse.

I'd also like to address the myth that you stated so matter of factly that marijuana is commonly laced with hallucinogens. First, Let's analyze this situation from a strictly capitalistic perspective and follow the money. I can sell 1 lb of product for $200 which I pay $160 for. (These aren't real numbers... they are to illustrate a point.) I can then choose to add hallucinogenic drugs to my product if I choose, but factoring in the additional $20 it will cost me to buy them, I am cutting my profits in half.

Hallucinogens are not addictive. They play a nearly non-existent role on the dopamine levels... People will not become addicted or anything of that nature and drug dealers are interested in making money. There is absolutely no reason that they would want to adulterate their product.

With that in mind, I'll assume you meant that the users were physically adding hallucinogens to their marijuana themselves. Considering that the only psychedelic drug (which is going to be a misnomer as PCP is actually a dissociative and an NMDA agonist) that is capable of taking effect by smoking is PCP. But even if that is your assumption, you are still wrong because you are now adding an entire new drug to the mix...

So no. Marijuana is without a doubt the least damaging (with the exception of legality) to a person. Cigarettes are clearly the worst for your health as is evident by the fatality statistics. Alcohol has the most dramatic effect on your personal life and is the most dangerous from a single use perspective.

Now that we have that all cleared up...

/thread

P.s. Thanks everyonedoesit for linking to a wonderful study that was done that I couldn't be bothered to find!

The issue. Is a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. If there was, the government would have ruled on it and we wouldn't have access to any of the 3.

When you look purely at fatalities, you will quickly see the gross error in your logic. I believe it is something like; Tobacco: 320,000/year Alcohol: 120,000/year Marijuana 0/year

There actually does appear to be a hard line right and wrong answer as to which is the worst for your health. :)

"Mother, may I trust the government?"

#213 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

Marijuna seriously needs to be legalized. Instead of spending as much as we do each year on a failed war against drugs, we could turn marijuana into a profitable enterprise by taxing it and make an inordinate amount of revenue from that excise tax. We saw the effects of the 18th Amendment, so we repealed it and legalized alcohol... So why not weed?

#214 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

I would have thought making president would be deemed a success.

is black - therefore not successfull

You really need to qualify your statements better. When you use words like "never," all it takes is one disproof to make you wrong.

Bob Marley

Now you are 100% wrong.

As much as I want to agree with you... The past three presidents of the U.S. have admitted to smoking marijuana...

I made my points on this argument much earlier and don't have the time or the desire to argue scientific data with people who will dispute it with circumstantial and/or anecdotal evidence...

Being president of a shithole makes you president shithole - therefore not successfull

Youd be surprised how many successful people in this world smoke weed and have been doing it for years. You'd also be surprised how many successful people do harder drugs too. And I'm talking successful like they've made their way through life and are living comfortably and have quite a bit of money cause of their really good job after going through years and years of college to get their Masters. Also I know quite a few weed smokers who go to school and get straight A's and 4.0's. I say that its just another excuse when people say "Weed ruined my life" cause you have the choice to get off your lazy ass and do something or just smoke and sit around. Quite a few of my friends go and smoke a bowl then go and work out in the backyard or something to clean it up and cut down trees and such. The weed motivates them to work. Otherwise normally they're lazy xD

Living a normal, comfortable life is not sucessfull. It's called not being a waste of space.

#215 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:10 AM

Being president of a shithole makes you president shithole - therefore not successfull

Living a normal, comfortable life is not sucessfull. It's called not being a waste of space.

Although I'm sure you are trolling, the United States is still the dominant force militarily in the world... and we're still pretty fucking wealthy even if we do have a sizable debt. (However, you brits have a higher per capita debt than we do...)

#216 Unseen

Unseen
  • Cultist of the Unseeing Eye

• 571 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:40 AM

On a wild tangent anyone else notice Scot has a slightly drooping eyelid.

I've seen both sides of the chain. :\ Frankly I think it all depends on the consumer. Everything is based on how a person reacts to it so studies aside , bad genes don't screw with it.

Edit: Can't Spell.

Edited by Unseen, 18 February 2011 - 05:41 AM.

#217 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

Although I'm sure you are trolling, the United States is still the dominant force militarily in the world... and we're still pretty fucking wealthy even if we do have a sizable debt. (However, you brits have a higher per capita debt than we do...)

Lol no. The RF and China have a larger and more efficent military force then the US with less spent on them. It's only because you invade countrie where their weapons of choice are sticks and potatoes that you're seen as a dominant force or happen to have a couple of nukes you wouldn't dare use.

#218 Fracture

Fracture
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Alcohol is probably the worst, as fun as it can be. It tears up your body and makes you feel like shit the day after. It also causes a lot of the accidents in America. Cigarettes are gross, and destroy your lungs, but over more of a slower period than alcohol. And weed, well weed isn't very good for your lungs, but thats about it.

#219 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Lol no. The RF and China have a larger and more efficent military force then the US with less spent on them. It's only because you invade countrie where their weapons of choice are sticks and potatoes that you're seen as a dominant force or happen to have a couple of nukes you wouldn't dare use.

China lies about their Military funding.

#220 mlv

mlv
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

cigarettes
file:///C:/Windows/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://www.tabac-stop-center.com/images/encigarette_composition.gif

#221 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:12 AM

cigarettes
file:///C:/Windows/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://www.tabac-stop-center.com/images/encigarette_composition.gif

Your doing it wrong...

Cigarettes. Took me forever to get off that shit -.-

#222 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

i hate weed. but i smoke cigarettes and drink. and i don't think weed is bad for you at all. if you disagree with that watch the documentary "the union" no matter how against weed you are, it is very interesting. i think cigarettes are the worst for your body.

#223 eatsrainbows

eatsrainbows
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

alcohol and cigarettes

#224 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

All three have their health problems, but the issues with Ciggerettes and Alcohol are much more prominent. Out of those two, I'll say Ciggerettes, just because of the fact you are not only polluting your own lungs, but then there's secondhand smoke, and the smoke that doesn't go into anybody.

And oh, weed is the best out of the three. ;)

#225 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

I remember a Family Guy episodes Brain mentioned Alcohol does more harm then Marijuana so probably drinking.
Cigarettes do worse to surroundings tho. Second hand lung cancer, 400 chemichals,etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users