Photo

P90X

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

just wanted to throw this out there. i recently finished this program with my boyfriend and it is the only exercise/diet program that has ever worked AMAZING.
i was 5"10 and 167 lbs after the standard 3 months i am now 130 lbs and i feel awesome. the diet is gay and i almost ate my arm off but that and the daily exercise video kicked MY ASS!! This is the only time in my life i have ever had a flat stomach and im in the best shape of my life and feeling great. Tony is also a great motivator :thumbsup: haha i sound like a commercial or something, oh well haha just wanted to say that this program really does kick butt and works awesome.

has anybody else done this program ?? i would love to hear about it

#2 neopedi2

neopedi2
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

I downloaded the whole series but never watched it >_>
It looks intense... glad to hear you feel good.

Some day.

#3 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

Lots of people say it works. But its not specific to P90X. You eat the same way and work out every so often you'll get the same results. Im so confused why people say that P90X worked so great but the others didnt. Did the others not include a dietary program? Because diet is like 80% of it when losing weight. When trying to gain muscle mass i would say 60% diet 40 lifting, and when trying to rip i would say 70 diet and 30 lifting.

#4 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

I watched a few of the exercises. I think they'll kick anyone's ass.

#5 angeladarling

angeladarling
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

My old friends brother was obsessed with P90x. Everytime I went over to her house he was doing it with his friends in the basement and they'd all come up and scream P90x over and over again. It worked very well for him. i dont talk to her anymore but her brother was a babe.

#6 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:56 AM

just wanted to throw this out there. i recently finished this program with my boyfriend and it is the only exercise/diet program that has ever worked AMAZING.
i was 5"10 and 167 lbs after the standard 3 months i am now 130 lbs and i feel awesome. the diet is gay and i almost ate my arm off but that and the daily exercise video kicked MY ASS!! This is the only time in my life i have ever had a flat stomach and im in the best shape of my life and feeling great. Tony is also a great motivator :thumbsup: haha i sound like a commercial or something, oh well haha just wanted to say that this program really does kick butt and works awesome.

I've done it for a week just to see how it was like. At that point I was already in good shape since I train at a MMA gym and had been lifting and doing a lot of cardio previously. The program is pretty easy no heavy weights and is just a good conditioning program however, it wasn't for me since for grappling I needed to increase my strength more than anything else since I already had a good gas tank. But just a little advice you could have achieved the same results on 5x5 starting strength combined with a good diet whether it be paleo or Tony Horton's (forgot if that's his last name or not). As long as your diet is in check you'll have great results. Anyways good job on your results =).

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Thanks panth that's exactly what Im saying. Just keep your diet in check and anything will work. I think this P90 guy got lucky.

#8 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

I've done it for a week just to see how it was like. At that point I was already in good shape since I train at a MMA gym and had been lifting and doing a lot of cardio previously. The program is pretty easy no heavy weights and is just a good conditioning program however, it wasn't for me since for grappling I needed to increase my strength more than anything else since I already had a good gas tank. But just a little advice you could have achieved the same results on 5x5 starting strength combined with a good diet whether it be paleo or Tony Horton's (forgot if that's his last name or not). As long as your diet is in check you'll have great results. Anyways good job on your results =).

i have always gone running for an hour in the evenings since i was younger and i used to go to the gym everyday and mostly maintain healthy eating habbits, but i never got results like p90x before, or i would not have posted :) the whole muscle confusion system really works well in my opinion. im just saying that it was the easiest step by step program that only took 50 mins everyday (you get rest days too). and i didint have to go to the disgusting gym anymore and have guys stare at me when im trying to work out, i still go running most days just beacuse i enjoy it but doing the rest in my own livingroom is really nice. just like myself i know there are many many many women who also feel like they are put into a glass box when they go to a crowded gym. and this is an awesome alternative.

i dont know why you would have posession of the videos and only do it for 1 week, if i only did it for a week and exspected anything to come out of it, i wouldent get any results whatsoever. i would like to hear what you have to say when you actually participate and complete the first 3 months. the first 3 months is only the warmup btw..but being female and very happy with my physique i only do the first 3 month videos.

Edited by Greatgenes, 25 July 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#9 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

I think i might try p90x when i try to rip.

Heres a tip for you at the gym genes: if guys are staring maybe try loose fitting clothes. Dont say you cant do it because all men do it, and a bunch of chicks do too. sure we can still see your tits bounce when you run though but what can you do.

#10 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Heres a tip for you at the gym genes: if guys are staring maybe try loose fitting clothes. Dont say you cant do it because all men do it, and a bunch of chicks do too. sure we can still see your tits bounce when you run though but what can you do.

haha thanks for the tip..LOL

#11 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I know huh. Its common sense isn't it? But none of you seem to have that. Either that or you think shorts that ride up your cooch are hawt. Ive seen people pick that out unconsciously :x3:

#12 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

i have always gone running for an hour in the evenings since i was younger and i used to go to the gym everyday and mostly maintain healthy eating habbits, but i never got results like p90x before, or i would not have posted :) the whole muscle confusion system really works well in my opinion. im just saying that it was the easiest step by step program that only took 50 mins everyday (you get rest days too). and i didint have to go to the disgusting gym anymore and have guys stare at me when im trying to work out, i still go running most days just beacuse i enjoy it but doing the rest in my own livingroom is really nice. just like myself i know there are many many many women who also feel like they are put into a glass box when they go to a crowded gym. and this is an awesome alternative.

i dont know why you would have posession of the videos and only do it for 1 week, if i only did it for a week and exspected anything to come out of it, i wouldent get any results whatsoever. i would like to hear what you have to say when you actually participate and complete the first 3 months. the first 3 months is only the warmup btw..but being female and very happy with my physique i only do the first 3 month videos.

Oh the reason I had it was because some random relative gave it to me I was like O_o since I was already at like 7-9% body fat at that point I didn't feel I needed the videos, the reason I used it was because wrestling season was over and my car was getting repaired that week so I had no convenient way of going to the MMA gym or 24 Fitness. I also plan on becoming a strength and conditioning coach one day and through my studies in that subject I find that you can not increase strength through the high repetitions that Tony Horton endorses. Even 8 reps is a bit high so I didn't feel I needed it since most good strength programs employ a system of progressive resistance (increase weight each workout) such as Rippetoe's Starting Strength and West Side for Skinny Bastards (Tony Horton's program is not designed for strength gains like Rippetoe's program is). Tony Horton's program is just a conditioning program for those who are out of shape and at the time I was still at my best athletically considering season had just ended a week earlier so the workouts themselves were easy for me so I just stopped the program. The reason followers of p90x get results is because if you stick to a workout program and decent diet long enough you will get results and most people need a structured program because they do not know the right information. If you want to continue to be more fit and get stronger and healthier look up John Berardi and his 7 habits of diet (he is one of the best at what he does) and the reason you may not have gotten results previous to P90x may be because you don't do compound movements such as Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Bench Press, Pullups, Dips, Power Cleans, and Squats these are the cream of the crop in lifts and guarantee the best results since they cover more areas of the body than isolation exercises. Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is a good program that incorporates those lifts. Not trying to argue just stating what I have learned through personal experience and what I have learned from some of the best S&C coaches and nutrition coaches. Also, muscle confusion is a myth ;). I hope my advice helps =).

P.S. P90X does work I'm not saying it doesn't just that I needed a different program to suit my needs since I am an athlete so don't stop what you're doing if you feel it suits you and you just want to be fit instead of increasing strength. Anyways good job on your results =).

On a hypocaloric diet it is best to do something along the lines of 3x5 and not 2x12-15 per exercise. Since your body on a hypocaloric diet has less energy to expend and workouts like p90x tend to be more catabolic than anabolic.

Also that's some good advice haha. I tell my gf that whenever she complains of guys staring at her when she's at the gym without me.

#13 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

Oh so what diet is good for ripping?

#14 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

i've done this twice. once while i was deployed, i was a co-instructor for a remedial PT program for the more overweight soldiers. everyone lost weight (including myself!!). before deployment, i was about 160lbs, a week before we left afghanistan, i was 139lbs... i've never been that "light' before, BUT, i was not only doing P90x, but also hitting the "gym" daily (it was a tent with a couple of weight benches), i was completely ripped, and had very little body fat. upon returning to the states, i stopped working out and ballooned to almost 170lbs...

i just went on a 2 week leave, and decided since everyone goes on leave, and gains like 5-10lbs, i would do the opposite. i don't follow the entire course, but just work out to a different video every day, and i've lost about 5lbs in two weeks (i'm currently about 152lbs(-ish)), and am starting to look really sculpted again. it's a really good feeling. the whole muscle confusion is perfect for sculpting and burning calories like crazy. just hitting the gym and doing the same 6-7 workouts doesn't do anything for you in the long run, except make about 3 muscle groups bulge and become pretty useless doing common tasks. take into account an army PT test, we have to test muscle strength/endurance and cardio. we're timed to do 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps and a 2 mile run. you have to do a certain amount (or make a certain time for your run), or you fail. my last PT test was a 281 out of a possible 300 (and this was before doing the P90x), so i'm curious to see what the next test will be if i continue using it. :)

#15 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Oh so what diet is good for ripping?

Without being there with you I can't properly gauge a diet for you in terms of calories since everyone's bodies are different however these websites can help you you may have to adjust if you're not losing a pound a week (normal amount of weekly weight loss on a cut).
http://www.bmi-calcu...bmr-calculator/
http://www.bmi-calcu...edict-equation/
after you have calculated everything you should lower the calories you need for maintenance by around 500 a day. Since I follow a paleo diet It's always been pretty easy for me to be cut since my body tends to be in a state of ketosis. If you feel up to it Paleo is a good diet which does have some controversy because a lot of people in the nutrition field don't believe in giving up whole grains. However, if you don't feel it is right for you I would just recommend a diet with around your bodyweight in protein if you weight 160 increase the fats to around .4-.5g/lb so if you weigh 160 around 64-80 grams of fat a day would be perfect and the rest in carbs. For example a 160 lb man would only need around 1800 calories on a cut they would intake around 160g protein/80g fat which together=1360 calories (fat=9 protein and carbs=4g) so 110 carbs a day for a 160lb man would be perfect. Try to take in complex carbs like sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta rather than simple carbs like white rice, white bread, etc however, fruits are good sources of simple carbs. Any lean cuts of meat, fish, and poultry, cottage cheese, whey protein or chocolate milk, and eggs are good sources of protein. For fats peanut butter, nuts, coconut oil, or olive oil, and the fat in meats are good sources. For cardio which helps in fat loss HIIT sprints are good and lift weights around 3x a week. Also PWO take in a drink that has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein chocolate milk is good for this or you can just blend in protein with some simple carbs that equate to a 4:1 ratio, I would prefer the chocolate milk because of the taste tho haha =) (biased). Bodybuilding.com is a pretty good source if you want to learn more. John Berardi's 7 habits of diet is also a good blueprint of how to eat.

websites for more information:
chocolate milk as recovery drink pwo:
http://www.bodyrecom...e-recovery.html
(Alan Aragorn isn't as highly regarded as John Berardi imo but he is still one of the best in nutrition for sports)
Paleo: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/
this diet actually fits in nicely with John Berardi's 7 habits of diet:
http://www.johnberar...ion/7habits.htm
Starting Strength information can be found @
http://startingstrength.com/
John Berardi's article on interval training which is what Hiit is a form of:
http://www.precision...terval-training
*also has a nice pic of GSP training he's such a good athlete I had the pleasure of training with him in Canada once during a summer vacation and he is really one of the best in MMA I'm a Brown Belt in Jujitsu and he made me feel like a white belt.

I don't have time to look up the protein/fact/carb breakdowns as I have to go the gym but if you researched it I'm sure you'll get the same macro breakdowns as what I have posted.

Edited by pathentic, 26 July 2010 - 06:23 PM.

#16 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Wow thanks man! That's really helpful/quality stuff. Thanks man!

#17 westbigballin

westbigballin
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

P90x has "worked" for a lot of my friends. They mostly do it to keep in shape during the off-season of their sports (soccer, volleyball, etc)
It's mostly a cardio workout with minimal real weight lifting involved - just bodyweight exercises. Good for the average joe looking to keep fit at home / slim down.

If anyone here is interested in real bodybuilding routines, hit me up and I'll be more than happy to share.

#18 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

P90x has "worked" for a lot of my friends. They mostly do it to keep in shape during the off-season of their sports (soccer, volleyball, etc)
It's mostly a cardio workout with minimal real weight lifting involved - just bodyweight exercises. Good for the average joe looking to keep fit at home / slim down.

If anyone here is interested in real bodybuilding routines, hit me up and I'll be more than happy to share.

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is better than a bodybuilding routine . . . biased: but It has given me the strength I needed for wrestling and Rippetoe is one of the best in S&C. ;)

Edited by pathentic, 26 July 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#19 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hey bro can you post about it here. It would fit real nice with panths posts. So i can read it all in one place. Doesnt have to be elaborate. But i would really like to hear a little about it.

#20 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

for those who posted good things about P90X, thats awesome you got results :) i dont know very much about body building and stuff but i know that there is advanced videos for people who are ready for the next step up from the 90 day program, and the P90X forums are awesome :)

#21 WakaWaka

WakaWaka
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

for those who posted good things about P90X, thats awesome you got results :) i dont know very much about body building and stuff but i know that there is advanced videos for people who are ready for the next step up from the 90 day program, and the P90X forums are awesome :)

I lost about 20 lbs in 3 months just by doing most of the workouts.
I have stopped now, as I have started going to the gym.
p90 is good for losing weight, but I personally find it not effective building muscles.
I will probably revisit the cardio work outs again when im cutting but til then its gonna be on the shelf.

#22 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

Watched one video, don't know if they are all the same exercises or if they work out every muscle group, but this video was mainly working on your legs. I consider myself quite fit, but this video required major flexibility (I cannot for my life). Don't like the hype at all, use your own exercises.

#23 westbigballin

westbigballin
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hey bro can you post about it here. It would fit real nice with panths posts. So i can read it all in one place. Doesnt have to be elaborate. But i would really like to hear a little about it.

what do you want to know?
here's some basic programs to get you started

West Side For Skinny Bastards
any 5x5 program - Bill Starr's, Rippetoe's are both great 5x5 programs
do compound lifts, once you've been lifting for a while, change it up to compunds and isos and whatnot

bodybuilding.com forums are the best fitness forums out there

I lost about 20 lbs in 3 months just by doing most of the workouts.
I have stopped now, as I have started going to the gym.
p90 is good for losing weight, but I personally find it not effective building muscles.
I will probably revisit the cardio work outs again when im cutting but til then its gonna be on the shelf.

yea you can't gain much muscle off p90x because its a cardio heavy program that emphasizes kicking your ass into shape and getting you fit / possibly losing weight. the lifting involved in it is mostly bodyweight exercises

#24 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

what do you want to know?
here's some basic programs to get you started

West Side For Skinny Bastards
any 5x5 program - Bill Starr's, Rippetoe's are both great 5x5 programs
do compound lifts, once you've been lifting for a while, change it up to compunds and isos and whatnot

bodybuilding.com forums are the best fitness forums out there

yea you can't gain much muscle off p90x because its a cardio heavy program that emphasizes kicking your ass into shape and getting you fit / possibly losing weight. the lifting involved in it is mostly bodyweight exercises

Haha wow I thought you were talking about a fail bodybuilding routine. WSFSB and Rippetoes and Bill Starr are some of the best programs out there, nice recommendations. However, Rippetoe's is 3x5 not 5x5 and I personally wouldn't recommend isos unless the person can bench 1.5x their weight squat 1.75 times their weight and deadlift 2x their weight. And Bodybuilding.com forums are some of the most biased forums out there O_o but it has its benefits as it is one of the biggest bb forums out there and has some good nuggets of information. I agree with what you said about P90x it is just a conditioning exercise but imo any decently athletic person would not have a problem going through the workouts.

Edited by pathentic, 27 July 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#25 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

Watched one video, don't know if they are all the same exercises or if they work out every muscle group, but this video was mainly working on your legs. I consider myself quite fit, but this video required major flexibility (I cannot for my life). Don't like the hype at all, use your own exercises.

just legs? more than likely that was plyometrics... that's one of the toughest of all of them. many different videos focus on many different muscle groups. don't base your bias on one short viewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users