Mozilla should just give up. Honestly.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Posted Image
You may be thinking, isn't this Chrome? Nope.

This is a screeny the latest version beta version of firefox.

It looks identical to chrome now but it still has the 200k memory from only 7 tabs open. Chrome is still superior :/

#2 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:11 AM

Once more extensions come out on Chrome to match the addons of Firefox then all google needs is marketing. Once that happens, I can imagine the userbase for firefox will go down just like IE but I don't think they'll ever die out completely.

The only thing I miss from firefox is adblock plus but the chrome extension works alright.

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

Some of their ideas for future additions like Tab Candy look very interesting.

http://www.theregist...efox_tab_candy/

Watch the video there.

#4 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

Has Chrome got something like NoScript yet? That's a big deal breaker for me at the moment.

#5 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

I think chrome has most of the decent addons for Firefox down already; I don't even need to load firefox anymore with the latest version of chrome, it fixed the incompatibility issues with Admuncher (The ultimate adblocking program, highly recommended to download this. You will never get a virus from browsing a website. Message me and I will give you a link to download this)

Watch the video there.

That sounds pretty cool but if I really wanted to organize my tabs I could just make a new window and have tabs related to whatever I'm doing on that one window only and if I wanted to start something new I could just make a new window again. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

#6 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

Firefox is way better for restockers and lazy people like me :)
Type PH and you go to the Neopian Pharmacy in 1 more click <3 CH - Chocolate Factory and so on.
Count Von Roo - Count
Healing Springs - H
Illusen Glade - G
Jhudora's Cloud - JH
Its really easy for me =)

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Firefox is really pretty good. Chromes space saving ideas are nice though and their favorites shown on launch. Its open source everyone is sharing ideas. Like chrome used ferfoxes favorite bar, and tab drag out to make it a new window. The whole javascript extension idea.

I think it was smart of FF to use chromes space saving techniques (Ex: no status bar, tabs on top). it makes the window better.

Then FF is coming with JeagerMonkey. They already have the fastest JS, but some places cant use the trace method thats why in tests it comes out slower then other browsers. So FF is taking their JS and when it cant trace it will fall back on the webkit js so then its guaranteed faster.

Oh dont forget their vid acceleration: http://www.google.co...048apkznpkW2uVw

#8 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

i still love FF the most
for one they've got many great addons and chrome still needs to add them all
f.e. firebug is a lifesaver for webdesigners, and one of a kind ^^
it also remembers what sites i visit most and when i start typing it gives me suggestions of those sites, and other usability tricks

#9 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Whenever I use FF and have like 40 tabs open it lags immensely. This is not the case for Chrome. It seems like they never fix that, so I am forced to stay away from FF. Although I haven't tested the newest 4.0 yet really

#10 fxckyouguys

fxckyouguys
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

This made me want to give Chrome a try, since i've been living in a cave and haven't already.

#11 WakaWaka

WakaWaka
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

noscript is the only reason Ive been hanging on to FF.
That and it's faster than IE.
When using neopets, the only time FF lags for me reaalllllyyy bad with just ONE TAB OPEN is when im at faerieland.

#12 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Chrome lets you disable javascript (globally or domain). Just add '[*.]www.neopets.com' to the exceptions list and set it to 'Block'. It really isn't that hard if you ask me.

#13 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

I think that tab candy is a good idea. Except rather then open a panel when i click that button. It should slide down and show the tab titels like a vb6 titles you know what i mean? that one was cool. Where could i suggest that?

#14 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

For some funny reason, Chrome always freezes on me. I can't open a new tab without it freezing for a few minutes And I really hate it when I accidentally clicked on the download tab and it just cancelled my whole download <_< FF is still the best in download speed and script blocking for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by stellanox, 27 July 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#15 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

I just don't really like Chrome, and I want to try and hold onto Firefox for now. =/ Down with the Google Monopoly.

#16 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

I've used Firefox the last 3 years it is the fastest browser I've ever used and has great add-ons that help with me with my web browsing I don't think Chrome is going to change my love for Firefox it's features don't impress me.

#17 aweroij

aweroij
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

It's good to see Chrome developers accomplished what they set out to do, which is stir up competition among browsers to make them better.
Seriously, no one cares about minimalist UI, super-fast Javascript engines, snappy tab loading, etc until Chrome comes along and makes every other browser look like shit.

Firefox 2.0:
Posted Image

Firefox 3.0:
Posted Image

Firefox 4.0 - Holy shit, what the hell happened? (Chrome happened):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PnjIfC6cw

It looks identical to chrome now but it still has the 200k memory from only 7 tabs open. Chrome is still superior :/

IE8 and Chrome use entirely separate processes per tab (aka sand-boxing) which comes with the downside of more memory overhead per tab.
Not saying Chrome uses more memory than Firefox, but saying architecturally it should.
But what tech geek (no offence) in 2010 that installs Firefox 4.0b2 really cares about RAM usage in the days of cheap plentiful RAM?
Personally, I'm really more interested in the Javascript engines & Direct2D in Firefox 4.0 sounds intriguing.

The only thing I miss from firefox is adblock plus but the chrome extension works alright.

http://www.downloads...-they-download/
Good enough for me.

Watch the video there.

http://www.downloads...-google-chrome/
I prefer that. I never have more than 10 tabs or so open at a time anyway.

Has Chrome got something like NoScript yet? That's a big deal breaker for me at the moment.

http://techie-buzz.c...gle-chrome.html
Crude, but enough of a deal maker for me. I just wish it had "temporarily allow for this session" like NoScript.

Then FF is coming with JeagerMonkey. They already have the fastest slowest JS, but some places cant use the trace method thats why in tests it comes out slower then other browsers. So FF is taking their JS and when it cant trace it will fall back on the webkit SpiderMonkey js so then its guaranteed faster.

Also speaking of Javascript: http://imrannazar.co...Script:-The-CPU. That'll be freakin awesome if it comes to completion.

Edited by aweroij, 27 July 2010 - 04:10 PM.

#18 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Im not going to lie...FF is fast...its actually good..Way better protected than IE...Although, Safari/Opera is decent..for me on this comp Chrome is horribly slow..way slower than IE...On my other computers its fast but I guess its my wireless internet and malware....Google should step their game up and dominate, btw The Google owner and Apple owner..I saw them playing golf at, if anyone in California knows, Fry's Electronics private golf course at Palo Alto...Steve Jobs has a fucking awesome house...

#19 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

You know a ton about FF that's so cool. That's awesome seeing the trend from FF2 to 3 to 4. SpiderMonkey was used by a few and is what FF currently falls back on. TraceMonkey, is the fastest out there. But when it comes to certain things it just can't trace (common things like loops I hear), then it falls back on SpiderMonkey. In FF 4 they will be falling back on what safari/chrome uses for their webkit engine. So i soooo can't wait for that as I make some huge things in javascript and could realllly use that speed boost. :drool:

Whoa AppTab is pretty cool. TabCandy i think is a mix up of FoxTabs addon without the animation. But still I cant wait for it FoxTabs uses flash. The thing about side tabs is the toggle b/w side and non-side isn't smooth. I think if TabCandy used my quick access idea it would rock!

Haha that emulator would be kinda cool. I played around with canvas and its kind of slow/doesn't the way you expect it to. I'm sure they'll improve that.

I heard Chrome's ad blocking extensions don't prevent the add from being downloaded, but just prevents it from being displayed. Did they fix that yet?

No way Palo Alto isn't far from me I'm in Cali too! I never knew that's where jobs lived. lol Ill stop by say hi for you warrior :p

One thing I would like to see in FF is a lot more animation fx.

Oh i dont like how the tabs are above the menu bar. I want them below the nav bar and stuff :'(

#20 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

hahaha yea I live in the bay area..right by silicon valley..Jobs is in Palo Alto, the west end not the east since the east is ghetto...His multi-miliion dollar house is so un-real..the only bad thing is the neighborhood..too many regulations and rules such as no leaf blowers allowed at all..The cops actually write a citation for that crap....But right near his house is the C.E.O. of Fry's electrionics 18 hole private club golf course. I sometimes go there with friends and see them..Its a beautiful area..Any rich techie lives near PA...its one of the nicest/richest areas to live in, although right next door is one of the ghettoest areas...hjahah Security will kick you out Noit XP

Since Palo Alto is near Mtn View/SJ where Ebay/Google/Yahoo is located a bunch of rich ass people live there or in the SJ mountains..quite nice areas..shoot even MC Hammer, who lived in Fremont, the city I live in, had a huge house with a gold plated fence with a hammer on it..it was epic when I went there....

#21 aweroij

aweroij
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

I heard Chrome's ad blocking extensions don't prevent the add from being downloaded, but just prevents it from being displayed. Did they fix that yet?

For the most part. https://chrome.googl...cnamgkkbiglidom

New in version 2.0: Ads are actually BLOCKED FROM DOWNLOADING now, instead of just being removed after the fact!Note that Chrome doesn't actually support this all the way, so a few resources might still load before AdBlock can get to them, in which case we'll remove those as usual. AdBlock does block resources flawlessly in Safari -- get it at safariadblock.com.

Oh i dont like how the tabs are above the menu bar. I want them below the nav bar and stuff :'(

You can toggle it off. :)

#22 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

I use both chrome and firefox, honestly chrome is better, but firefox has greasemonkey (which makes it all worth it :D)

#23 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Oh niiice!
I just watched some vids on it and they are saying that tabs on top might be smarter. I don't know. :lookaround:

I use a ton of addons for FF too erektion :p

#24 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:27 AM

currently the only thing i like about chrome is the instant translating option, but thats it
i'm just also kinda against the whole 'google domination'-thing
though i agree with aweroij that it stirs up competition between browsers
it's amazing what crap browser IE is! maybe finally bill gates will open his eyes and get a serious update on it, bcz nr9 seems like another proof how ancient IE is as a browser
and that with google having a browser, perhaps also the 'common' internet user will try using chrome as a browser instead of IE
as a webdesigner, my hate for IE grows stronger daily >.<

#25 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

Just wondering am I the only one that lags badly with google chrome? I installed it today and It took 3 seconds to load a page when on FF it takes me less than a second O.O.

<br />currently the only thing i like about chrome is the instant translating option, but thats it<br />i'm just also kinda against the whole 'google domination'-thing<br />though i agree with aweroij that it stirs up competition between browsers<br />it's amazing what crap browser IE is! maybe finally bill gates will open his eyes and get a serious update on it, bcz nr9 seems like another proof how ancient IE is as a browser<br />and that with google having a browser, perhaps also the 'common' internet user will try using chrome as a browser instead of IE<br />as a webdesigner, my hate for IE grows stronger daily &gt;.&lt;<br />

<br /><br /><br />

IKR? IE sucks so much. The day I tried firefox all the windows opened so much faster and there was no lag at all needless to say I made FF into my default browser and have kept it since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users