• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

'But you're using that same tactic to try to feel superior to me, too!' 'Sorry, that accusation expires after one use per conversation.'

View the full article

#2 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

hahaha...so true.

Posted Image

#3 Kelvee

Kelvee
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

(Sorry in advance if I offend many people with my messages)

I do agree with that comic. I'm proud to say that I'm Christian. When I was young, I was taught that God is the Alpha and Omega which can be interpreted as "the only damn thing worth pursing in this life because everything else in this world can easily and drastically end. Yet God will still be there" for any Christian. Some egotistic Christians interpret the Alpha and Omega statement as "Oh look, since I'm with God, I'm invincible. Screw You, Atheists and non-Christian religions." They muster up excessive pride for themselves so that they feel confident in themselves. Mentally, Atheists are no different. They make their own ideals so that they can mentally survive on their own without the reliance or fear of God. People, religious or not, cling onto ideals to take pride in to make themselves feel secure, even if the result is excessive pride and feelings of superiority

(Sorry again if I angered anyone.:x3:)

#4 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

I do agree with that comic. I'm proud to say that I'm Christian. When I was young, I was taught that God is the Alpha and Omega which can be interpreted as "the only damn thing worth pursing in this life because everything else in this world can easily and drastically end. Yet God will still be there" for any Christian. Some egotistic Christians interpret the Alpha and Omega statement as "Oh look, since I'm with God, I'm invincible. Screw You, Atheists and non-Christian religions." They muster up excessive pride for themselves so that they feel confident in themselves. Mentally, Atheists are no different. They make their own ideals so that they can mentally survive on their own without the reliance or fear of God. People, religious or not, cling onto ideals to take pride in to make themselves feel secure, even if the result is excessive pride and feelings of superiority

I like your approach to things :).

#5 Kelvee

Kelvee
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

I like your approach to things :).

Thank you XD Some people say that I'm quite unorthodox when it comes to explaining idea, but I'd rather think myself as being more willing to be expressive.

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:26 PM

Thank you XD Some people say that I'm quite unorthodox when it comes to explaining idea, but I'd rather think myself as being more willing to be expressive.

Oops.

Unorthodox, perhaps. Still wrong? Definitely.

First of all, you subtly implied that some Christians are assholes. Well done, I completely agree.
But then, you carried on to say that the same thing applies to all atheists. Thin veil of tolerance completely subverted.

It's clear that you have no idea what this atheist feels, and probably 95% of other atheists too.
Personally, I don't "cling to the idea of no God". I find the idea of a god unconvincing, and thus, I don't believe it to be the case.
Much like cold fusion, or homeotherapy.

If presented with contrary, convincing evidence, I'd be more than happy to change my mind. There's the elusive difference between the lunatic fringe Christians, and everysingleatheisteveromg.

#7 Kelvee

Kelvee
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Oops.

First of all, you subtly implied that some Christians are assholes. Well done, I completely agree.
But then, you carried on to say that the same thing applies to all atheists. Thin veil of tolerance completely subverted.

It's clear that you have no idea what this atheist feels, and probably 95% of other atheists too.
Personally, I don't "cling to the idea of no God". I find the idea of a god unconvincing, and thus, I don't believe it to be the case.

If presented with contrary, convincing evidence, I'd be more than happy to change my mind. There's the elusive difference between the lunatic fringe Christians, and everysingleatheisteveromg.

Ouch. I admit that I don't know how an atheist feels and I also don't know what one may or may not believe. I was very presumptuous and immature for stating short-minded thought. I also admit that I should of clarified and cemented my ideas better before posting. I'm tempted to write more, but I would rather not because I believe that what I would relay is something that you would not even consider possibilities as high up and superior as evidence. Instead, I'll just shut up. Thank you for critically tearing up my 1 minute post.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:12 AM

Ouch. I admit that I don't know how an atheist feels and I also don't know what one may or may not believe. I was very presumptuous and immature for stating short-minded thought. I also admit that I should of clarified and cemented my ideas better before posting. I'm tempted to write more, but I would rather not because I believe that what I would relay is something that you would not even consider possibilities as high up and superior as evidence. Instead, I'll just shut up. Thank you for critically tearing up my 1 minute post.

For a minute, I thought you were being genuinely apologetic for acting like the bigots you claimed to deride.
Maybe next time, eh?

#9 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:36 AM

Oh, you guys!

#10 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

Oh, you guys!

Yeah, you guys!  There goes Sweeney UH-GAIN, thinkin' he all that just because he don't believe in Mr. Haysoos. And there goes another proud Christian proclaiming modesty and tolerance but still somehow sounding holier-than-thou. Where does it all end, you guys? Come on, you guys. I suggest a Beer summit. 

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

What about for those that don't drink :(. Where is your tolerance now?!

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

What about for those that don't drink :(. Where is your tolerance now?!

Non-alcoholic beer. :p

#13 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Non-alcoholic beer. :p

lol what's the point of that?

#14 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

For those of odd religious persuasions (and drivers).

#15 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

to make me look cool until people examine closer and realize that I'm really a douchebag

side note: I am so glad that spell-check knows what the fuck a douchebag is

#16 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

I don't "make [my] own ideals so that I can mentally survive on my own without the reliance or fear of God". That makes it sound like I'm deliberately ignoring something, when I'm not. I've considered the evidence that exists. :p

Why would I rely or fear something that I don't have enough evidence to say exists? Seems kind of weird, like mentally preparing myself to live without fearing the Flying Spaghetti Monster or something as equally fictional. :/

#17 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Not going to touch arguments with an atheist even with a ten foot pole. It's like arguing with a wall that bounces back everything you say Posted Image

#18 Redemptionist

Redemptionist
  • 382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

Not going to touch arguments with an atheist even with a ten foot pole. It's like arguing with a wall that bounces back everything you say Posted Image

I totally agree with you everything you say to an atheist about god or religion they are just going to say some other shit

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

I totally agree with you everything you say to an atheist about god or religion they are just going to say some other shit

Oh, cry more.

If you don't want people to make fun of your beliefs, don't have such silly beliefs.
Simples.

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:02 AM

Oops.

You know that there are atheists that kill people who believe in God right? Atheism has became its own form of religion for most people, with its own lunatics who think that God has to be purged from earth for humanity to survive, etc etc.

I do agree that you dont hate people who believe in God, you simply do not feel that logic states that God exists, and dont believe in him. Which is what atheist should be like. But I know plenty of them who believe that Christianity is the enemy and that all of them are evil. :|. (Btw. If a person says "I'm Christan" it makes him Christan, so if they say "I'm atheist" they are atheists. Regardless of if they follow the beliefs of either group.)

I don't "make [my] own ideals so that I can mentally survive on my own without the reliance or fear of God". That makes it sound like I'm deliberately ignoring something, when I'm not. I've considered the evidence that exists. :p

Why would I rely or fear something that I don't have enough evidence to say exists? Seems kind of weird, like mentally preparing myself to live without fearing the Flying Spaghetti Monster or something as equally fictional. :/

Pfft. Dont lie. I bet you believe in alot of things you have no witnessed yourself, or no one has witnessed. (Ex. Evolution)

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

You know that there are atheists that kill people who believe in God right? Atheism has became its own form of religion for most people, with its own lunatics who think that God has to be purged from earth for humanity to survive, etc etc.

Relevance? I criticised his duplicity in referring to select groups of christians, but the entirety of athiests.

I do agree that you dont hate people who believe in God, you simply do not feel that logic states that God exists, and dont believe in him. Which is what atheist should be like.

Fair ^^

But I know plenty of them who believe that Christianity is the enemy and that all of them are evil. :|. (Btw. If a person says "I'm Christan" it makes him Christan, so if they say "I'm atheist" they are atheists. Regardless of if they follow the beliefs of either group.)

If they don't believe in God, they are atheists.
Luckily, since atheism isn't a religion, I'm not associated with these morons. They're not violent, or stupid, or hate-filled because they're atheists, and they can't use atheism to justify their actions.
They're just one more breed of imbecile.

#22 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:08 AM

I believe they call that a debate. :p

#23 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:35 AM

If they don't believe in God, they are atheists.
Luckily, since atheism isn't a religion, I'm not associated with these morons. They're not violent, or stupid, or hate-filled because they're atheists, and they can't use atheism to justify their actions.
They're just one more breed of imbecile.

I can tell you. Christianity does no believe that we should be blowing up abortion clinics. Why do those people get to be called Christan then?. If I want to play up an abortion clinic, am I going to be labeled a Christan? If someone blew up a church in the name of atheism, that would be the same thing. But I dont see anyone complaining about how evil atheism is? :p

I believe they call that a debate. :p

Hrm. Interesting conclusion. (Spam post ftw)

#24 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

I know right, its like those silly atheists actually listen to the thinly veiled excuses you make up to satisfy your god fearing life and present a reasonable counter argument.

I myself cling to agnosticism. Call me an indecisive bastard, but at least I am happy.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

I can tell you. Christianity does no believe that we should be blowing up abortion clinics. Why do those people get to be called Christan then?. If I want to play up an abortion clinic, am I going to be labeled a Christan? If someone blew up a church in the name of atheism, that would be the same thing. But I dont see anyone complaining about how evil atheism is? :p

Christianity doesn't believe anything :p

The point is, that you can use Christianity (or pretty much any other religion) to justify horrible things. The same cannot be said of atheism.
I'm not saying that people who like to kill Christians aren't atheist. Maybe they are, but it's not why they kill people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users