Photo

Good desktop build?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Well, I might be using this computer for computer simulations/number crunching also, so I am looking for a pretty good processor. :p As for the gaming, I've seen the benchmarks and reviews on the GT 240 and I'm comfortable with its capabilities and limitations. :p

Have you considered an AMD system based around a 1055T or anything else from that family? If you need more processing power then the 6 cores are superior to the i5/i7 processors of the same tier but obviously for gaming the i's have it in most cases(based on stock speeds). It also overclocks just as well as it's parent 1090T up to 4ghz.

Could just buy something like their kit here for something in the 600's. The combo isn't really even saving that much just 70 dollars. And I suppose if you really want to play games :p you could buy a dedicated GPU instead of the onboard 4200...which is low class. All in all though it has similar performance to a i7-920.

Then again, I wonder how long it will be till the sandy bridge (intel) and bulldozer(amd) cpus come out.

Edit: oh their supposed release date is in 2010 Q4 if you want to hold your breath that long :lol2:

Edit: P.S. ATI will be coming out with their Southern Island chips 6000 series in October-November and they announced there would be price cuts to the 5000 series.

Edit again: There are quite a lot of deals like the 5770 being on sale for 90-100 dollars on newegg on the occasion. I saw it twice but that was after I bought a GTX 460.

Edited by Faval, 13 August 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#27 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

Intel Coreā„¢ i5 Processor 760 2.8GHz w/ 8MB Cache (Quad-Core)
Asus P7P55 LX w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E, CrossFireX (Memory upgradeable to 16 GB total)
HIS Radeon HD 5750 iCooler 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (DX11 support)
Corsair 4 GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 2GB)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA II w/ 32MB Cache
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Corsair VX 550W Power Supply
Antec Six Hundred Gaming Case

End Cost: Approx. $950 CAD (~$925 USD)
----------------
Trying to reduce the expense, which is why I chose the i5 vs. the i7 processor. I'm fine with not having HyperThreading since I probably won't be running anything that needs 8 cores. I plan to overclock it to around the 3.5 GHz range, but not pushing it to extremes (~4 GHz and up has been seen with the processor). Also, triple channel memory (with an i7 setup) is something that I don't really need, given that I'm trying to cut costs.

As to avoid having shit graphics (I'll be running two monitors from the DVI and HDMI ports in 1920x1080 resolution), I opted for an ATI Radeon 5750 GPU. I don't play games too often though, I just want something that can play games on a moderate level without sucking, and run both my monitors excellently. :p
---------------
Let me know what you think. :p

Why Caviar Black? They're overpriced. Spinpoint F3s offer the same performance for a much lower price. But I made the same mistake of buying a Caviar Black too; I didn't read the reviews then.

Thats a really nice build, nonetheless.

Edited by Live, 13 August 2010 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users