Buying a new laptop!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Heya, my family has discussing about buying a new laptop for me since school is starting and we might be able get some deals. I know nothing about computer, as in which are good, which are bad.. etc. Our budget is around 500 CAD but we can go higher to 700CAD if necessary. So I'm asking you guys, what are considered 'good' computers? We are considering buying a sony one, would that be a good choice? like, space.. speed, etc, no idea how to choose. Would love to get some help here :p

Edited by Code, 28 August 2010 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

It really depends on the things that you intend on doing with that laptop for (uploading/watching videos, playing games, media editing, etc.)

But basic rule of thumb for me is to avoid Compaqs, Acers and Gateways. Worst possible brands you could ever get.
Also, go for Intel Processors more than AMDs, they tend to cause you less problems with long-term use (one big issue with AMD is that they overheat in the long run)

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

But basic rule of thumb for me is to avoid Compaqs, Acers and Gateways. Worst possible brands you could ever get.

I disagree with avoiding Acer. I've had my Acer for over 4 years with almost no problems at all (only a single non-functioning key after 4 years)...

#4 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

I disagree with avoiding Acer. I've had my Acer for over 4 years with almost no problems at all (only a single non-functioning key after 4 years)...

Agreed - acers used to be pretty basic but have really developed over the last 5 years or so, my acer is filliping awsome.

Theres alot of hype over alienware - i dont know nything about them though.

Argue is a good person to ask btw, try PM'ing him :D

#5 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Agreed - acers used to be pretty basic but have really developed over the last 5 years or so, my acer is filliping awsome.

Theres alot of hype over alienware - i dont know nything about them though.

Argue is a good person to ask btw, try PM'ing him :D

Alienware's overpriced. Didn't know Acer actually decided to step it up, that's cool.

#6 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

If you just intend to use it for school and the occasional non-hd video, check out netbooks. Dirt cheap and get the job done

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Alienware's overpriced. Didn't know Acer actually decided to step it up, that's cool.

Acer is the 2nd largest PC manufacturer in the world now so they must be doing something right. :p

#8 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Acer is the 2nd largest PC manufacturer in the world now so they must be doing something right. :p

And BP is the third largest energy company in the world :p. Big companies can be shitty

#9 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

Acer is the 2nd largest PC manufacturer in the world now so they must be doing something right.

Walmart is the biggest Retail Company, yet they're doing everything wrong.

But alright, I'll give you guys that. Still no Gateways and Compaqs imo.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

And BP is the third largest energy company in the world :p. Big companies can be shitty

Walmart is the biggest Retail Company, yet they're doing everything wrong.

Both true but entirely different markets. :p Personally I'd say PC manufacturers are more vulnerable to public opinion than companies like Walmart (who have a virtual monopoly) and BP (the world relies on oil so as long as they're pumping it out they're going to make profits). Whereas if a PC manufacturer gets a reputation for being unreliable then it's easy enough for consumers to go with one of their competitors.

#11 miih

miih
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

I think the laptop from sony very good Posted Image

#12 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

I use one from sony and it never give me any problems at all. Only problem that would probably arise is always make sure you keep the installation cd given or you're going to have a hell of a headache if you ever have to wipe clean your computer and restart again :/

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

I'm amazed that nobody questioned the wisdom of buying something you can't spell.

#14 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the comments :) Right now I'm thinking sony or toshiba, Sony is a bit expensive though.
I'll probably use it for playing games, using cheat programs, erm... and probably some school work

Also, is HP bad? I heard rumors saying don't buy HP computers... comment?

I'm amazed that nobody questioned the wisdom of buying something you can't spell.

Just found that out... :p Thanks for correcting meh lols

Edited by Code, 28 August 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#15 Unseen

Unseen
  • Cultist of the Unseeing Eye

• 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

HP in my opinion isn't bad for an average user but for someone that likes to tamper and be a customize freak don't do it. HP has a tendency for screwing around with you when it comes to being unique.

#16 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

Since you already seem to narrow it down to Sony and TOSHIBA, it just comes down to aesthetics. Consideer looking through an Asus if you're serious into the gaming thing, but again the prices aren't as friendly as a TOSHIBA.

HP has good service, but what the other guy said it's a bitch customizing stuff for HP.

Edited by Lallard, 28 August 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#17 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

oh.. lol o-o

I just came back from shopping around for laptops, they are either too ugly or too expensive. The one I wanted costs like 2k, yet I can't even remember the name of it or anything Dx

Only if my mom lets me shop online or something, but then there are many reasons why my family dislike that.

Thanks everyone to all of your opinions though!

#18 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Buy a visa giftcard with 1k on it and go to newegg and tigerdirect to look at lappies. Craigslist ain't bad either.

#19 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

I love my Sager

#20 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Buy a visa giftcard with 1k on it and go to newegg and tigerdirect to look at lappies. Craigslist ain't bad either.

Uh.. are they are store or something? I never heard of those..names Dx

#21 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Uh.. are they are store or something? I never heard of those..names Dx

Websites.

#22 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Websites.

I looked at tigerdirect, is awesome but my mom said no, she wants to see the actual item, also because we never heard/bought anything from there before so my mom doesn't trust that site neither.. Dx Well, we are probably not going to buy the laptop on sites so thats a no Dx

#23 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

Got a fry's electronics near you? They aren't always the best but they have some decent configs on occasion

#24 Jake2

Jake2
  • 1185 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

Instead of just being like "buy an acer maaaang" how about you guys post some specs / why you would pick this specific model. It's as if she stated she's buying a car and asked for suggestions and you all came in with "one with 4 wheels would be great".

#25 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Instead of just being like "buy an acer maaaang" how about you guys post some specs / why you would pick this specific model. It's as if she stated she's buying a car and asked for suggestions and you all came in with "one with 4 wheels would be great".

Or we can advice her in a direction of best choice and let said person pick what they want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users