Photo

Buying a new laptop!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Jake2

Jake2
  • 1185 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

Or we can advice her in a direction of best choice and let said person pick what they want.

I know nothing about computer, as in which are good, which are bad.. etc

Seems like a logical plan.

Posted Image

Buy this one. It's the bees-knees.

#27 Unseen

Unseen
  • Cultist of the Unseeing Eye

• 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Seems like a logical plan.

Posted Image

Buy this one. It's the bees-knees.

Your logic in picking the "BEST" one is flawed.

Edit: I can't spell

Edited by Unseen, 28 August 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#28 Jake2

Jake2
  • 1185 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Well it appears that no one really gives a shit anyway, so let us all just build up our post count.

+ I atleast included a picture for viewing purposes. I could've just put in 1 word such as "sony" or "msi" or something like that, but no, I went and invested some time.

Posted Image

#29 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

I disagree with avoiding Acer. I've had my Acer for over 4 years with almost no problems at all (only a single non-functioning key after 4 years)...

Except if anything breaks under warranty. You have to pay shipping. Thats shit bro.

Honestly though. You have to deem what your getting under your warranty.

Only get a brand that actually has support.

HP. Dell. Acer/Gateway (They are the same company). Sony. Toshiba.

If you get an HP. Sony. Or Toshiba computer. They send you a box and you dont pay shipping for warranty repairs.

Acer/Gateway. You pay shipping.

Dell sends a technician to your house.

Everyones support is in Indian.

The smartest thing that you could do is purchase a computer from Costco with their american express card. For just a 40 dollar membership (That you can refund whenever) you get a 3 year warranty, and free tech support in the US. That way you dont have to bother me when you screw everything up (Only Georgina is allowed to)..

#30 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Got a fry's electronics near you? They aren't always the best but they have some decent configs on occasion

Never heard of them, got any in Canada?

Instead of just being like "buy an acer maaaang" how about you guys post some specs / why you would pick this specific model. It's as if she stated she's buying a car and asked for suggestions and you all came in with "one with 4 wheels would be great".

LOL you made me laugh so hard xD

The smartest thing that you could do is purchase a computer from Costco with their american express card. For just a 40 dollar membership (That you can refund whenever) you get a 3 year warranty, and free tech support in the US. That way you dont have to bother me when you screw everything up (Only Georgina is allowed to)..

I did go to Costco to and look at their computers, but they are all hp and some acer, no sony or Toshiba :(

Edited by Code, 29 August 2010 - 07:11 AM.

#31 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Never heard of them, got any in Canada?

LOL you made me laugh so hard xD

I did go to Costco to and look at their computers, but they are all hp and some acer, no sony or Toshiba :(

For one. I know Costco does cary Sony and Toshiba. Check with the manger for when they get stock.

For two, whats wrong with Hp or acer?

#32 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

For one. I know Costco does cary Sony and Toshiba. Check with the manger for when they get stock.

For two, whats wrong with Hp or acer?

I don't know, I've heard hp isn't very good, and people discussed on acer a bit, I don't have to end up using a crap computer D:
Also, Is probably narrowed down to sony and Toshiba, since my dad had a Toshiba and it works pretty nicely, and I like sony overall anyways so xDD

#33 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:23 AM

So since your budget is 500-700 CAD, what are you looking for in a laptop? Enough to do basic things such as web browser, email, document processing? Long battery life?

The most important thing for a laptop is actually the warranty. Things can happen such as the battery dying on you. Those things usually only have a 3 year life anyway.

After looking at what's out in the market, they sacrificed speed for lower power consumption. You'd want a laptop with a good core frequency and decent amount of ram. Integrated graphics are fine as long as you're not heavy into gaming. I would go with a Turion II m640 or i5-450m as the processor but those are expensive cpus.

Edited by Faval, 08 September 2010 - 06:48 AM.

#34 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

Already bought a toshiba one, turned out was 750 bucks or something, thanks everyone for their opinions though!;)

#35 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

i was in the same situation with the same budget, with new years sales i ended up getting a $600 HP i5 460M laptop. So far i love it to death.

i would also avoid acer, vision brands

Edited by neobrah, 05 January 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#36 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

Razer Switchblade. http://www.techtree....114082-585.html
wait till it's made :3
thing looks so sweet

#37 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Razer Switchblade. http://www.techtree....114082-585.html
wait till it's made :3
thing looks so sweet

When I first saw the youtube video with the asian guy I thought this was some sort of joke the way he was talking about it.

But then they brought out more serious people and it looks unbelievable :o, I don't want to know how much one of these bad boys are going to cost through

#38 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

You should get any DELL inspiron best laptops :)
Posted Image

#39 netstat

netstat
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

I'm going to second the notion to avoid HP, Gateway, and Acer. I don't know if they have improved but under a year ago, upon researching the matter, I discovered that these two have the highest malfunctioning rates. I would recommend an ASUS however my mother has had her toshiba for a few years and has only given her trouble once. Check this out but take it with a grain of salt as it is from 2009 and technology advances very quickly. http://ahtim.com/whi...brand-the-best/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users