Quantcast

Photo

Abortion

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

Poll: Abortion (205 member(s) have cast votes)

Should abortion be permitted?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

but it still worth the trouble isn't it?

i bet there's no regret in it though sometimes they can make you damn pissed off.

Yeah ofcourse :) Its just the way it is. Some people do think its all sunshine though, and they get totally overwelmed by it :(
Anyway, were going off topic a bit :p!

#27 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

IMO it should be permitted (before it becomes a human like-baby).
However I think it's just correct in extreme situation like someone raped or that.

I think that if you did a mistake, you should take the consecuences of your action.
But in some cases it's very hard, so just let the pregnant woman take the desition.
After all, she is the one who's gonna have the baby.

#28 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

Earlier, I said I would elaborate, but I'm still feeling pretty lazy, so I'll let you guys read the little essay I wrote. Unfortunately, I don't remember where all of the statistics came from because we weren't required to submit a bibliography or include citations. They were taken from websites of varying standpoints, but I just want to use this to get my opinion on the matter across.

Spoiler

Edited by Trichomes, 16 March 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#29 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

It is not always a woman’s irresponsibility that leads to an unwanted pregnancy. Most women do not feel as if abortion is a form of contraception, and only 8% of women who have had an abortion were not using any form of birth control at the time of conception. In some cases, unwanted pregnancy is forced by rape or incest. In these cases, there may be psychological harm to the victim, and she may be too afraid to seek help. Since the morning-after pill is only effective when used within three days of intercourse, abortion may be the only option for women who are traumatized and in no emotional state to raise a child.

Alright, one thing that seems to be quite disturbing is the general statistic that about <10% of abortions are due to health risks to the pregnant woman AND rape-induced pregnancy. Aside from that we could say that a huge portion of it is merely due to the couple (or even in some cases the mother as the sole decider) deciding not to want to have a baby.

The only thing that bothers me regarding this abortion issue is the possible idea that health insurances may (someday) cover abortions. I mean, today we do have that if the cause of pregnancy is proven to be from the woman being raped or if it's going to be a health risk.

#30 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

Well, that's why I tried not to make any overstatements. When it comes down to it, I still think it should be a woman's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion, and most of the time, there are other options. Because there are those exceptions, though, even if it's less than 10% of all cases, I think abortion needs to remain an option. We can't just allow certain women to have abortions for certain reasons, because it can be difficult to prove whether or not someone is telling the truth. Rape kits are only reliable about 72 hours after the assault occurs. However, as far as health insurance goes...if my birth control isn't covered, abortion certainly shouldn't be covered either, unless the pregnancy is the result of rape, or the woman's health is at risk.

Edited by Trichomes, 04 September 2010 - 09:56 AM.

#31 Guest_kigger_*

Guest_kigger_*

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

What makes me really angry is people who just get abortions because they are to lazy or to damned stupid to use protection. I knew a girl who got like 2 or 3 abortions cause she wouldn't keep her legs closed or use the proper protection. How is that justifiable? It isn't. It's ridiculous. As I stated before in cases of rape then there should be the option for them or if the woman has serious health concerns, in any other case there shouldn't even be an option.

#32 Lineage

Lineage
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

I think abortion is perfectly fine.. Saying that some dumbass who can't keep her legs shut isn't abusing the system and just keeps continually having abortions instead of say, using some form of birth control anyway.

Having a kid is going to affect you the rest of your life, whether you want it to or not. I plan on going places with my life and with working full-time, going to school full-time, and owning two dogs and two cats, my life would go to shambles if a baby got thrown into the loop. Can't afford it, don't have the time to care for it nor could I really make the time to care for it because I'm working the absolute minimum I can already in order to keep on top of college and being able to pay our mortgage.

I would much rather see someone have their baby aborted than drop out of highschool/college and essentially end up not going anywhere with their life.

#33 fr333k

fr333k
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'm tossing up against whether I'm for, or against abortion. It gives women rights, which I'm against; but I'm all for killing innocent babies

:D

#34 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

In terms of consciousness and suffering, there is no practical difference between using a condom, or having an early-term abortion.

In fact, the only person it's worse for, is the mother.

#35 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

I think abortion is perfectly fine.. Saying that some dumbass who can't keep her legs shut isn't abusing the system and just keeps continually having abortions instead of say, using some form of birth control anyway.

Having a kid is going to affect you the rest of your life, whether you want it to or not. I plan on going places with my life and with working full-time, going to school full-time, and owning two dogs and two cats, my life would go to shambles if a baby got thrown into the loop. Can't afford it, don't have the time to care for it nor could I really make the time to care for it because I'm working the absolute minimum I can already in order to keep on top of college and being able to pay our mortgage.

I would much rather see someone have their baby aborted than drop out of highschool/college and essentially end up not going anywhere with their life.

Yeah, It should be theyr decition.
Lets just hope they do not to abuse and use that right correctly all the time.

#36 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

I would much rather people use a cheap and effective form of contraception and not have this problem. ;) I mean... are we really so lazy of humans now that we can't forgo a little increased stimulation to save the emotional, monetary, and moral consequences that come from abortion? I just don't understand how in the past when we were nomadic that we had no problem maintaining population size... and the only birth control then was abstinence/coitus interupptus... I guess when your community is so small that you are held to your actions more closely. It just makes me truly saddened for humanity when we can't throw out a little more pleasure to effectively eliminate risks of pregnancy. It's just beyond me.

But what if your contraceptives fail? Even if you are using a condom AND your partner is on birth control, and maybe even a third method is used, there is a very small chance that she could still get that pregnant. In that case, are you willing to bring an unwanted child into the world? Even if you chose adoption, she would still have to go through the discomfort and pain of pregnancy and labor. I mean, even if you were obviously doing everything possible to prevent pregnancy from occurring, and I would consider that pretty responsible, it could still happen. Some people just aren't ready to handle that huge responsibility.

I also think population control in the past had a lot to do with the much higher infant mortality rate.

#37 Guest_kigger_*

Guest_kigger_*

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

But what if your contraceptives fail? Even if you are using a condom AND your partner is on birth control, and maybe even a third method is used, there is a very small chance that she could still get that pregnant. In that case, are you willing to bring an unwanted child into the world? Even if you chose adoption, she would still have to go through the discomfort and pain of pregnancy and labor. I mean, even if you were obviously doing everything possible to prevent pregnancy from occurring, and I would consider that pretty responsible, it could still happen. Some people just aren't ready to handle that huge responsibility.

I also think population control in the past had a lot to do with the much higher infant mortality rate.

Ok so if your on birth control and your using condoms then the likely hood of it happening is not very high. Although if it does happen then it's meant to happen. ALSO, if you don't want children messing up your life then you shouldn't be having sex and risking having a child when your in high school or college.

I'm paying off my student loan currently and if for some reason i got pregnant now I wouldn't abort them to get by. You make it work. It's called working. Parental benefits, child allowance.

#38 Guest_kigger_*

Guest_kigger_*

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Ok so if your on birth control and your using condoms then the likely hood of it happening is not very high. Although if it does happen then it's meant to happen. ALSO, if you don't want children messing up your life then you shouldn't be having sex and risking having a child when your in high school or college.

I'm paying off my student loan currently and if for some reason i got pregnant now I wouldn't abort them to get by. You make it work. It's called working. Parental benefits, child allowance.

#39 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I never said anything about high school or college. A person of any age could find themselves in this situation, and it doesn't necessarily have to be about financial difficulty either.

I don't believe things are "meant to happen," so I'm not sure I'd be so quick to dismiss abortion as a possibility if I was doing everything I possibly could not to get pregnant. You can't just expect people not to have sex, responsibly, if they don't want to be parents. That's just unfair.

#40 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

A person of any age could find themselves in this situation, and it doesn't necessarily have to be about financial difficulty either.

This. I'm 21, in a far more financially stable situation than anyone else of my age that I know, more than capable of supporting a child but it just wouldn't be an option for me. Mine and my husband's careers just won't allow us to raise a child while we both work and I'd rather have an abortion than raise a miserable child whose parents don't have enough time for it.

And I certainly don't believe any child is fated to be if it gets past multiple methods of birth control. Things with only tiny chances of occurring, happen. That's why they're not impossible.

#41 Guest_kigger_*

Guest_kigger_*

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

I never said anything about high school or college. A person of any age could find themselves in this situation, and it doesn't necessarily have to be about financial difficulty either.

I don't believe things are "meant to happen," so I'm not sure I'd be so quick to dismiss abortion as a possibility if I was doing everything I possibly could not to get pregnant. You can't just expect people not to have sex, responsibly, if they don't want to be parents. That's just unfair.

Unfair? I don't mean to be cliche but life is unfair! Ultimately if you do not want to have children and are scared that you will have children despite taking precautions, than don't have sex. That's not unfair, it's logical.

#42 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Unfair? I don't mean to be cliche but life is unfair! Ultimately if you do not want to have children and are scared that you will have children despite taking precautions, than don't have sex. That's not unfair, it's logical.

Ultimately, if you don't want to get hit by a car, don't walk outside.

Kindly take your reductio ad absurdum and shove them in the orifice of your choice.

#43 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

I don't think that's reductio ad absurdum... It's like if you don't wanna get hit my a car... look both ways when you cross the street, wear a helmet if you're on a bike, be aware of your surroundings, drive defensively. Abortion in your simile would be walk willy nilly wherever you want and if you do get hit by a car, just have the car demolished and go to the hospital.

There shouldn't be a need to go to the hospital because you shouldn't have been playing in the street without protection anyways.

No, that's not what I am saying, nor what he is saying.
He said "Ultimately, if you don't want a child, don't have sex".

He is the one that is ignoring safety precautions, and the like, not me.

#44 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

I don't think that's reductio ad absurdum... It's like if you don't wanna get hit my a car... look both ways when you cross the street, wear a helmet if you're on a bike, be aware of your surroundings, drive defensively. Abortion in your simile would be walk willy nilly wherever you want and if you do get hit by a car, just have the car demolished and go to the hospital.

There shouldn't be a need to go to the hospital because you shouldn't have been playing in the street without protection anyways.

Condoms are what...98% effective when used perfectly in clinical trials? The statistics for typical use are far far lower but even at best that's still a 2% failure rate. Hormonal contraception is generally far more successful but still, not perfect and there are a large number of women for whom it just isn't suitable.

Ultimately, wearing a helmet greatly reduces your chance of smashing your skull, it won't guarantee it though. Things that have a ridiculously small chance of happening, happen. Odds are that eventually they have to. :p

#45 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

oh of course! But if you couple condoms with birth control you are really, really reducing the risks. :D

Still going to get someone...And what about all the people who don't have birth control as an option?

I wish doctors were more willing to consider sterilisation at a younger age. :(

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

As I stated before in cases of rape then there should be the option for them or if the woman has serious health concerns, in any other case there shouldn't even be an option.

Sorry, Cody, but that's not what he/she/it said.

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

that was her agreeing that abortion should exist under x context. The other circumstances in which it shouldn't be permitted would fall into that moral variability range. :p

Fine.

But I don't think that "No, you must carry this baby for nine months whether you want it or not" comes under the heading of "moral" in any way.

#48 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

LOL. perhaps not... but the argument is that "You must not kill others, even if they haven't been born yet"... and not killing people would fall under morality. :p

Other what?
Other non-sentient bundles of cells?

Makes the fight against cancer a little redundant...

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

LOL! you're hilarious. It really all just varies dependent upon when the fetus becomes "alive." By my definition, everything is alive... except maybe dark matter... but that's another story entirely. So for my abortion level when does life start, I guess I think that once there is a beating heart, it constitutes as alive to me.

That doesn't make sense.
You can't live without killing -something-, and if everything is just as "alive" as everything else, then you may as well be allowed to kill anything.

#50 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Personally im completely against abortion, but at the same time, there are obviously situations where people dont have much of a choice.
And anyway, if it was made illegal, as if there would be those dodgy side street clinics that do it anyway? :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users