Quantcast

Photo

Abortion

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

Poll: Abortion (205 member(s) have cast votes)

Should abortion be permitted?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

Not even close.

LOL

#77 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

In my opinoin, abortion should be legal. It can ruin kids lives that are too young to be able to take care of a child, this can also greatly affect the childs life. If the young parents cant afford good nutrition for the baby, it can permanently effect the child. abortion should be legal.

#78 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

It's simply a thing of perspective. I take precautions because I don't plan on creating another person at this time, but I'm not going to stop something that's happened. After seeing my brother with his son, I don't think I could justify an abortion, even if the child is just a bunch of cells with no consciousness at the time.

She signed up when she saw the abortion topic and wasn't really interested in discussing it beyond what she had. Kigger's my girlfriend by the way. :p

We're not discussing whether you think abortion is right or wrong. We're discussing whether abortion should be illegal in cases where rape or health issues do not apply.
I think you're right that each individual case is a matter of perspective, and as such parents must have the choice.

And... unlucky =/

#79 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:20 AM

Well I'm against abortion. BUT in cases with someone being raped then there should be an exception.

This is a great idea. Abortion only for the raped.

When I get pregnant who wants to be my supposed rapist? On the up side, you get free living quarters AND meals in prison.

#80 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

We're not discussing whether you think abortion is right or wrong. We're discussing whether abortion should be illegal in cases where rape or health issues do not apply.
I think you're right that each individual case is a matter of perspective, and as such parents must have the choice.

And... unlucky =/

You're such an ass :p

It's almost definitely not my place to say this is a man, but I think if someone's pregnant, they should see it through and put the child up for adoption if they are absolutely unable to raise them.

#81 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:31 AM

You're such an ass :p

It's almost definitely not my place to say this is a man, but I think if someone's pregnant, they should see it through and put the child up for adoption if they are absolutely unable to raise them.

I know.

Why, though? There's no reason to believe that a child put up for adoption will end up with a legitimate home, as opposed to a dismal life in the foster system.
Not to mention all the socioeconomic problems that can arise from being forced to carry a child to term.
And then, on top of that, you have to consider the psychological stress to the mother, if you don't class that under "medical reasons".

#82 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

If they're unable to raise them, what makes you think they have the money to pay for the hospital bills, prenatal vitamins, breast pads, elastic banded pants, etc etc?
Could you imagine going to work for months being all pregnant, and having your co-workers and loyal customers see you? Then after you have the baby and send it's on it's way, you have to deal with all these people in you life asking you, "How's the baby?". And when you tell them you put it up for adoption they will forever judge you as a terrible individual. On the other side of the fence, my closest female friend had an abortion when she was 16. She has one daughter now, but she confessed to me she will always wonder what could have become of the child she wasn't ready for.

Both are hard decisions for women who don't want to be mothers. It's not like every woman who has an abortion is like, "La de dee. Life's great! Now I can go out and fuck some more!" But at least there's one less child suffering in this world.

#83 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

If they're unable to raise them, what makes you think they have the money to pay for the hospital bills, prenatal vitamins, breast pads, elastic banded pants, etc etc?
Could you imagine going to work for months being all pregnant, and having your co-workers and loyal customers see you? Then after you have the baby and send it's on it's way, you have to deal with all these people in you life asking you, "How's the baby?". And when you tell them you put it up for adoption they will forever judge you as a terrible individual. On the other side of the fence, my closest female friend had an abortion when she was 16. She has one daughter now, but she confessed to me she will always wonder what could have become of the child she wasn't ready for.

Both are hard decisions for women who don't want to be mothers. It's not like every woman who has an abortion is like, "La de dee. Life's great! Now I can go out and fuck some more!" But at least there's one less child suffering in this world.

Easy if you go to the United States. The fail healthcare system answers all the medical bills for mexican families that just jump out of the border to spew in babies for free.

I like the idea of putting in some regulations in terms of abortions for reasons that the mother just doesn't want to have a baby. Making it "illegal" is a little too much I should say however.

#84 miih

miih
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

Abortion Should Be Permitted?

depends on the occasion

why?

if a child has been sexually abused, then she should do an abortion

#85 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

Easy if you go to the United States. The fail healthcare system answers all the medical bills for mexican families that just jump out of the border to spew in babies for free.

White trailer trash lazy asses and ghetto negros with no jobs - both spewing babies - also abuse the fail healtcare system. Just to be fair.

#86 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

Abortion Should Be Permitted?

depends on the occasion

why?

if a child has been sexually abused, then she should do an abortion

I feel so much better for hearing your well reasoned explanation of the complex moral and ethical issues concerning abortion.

#87 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

I like the idea of putting in some regulations in terms of abortions for reasons that the mother just doesn't want to have a baby. Making it "illegal" is a little too much I should say however.

Mm, regulations are pretty easily sidestepped though.
In the UK, abortion is only legal up to 24 weeks if two doctors agree that:
- having a baby would upset the mother's mental or physical health more than having an abortion.
- having the baby would harm the mental or physical health of any children you already have.

Or it's legal at any time in the pregnancy if two doctors agree that:
- an abortion is life saving
- an abortion would prevent serious permanent harm to your mental or physical health.
- there is a high risk that the baby would be seriously handicapped.

It's fairly rare that someone is told they can't have an abortion though even with that legislation in place because it's easily argued that the psychological stress of carrying an unwanted child to term are greater than an abortion.

#88 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

This is a great idea. Abortion only for the raped.

When I get pregnant who wants to be my supposed rapist? On the up side, you get free living quarters AND meals in prison.

^That

I guess Abortion is better than some people leaving their unwanted child on the street when nobody is noticing, in the winter.

Is true, people have done it. In Canada they are protected, but tons of cases similar to that happens in China.In China, they are not so lucky..

Edited by Code, 06 September 2010 - 11:56 AM.

#89 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

Mm, regulations are pretty easily sidestepped though.
In the UK, abortion is only legal up to 24 weeks if two doctors agree that:
- having a baby would upset the mother's mental or physical health more than having an abortion.
- having the baby would harm the mental or physical health of any children you already have.

Or it's legal at any time in the pregnancy if two doctors agree that:
- an abortion is life saving
- an abortion would prevent serious permanent harm to your mental or physical health.
- there is a high risk that the baby would be seriously handicapped.

It's fairly rare that someone is told they can't have an abortion though even with that legislation in place because it's easily argued that the psychological stress of carrying an unwanted child to term are greater than an abortion.

Can you or anyone else make reference to the Irish women coming over here to have abortions? I would...but I can't really be bothered with this americanisied non-topic.

#90 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

I know.

Why, though? There's no reason to believe that a child put up for adoption will end up with a legitimate home, as opposed to a dismal life in the foster system.
Not to mention all the socioeconomic problems that can arise from being forced to carry a child to term.
And then, on top of that, you have to consider the psychological stress to the mother, if you don't class that under "medical reasons".

There's no reason to believe that they couldn't be adopted, or that a child raised in a foster system can't grow up to be a well adjusted, productive member of society.

In Canada at least, there are systems in place to help expecting mothers as well as free health care.

If you can prove that aborting a child would be less psychologically damaging than carrying to term and raising/putting up for adoption, I will give you 100% credit on that point.

There is definitely a lot of legitimate reasons to support abortion, but I'd rather it be a process for people who have dire need of it, than to make it a form of birth control.

I think putting a child up for adoption would be considered less scandalous by a lot of people. :p

#91 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

There's no reason to believe that they couldn't be adopted, or that a child raised in a foster system can't grow up to be a well adjusted, productive member of society.

Apart from precedent?

In Canada at least, there are systems in place to help expecting mothers as well as free health care.

Lucky canada.

If you can prove that aborting a child would be less psychologically damaging than carrying to term and raising/putting up for adoption, I will give you 100% credit on that point.

I'm not sure how you can argue that carrying a foetus that you don't want for nine months is less damaging that getting rid of it...
Both situations are difficult, but ultimately, it should be the parents' choice.

There is definitely a lot of legitimate reasons to support abortion, but I'd rather it be a process for people who have dire need of it, than to make it a form of birth control.

No one is arguing that... O_o

I think putting a child up for adoption would be considered less scandalous by a lot of people. :p

Then you're an idiot. It's a lot easier to have a secret abortion than a secret GIANT STOMACH.

#92 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Apart from precedent?

So no one has EVER risen beyond the circumstances they were raised in? Part of why Clinton was a great president was because he understood the needs of people, having grown up in a relatively poor household.

Lucky canada.

It's a pretty good country, that's for sure!

I'm not sure how you can argue that carrying a foetus that you don't want for nine months is less damaging that getting rid of it...
Both situations are difficult, but ultimately, it should be the parents' choice.

There can always be the question of what if? And the what if in this case is potentially a healthy human that could have lived a rich, full life. A girl I know wanted to get an abortion and walked out of the clinic last minute, unable to go through with it. I think getting rid of the child for her would have been more damaging than having a child she had serious misgivings about.

Out of curiosity, how would you feel about the mother wanting to get an abortion, if the father wanted to keep the child?

No one is arguing that... O_o

So do you agree there should be some limitation or control on abortions?

Then you're an idiot. It's a lot easier to have a secret abortion than a secret GIANT STOMACH.

If the girl immediately decides to get an abortion, having told absolutely no one, she'd be ok. Things do have a way of spreading around though.

#93 Invincible

Invincible
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm not pro-choice, I'm pro-abortion. Abortions for all!

#94 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

No I am against it. I will always be.

#95 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

No I am against it. I will always be.

Good for you.

Traditionally, though, in a debate, it's required to show the reasoning behind your stance.

(Obviously, I understand your hesitance, since I'll inevitably rip it to shreds, but still...)

#96 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yeah but my point were already stated by other people. No point in repeating whats been said right? <BR>And random i know but you are one of my favorites here.

Edited by brennon, 11 September 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#97 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Yeah but my point were already stated by other people. No point in repeating whats been said right? <BR>And random i know but you are one of my favorites here.

How boring.

#98 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yes, because keeping the baby sometimes do more good than harm i.e. poor economical status (makes the situation worse), low educational background (resulting in delinquent child) etc.

But then again, abortion weakens your body, and there might be a chance that one might not be able to conceive anymore (even if they really want to have a baby in the future).

#99 netstat

netstat
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yes, because keeping the baby sometimes do more good than harm i.e. poor economical status (makes the situation worse), low educational background (resulting in delinquent child) etc.

But then again, abortion weakens your body, and there might be a chance that one might not be able to conceive anymore (even if they really want to have a baby in the future).

Abortions that are done before 7-8 weeks of preganancy can be done using the RU pill. These generally have no complications and shouldn't effect the ability to conceive in the future. Abortion is wonderful and makes our society a better place

#100 imasramma

imasramma
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

well in my opinion abortion should be illegal because they are human beings and deserve a chance at life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users