Photo

Quran Burning

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

So there's this "church" in Florida called the Dove World Outreach Center, and its senior pastor (Terry Jones) wants to burn Qurans on the anniversary of the September 11th world trade center attacks. So this pastor has been under a lot of pressure from the international community. And the idiot holding this event probably bought into what the media is saying about the Mosque to be built near Ground Zero and started acting ignorant. So if this stunt were to go through how do you think the world is going to react? (please nothing like "badly" or other stupid answers).

http://www.providing...rous-stunt.html

If someone has already posted a thread about this i apologize and you can delete this thread.

Now go forth and discuss :)

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

It's just a book...it's not like he went out and burned Muhammad.

#3 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

I'm speaking out of my beliefs but the true message of any divine creator should be in your heart and unextinguishable by anyone.

#4 Unseen

Unseen
  • Cultist of the Unseeing Eye

• 571 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

Freedom of speech, all the Muslims can equally have a Bible burning experience and everyone has a right too.

#5 bobsauce

bobsauce
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

If I was a braver man I would head down to fl and burn one single bible in front of that group just to prove I wouldn't make it out alive :p<br><br>p.s 'Dove World Outreach Center' reaching out to 70% of the world-fuck the rest of them, they read a different book.<br>

Edited by bobsauce, 08 September 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#6 Crayon

Crayon
  • 913 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Another 9/11 will occur.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

I object to book burning on principle, but hey, there's a hell of a lot of korans out there. It's not like the knowledge is going to be lost.

That said, I think it's a disgusting way to make a point, and the point they're trying to make is yet worse.

#8 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

If I was a braver man I would head down to fl and burn one single bible in front of that group just to prove I wouldn't make it out alive :p<br><br>p.s 'Dove World Outreach Center' reaching out to 70% of the world-fuck the rest of them, they read a different book.<br>

Because two wrongs always make a right.

#9 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

I object to book burning on principle, but hey, there's a hell of a lot of korans out there. It's not like the knowledge is going to be lost.

That said, I think it's a disgusting way to make a point, and the point they're trying to make is yet worse.

If they would just accept each other the world would be a better place T_T

#10 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

Also, I think it's incredibly moronic of them, as they are only spreading the hate that killed their (and my) countrymen in the first place.

Edited by MsRose, 08 September 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#11 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

It's going to anger some people and that's their intent. But people shouldn't be angered let them do whatever it shouldn't emotionally affect any one but them. Hopefully it won't become like that prophet cartoon, people got real upset there too when they shouldn't have.

#12 bobsauce

bobsauce
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

Because two wrongs always make a right.

The point was more that they would be horribly upset thus being hypocrites. I wouldn't burn any books period. Fahrenheit 451 made its point well.<br><br><br>The cartoon of Muhammad made an epic point when the same newspaper published a cartoon of the Holocaust.&nbsp; The lawsuit for the Muhammad cartoon was deemed freedom of speech while the other they were fined for.&nbsp; The paper later released that they pulled the second stunt to prove that Israel always wins.<br><br>p.s I completely agree your free to burn what you'd like.&nbsp; I just somehow think the people holding the rally would hold a double standard if you burned a bible in front of them.<br>

Edited by bobsauce, 08 September 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#13 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

I see it as freedom of speech. People are allowed to burn the American flag whenever they please because it's considered "speech."

In this case, burning of the Quran is another form of speech. If Muslims went out and burned the Bible (which they probably do) I say have at it. People have been fighting one another because of religion for so fucking long that this shouldn't really matter to anyone anymore.

#14 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

The point was more that they would be horribly upset thus being hypocrites. I wouldn't burn any books period. Fahrenheit 451 made its point well.<br><br><br>The cartoon of Muhammad made an epic point when the same newspaper published a cartoon of the Holocaust.&nbsp; The lawsuit for the Muhammad cartoon was deemed freedom of speech while the other they were fined for.&nbsp; The paper later released that they pulled the second stunt to prove that Israel always wins.<br><br>p.s I completely agree your free to burn what you'd like.&nbsp; I just somehow think the people holding the rally would hold a double standard if you burned a bible in front of them.<br>

Oh wow i never knew that. Well that's the world for you.

#15 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

so yeah apparently if this burning goes through, its probably american soldiers in the middle east that are gonna pay the price

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

I see it as freedom of speech. People are allowed to burn the American flag whenever they please because it's considered "speech."

In this case, burning of the Quran is another form of speech. If Muslims went out and burned the Bible (which they probably do) I say have at it. People have been fighting one another because of religion for so fucking long that this shouldn't really matter to anyone anymore.

The Bible is Holy for Muslims. I'm sure there are Muslims who do, but they do it out of ignorance of the true teachings of their religion, just like this pastor.

#17 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

The paradox is that you as well would be hypocrites.
Mimicking another to show their own faults only makes you equal to their faults.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

The paradox is that you as well would be hypocrites.
Mimicking another to show their own faults only makes you equal to their faults.

Only if you don't measure action by intention. Which would be foolish.

The Bible is Holy for Muslims. I'm sure there are Muslims who do, but they do it out of ignorance of the true teachings of their religion, just like this pastor.

Only the Old Testament, not the new, though... right?

#19 bobsauce

bobsauce
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

<br>Only the Old Testament, not the new, though... right?<br>

<br><br>According the the Muslims I know Jesus is a great Profit which implies to me that they would see some merit in the new testament, but I don't know much about their beliefs in Jesus or what they base them on.<br><br>My friend that speaks to me about the Muslim religion often put it as, "A Muslim that doesn't believe in Jesus is a Muslim that knows nothing about their own religion."<br>

Edited by bobsauce, 08 September 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#20 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Only if you don't measure action by intention. Which would be foolish.

Isn't the intention the same?
They burn a book to protest a small percentage of extremist whom worship the teachings of that book.
The difference lies in the extremists actions. One takes lives while another burns a book.

In my opinion, repetitive hate can only breed more hate.

#21 bobsauce

bobsauce
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

To put all jesting aside you are correct. If they really cared to make a difference they could have done any number of constructive things. While they have the right to do whatever they please I don't see a burning accomplishing anything other than saying rawr we're mad and we want attention.

#22 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Isn't the intention the same?
They burn a book to protest a small percentage of extremist whom worship the teachings of that book.
The difference lies in the extremists actions. One takes lives while another burns a book.

In my opinion, repetitive hate can only breed more hate.

HATE HATING TO HATE HATING MORE! YESSSS

#23 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I'm sure a Twilight book burning will bring us all together on this issue.

#24 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

I'm sure a Twilight book burning will bring us all together on this issue.

Yeah but Twilight is fictional(LAWL) and about Soulless creatures. Who wouldn't want to watch it burn.

#25 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

http://www.reddit.co...f_the_bible_to/
i love this site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users