• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

So I'm thinking of bringing back the codies. This will have to be signed off by the other guys I sent them an email Im pretty sure they'll approve.

Anyways this topic is to discuss what categories we should vote in. I dont like the past favorite boy vs favorite girl. Lets try to keep the sexism to a low. Unless you really want it?

Rules:
1. Nominate one person per category
2. cant nominate admins (dro, sl, noit, pyke)
3. can nominate multiple ppl in one category seperate with commas. but you are spreading 1 point over those members

So new categories:
Anyone remember hte old ones?

Golden Spoon - reason? you think they should have got an award but didnt?

New ones that I really will likely add:
cdxItemDB: Most Unbuyables Priced - this goes to the user who did the most in the last month
cdxItemDB: Most Unpriced Items Priced - lots of items have not been priced and are sitting in the db at 0 np. if you price that you get a point
Most Helpful @ Lenny Conundrum - self explan

Anyways what you do is. Post like this. Please follow it strictly as I will have a program count up the users, I wont do it by hand.

Golden Spoon - Cody
Favorite Blah - Laser Wave, iargue (<<<<< because you are giving one point per person this gives .5 pts to laser and .5 to argue)
Most Helpful @ Lenny Conundrum - Lallard
and so on

For the cdxItemDB no need for you to nominate someone that will be automatically tallied and awarded.

What do you guys think? Share ideas on categories and share the old ones if you remember them.

#2 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Most Helpful(on the boards)
Funniest/Stupidest Member or thread of the year.
Least Liked NC Member( I think we all know who this is)

Lol there are tons you can do.

#3 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

No.

Why must we have drama here? I like boards to be without drama.

In my humble opinion, very very few people deserve rewards besides the staff. They do nothing to help :|

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

No.

In my humble opinion, very very few people deserve rewards besides the staff. They do nothing to help :|

We need people to price the unbuyables in the DB, and I think this might be a good thing to use to get it done. But for Stupidest/Funniest member and stuff, I know what you mean. I don't like drama either, and prefer to reward quantifyable results. :p

#5 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

Yea, that is understandable. It is probably best then to do what Noit had stated. Maybe add a category as AB'er of the month or anything related to the programs.

#6 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Ehhhhh yeah I have to agree that this might cause a little bit of drama... Instead you should melt down the trophies and sell them to a pawn shop. With the money you just got you can have a staff party with cheap strippers and even cheaper hookers.

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

It never created drama but created unfairness. As the staff always got all the awards. Now its a rule you cant nominate staff. Im thinking of removing programmers too as they will get all the awards. These awards are meant were originally created for the members to get each other motivated. Its really fun. We never had drama issues.

#8 Tsunade

Tsunade
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

I vote Iargue for everything

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

It never created drama but created unfairness. As the staff always got all the awards. Now its a rule you cant nominate staff. Im thinking of removing programmers too as they will get all the awards. These awards are meant were originally created for the members to get each other motivated. Its really fun. We never had drama issues.

Programmers are staff silly person. I've been told 10000x that I cant be mean because I am staff. :|

I vote Iargue for everything

Awh <3

We need people to price the unbuyables in the DB, and I think this might be a good thing to use to get it done. But for Stupidest/Funniest member and stuff, I know what you mean. I don't like drama either, and prefer to reward quantifyable results. :p

I'm all for giving a shiny badge to people who get off their lazy ass, and price things.

I could certainly price stuff, but then no one would get any programs at all.

#10 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

This reminds me of The Dundies from The Office.
I personally, love this idea and hope people are mature enough to handle a few jokes. (if joke 'awards' are given)

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

This reminds me of The Dundies from The Office.
I personally, love this idea and hope people are mature enough to handle a few jokes. (if joke 'awards' are given)

Anything from The Office. No.

#12 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

Anything from The Office. No.

Just because you can't appreciate the humor...sheesh.

#13 Philj16

Philj16
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

Whats this topic about :p im confused O_o

#14 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

We never had drama issues.

Oh we diiiiiid! Every other month there'd be some dispute about them.

We've attempted them on so many different occasions now. It's a popularity contest, it's the same results every month, it's dull. They're really not that good, I don't see the appeal of rehashing them over and over.

#15 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Actually, this sounds like an amazing idea.
Some of the people on this board really do deserve recognition above what they do get right now.

I have a little different sort of idea.
Maybe we can hold this vote thing for every 2 or 3 months, and only have it in terms of one category.
Then people from neocodex can all chip in for some sort of like "prize pool". It probably won't be much, but I would like to thank some people for their services.
Or, maybe even - the winner can choose what item they want (within a certain prize range), and we can all buy it for them - like a nice little thank you.

We can all send items/neopoints to Noit who can buy the item for the winner.

#16 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

Programmers are staff silly person. I've been told 10000x that I cant be mean because I am staff. :|

I'm all for giving a shiny badge to people who get off their lazy ass, and price things.

I could certainly price stuff, but then no one would get any programs at all.

Oh you're right :p
Ok full progers cant be voted for but jr progers can?

Oh we diiiiiid! Every other month there'd be some dispute about them.

We've attempted them on so many different occasions now. It's a popularity contest, it's the same results every month, it's dull. They're really not that good, I don't see the appeal of rehashing them over and over.

Oh I didn't know. I wasn't so involved with the codies. The reason we want this is mainly to get people to do stuff around the site (ie:price the unpriced items that are ub).
So any ideas on how to make it work this time? The main people can't be voted for ie: admins and full progers. Maybe ill make this fully automated and make it so if you nominated someone last month in any category you can't nominate them this month?

Actually, this sounds like an amazing idea.
Some of the people on this board really do deserve recognition above what they do get right now.

I have a little different sort of idea.
Maybe we can hold this vote thing for every 2 or 3 months, and only have it in terms of one category.
Then people from neocodex can all chip in for some sort of like "prize pool". It probably won't be much, but I would like to thank some people for their services.
Or, maybe even - the winner can choose what item they want (within a certain prize range), and we can all buy it for them - like a nice little thank you.

We can all send items/neopoints to Noit who can buy the item for the winner.

Oh turtle the reward is just a plaque every month. :p
After the contest team we learned that transferring np like that is real dangerous. Every other month sounds good to me. We just want to be getting people to price the db and do chores around the site.

#17 Blazin

Blazin
  • 2201 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

Unfortunately the Codies operated on two stipulations: several venues of contribution (graphics team, contest team, ezine, private, etc), and an active community--neither of which exists anymore.

Either way, I nominate Xenocyde for everything!

#18 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Blazin!! Eee! *hugs* I miss you. Be here more.

#19 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

Damn, if you started a pricing team 2 weeks ago - I would've joined.

haha, I'm going to cancel Neopets Premium.
Talk about useless, stupid SWW is always tired. He needs to take some 5 hour energy pill or something.

Plus, I think you might want to rewrite the code or whatever it is that adjusts the price on the database.

I don't know anything about coding but I would suggest taking a weighted average of the newer prices as well as discounting some of the ends (so you don't take into account idiots who price a rare item worth 20k at 99k and screwing up prices or sellers who sell 99k items for 50k to get a good cheap sell off - maybe do it by a percent and take into account variance/standard deviation?)

I don't know if it's even doable - just throwing ideas out there.

#20 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Plus, I think you might want to rewrite the code or whatever it is that adjusts the price on the database.

I don't know anything about coding but I would suggest taking a weighted average of the newer prices as well as discounting some of the ends (so you don't take into account idiots who price a rare item worth 20k at 99k and screwing up prices or sellers who sell 99k items for 50k to get a good cheap sell off - maybe do it by a percent and take into account variance/standard deviation?)

I don't know if it's even doable - just throwing ideas out there.

We already do that. :p

#21 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

No.

+1 exact sentiments.

#22 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

We already do that. :p

Hmm, how exactly do you want your item database to be like?
Do you want the lowest price as the db price, the average of the first few?

I can try to help for the next two days, (as long as I have SWW) then after that - I don't think I would enjoy refreshing a bajillion times to get some prices :p

haha, i feel so selfish - you guys bust ass to create programs and I don't even wanna help maintain it without the help of the SWW :(

#23 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Eh, I nominate Georgie and PRBM for everything.

More specifically: Most helpful: Georgie
Best gifs: PRBM
Most awesome sarcstic comments: Scot
Most awesome references: PRBM and Twink.

Edited by Boggart, 23 September 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hmm, how exactly do you want your item database to be like?
Do you want the lowest price as the db price, the average of the first few?

I can try to help for the next two days, (as long as I have SWW) then after that - I don't think I would enjoy refreshing a bajillion times to get some prices :p

haha, i feel so selfish - you guys bust ass to create programs and I don't even wanna help maintain it without the help of the SWW :(

Our item database is how we want it to be right now, with the exception of UB.

We basically take the last four prices that come in, and ignore outliers. So if the last three prices were 22k, 21k, 22k, and 25k, and then we get one for 99k, we drop that one entirely. I think right now if the price is higher then, or lower then the current price by 40%, we drop it. (We can always get more prices!). Now. After all of that work it done, we simply average the last four prices and record the price. Even if we drop a shop owner though, we add it to the list of shop owners. Who knows when someone needs that.

We are not looking for people to price things with the shop wizard. Only our programs can do that, that way we know the data is solid (Its alllllssso really boring, and my programs haven't complained about being bored.... yet). Our real problem is this.

Total priced items: 27,472 (77.56%)

Now. We have an average of 90 users pricing throughout the day. If we havent gotten that last 13 percent, its because they are UNbuyables. So we will never see them in the shopwizard. What we need, are users to load up the trusty trading block, and price that shit out. To do this, simply go to here

http://www.neocodex.us/forum/itemdb/

Make sure Order By Price is Ascending, and then click submit. You will see things that say, "Unpriced". So, take that item, go to neopets, hunt down its price, and then come back.

When you click on the item that said unpriced, you will see this line

Estimated Price: Unpriced NP (Last Priced: Never by Nobody)

Click on Unpriced (It will be blue, like a link) and a sexy little box made by noit will show up. Type in the price, without commas, and press enter. BAM, now it says your price, priced by you (Rewards for your efforts). And, now our number of priced items will go up!

Thats what we need help with.

Eh, I nominate Georgie and PRBM for everything.

More specifically: Most helpful: Georgie
Best gifs: PRBM
Most awesome sarcstic comments: Scot
Most awesome references: PRBM and Twink.

I was not aware that Scot and Twink were Georgie and PRBM.

#25 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

Well for unbuyables, I can just list whatevers on TB but usually they end up not selling ever. :/

Edit:
I'm not familiar with Neopet economy, so how would we account for inflation, overpricing, etc?

Edited by Turtleboy, 24 September 2010 - 02:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users