• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Agreed with Sweeney.....for once?

Slut/Manwhore. Same thing.

to be honest, I've never called another guy a slut or a manwhore.. is it just me or it's not commonly used?

#202 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

to be honest, I've never called another guy a slut or a manwhore.. is it just me or it's not commonly used?

I'm not exactly surprised that it's uncommon in your circle of friends.

#203 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Manwhore isn't nearly as demeaning as slut is to women, though. We should call them something that sounds more disgusting... and puss filled. Like... "Hey Joseph, stop being such an infected genital pube"

... I'm not good with insults. >_>

#204 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Manwhore isn't nearly as demeaning as slut is to women, though. We should call them something that sounds more disgusting... and puss filled. Like... "Hey Joseph, stop being such an infected genital pube"

... I'm not good with insults. >_>

They could have slag. I've not heard that used for a while and it does have a gross sound. But I suspect that regardless of what's said, the female equivalent will always be more insulting until society stops believing that girls who choose to sleep around are inferior to guys who choose to do the same thing.

#205 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

I will present an analogy that will bring a newfound light upon your eyes.

Women are like locks as men are like keys. When a key can open many locks, it is deemed to be a master key. If a lock gets opened by many keys...well it's a sh*tty lock.

/thread

#206 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

I will present an analogy that will bring a newfound light upon your eyes.

Women are like locks as men are like keys. When a key can open many locks, it is deemed to be a master key. If a lock gets opened by many keys...well it's a sh*tty lock.

/thread

Oh, wow. Congrats on repeating a shitty analogy. I really don't get why guys want to make girls feel bad for having casual sex. Seems pretty counter-productive and incredibly stupid.

Oh wait.

#207 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Oh, wow. Congrats on repeating a shitty analogy. I really don't get why guys want to make girls feel bad for having casual sex. Seems pretty counter-productive and incredibly stupid.

Oh wait.

to be honest its just an analogy and i myself don't see girls in a different way if they want casual sex. it is societies that moulded each individual to have gender roles and expectations of women and men.

nature vs nuture has been a biological theory that paved the way to many sociological thinking of gender roles.

research have proven it used to be men as hunters + gatherers, women as nuturing individuals. Men who bring home the meal and money at the end of the day. as modern life moves on, it moves away from this conventional idea as women are becoming more independent and more men are staying at home and raising children.

man's natural instinct is to find a woman they can reproduce with and if the woman seems like they don't sleep around then its a higher chance of them reproducing. sex is fun, healthy, and part of life and women should be viewed as indifferent than men.

#208 leurz

leurz
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

research have proven it used to be men as hunters + gatherers, women as nuturing individuals. Men who bring home the meal and money at the end of the day. as modern life moves on, it moves away from this conventional idea as women are becoming more independent and more men are staying at home and raising children.

Hunter gatherers? Research? If you're talking about paleolithic humans there is very little evidence about gender division of roles. Even what there is doesn't apply to other groups in other places. Also, there are various cultures in various time frames in which women had/have more dominant roles in society.

If you're talking about the fifties, then yes.... yes I agree.

#209 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hunter gatherers? Research? If you're talking about paleolithic humans there is very little evidence about gender division of roles. Even what there is doesn't apply to other groups in other places. Also, there are various cultures in various time frames in which women had/have more dominant roles in society.

If you're talking about the fifties, then yes.... yes I agree.

according to the 3 anthopology classes and sociology class i took, it claims otherwise lol. although you do have a point. there certainly isn't much evidence in the paleolithic or stone age or even the iron age. the reason for this is lack of recording materials. you're also right in the fact that hunter gathers generally have an egalitarian economic and political system. but it is proven that men did the hunting and the women did gathering (as well as arts and crafts). also, as hunter gathers turned towards horticulture roles were defined because women did not have as much physical strength as men so jobs were assigned. if you want more evidence, i will literally find the pages in my textbook and cite it...i guess.

addressing yoru other point. i cannot agree more. culture is diverse everywhere. in some cultures as such as the trobriand islanders their ethical views and practices differ than those from the USA or Canada. Family values, religious practices will differ everywhere in the world. in fact, some cultures woman have dominance over man.

however if this debate is relating to canada or usa, gender roles have definately been defined as stated earlier.

another interesting question i will bring up is. why do girls have "slut defense, or a b*tch shield" i was at a party on new years and the moment one of my friends exclaimed that a particular girl kissed him, she got full pissed and raged.

#210 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

according to the 3 anthopology classes and sociology class i took, it claims otherwise lol. although you do have a point. there certainly isn't much evidence in the paleolithic or stone age or even the iron age. the reason for this is lack of recording materials. you're also right in the fact that hunter gathers generally have an egalitarian economic and political system. but it is proven that men did the hunting and the women did gathering (as well as arts and crafts). also, as hunter gathers turned towards horticulture roles were defined because women did not have as much physical strength as men so jobs were assigned. if you want more evidence, i will literally find the pages in my textbook and cite it...i guess.

addressing yoru other point. i cannot agree more. culture is diverse everywhere. in some cultures as such as the trobriand islanders their ethical views and practices differ than those from the USA or Canada. Family values, religious practices will differ everywhere in the world. in fact, some cultures woman have dominance over man.

however if this debate is relating to canada or usa, gender roles have definately been defined as stated earlier.

another interesting question i will bring up is. why do girls have "slut defense, or a b*tch shield" i was at a party on new years and the moment one of my friends exclaimed that a particular girl kissed him, she got full pissed and raged.

I'm not sure what you mean by slut defense and bitch shield. Is this a power we can turn on or off? Did I not get my free sample from Avon?

#211 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by slut defense and bitch shield. Is this a power we can turn on or off? Did I not get my free sample from Avon?

its a slang term given....its not really as bad as it sounds..but i'll explain it to you

A BS (bitch shield) is essentially a social shield that women take on metaphorically when attempting to fend of would-be suitors.
More indepth thoguhts: In my opinion i think a shield is generally what causes men to feel that a woman seems unapproachable
. I get this, my friends get this, all guys get this. The girl may be giving an approahc invitation or anti approach invitation and be moving away in proximity. These shields can also occur during a conversation, when the girl tries to blow men out and acts generally rude, interrupting him or asking him to leave.I guess the concept of the shield is that most women are not normally mean or bitchy, but due to extreme circumstances, such as being in a high traffic night club and being hit on many times, women begin to adopt this persona over time. I figured that extremely attractive women (and some of those who are not) often pretend to be a ‘bitch’, to prevent an endless stream guys who they aren't interested in from hitting on them.

#212 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

its a slang term given....its not really as bad as it sounds..but i'll explain it to you

A BS (bitch shield) is essentially a social shield that women take on metaphorically when attempting to fend of would-be suitors.
More indepth thoguhts: In my opinion i think a shield is generally what causes men to feel that a woman seems unapproachable
. I get this, my friends get this, all guys get this. The girl may be giving an approahc invitation or anti approach invitation and be moving away in proximity. These shields can also occur during a conversation, when the girl tries to blow men out and acts generally rude, interrupting him or asking him to leave.I guess the concept of the shield is that most women are not normally mean or bitchy, but due to extreme circumstances, such as being in a high traffic night club and being hit on many times, women begin to adopt this persona over time. I figured that extremely attractive women (and some of those who are not) often pretend to be a ‘bitch’, to prevent an endless stream guys who they aren't interested in from hitting on them.

Oh that! Well. If you were constantly hit on by sweaty 30-year-old men, you'd have one too.

They could have slag. I've not heard that used for a while and it does have a gross sound. But I suspect that regardless of what's said, the female equivalent will always be more insulting until society stops believing that girls who choose to sleep around are inferior to guys who choose to do the same thing.

I think slag still applies to girls though. Oh British slang, so similar yet so different.

#213 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

It's more of a "oh god I can smell you from six feet away/you're three times my age/why the hell do you want my address/please stop following me around I don't want to be raped" shield in my experience. Not to say that some girls don't act overly bitchy in a club (I tend not to approach random girls), but if a girl is repeatedly asking you to leave, you could be being creepy. Or I could be overly sensitive on the issue at the moment after another creep on the train last night.

I think slag still applies to girls though. Oh British slang, so similar yet so different.

Yes, but no one uses it (at least, not around here!) any more. It's time to bring a new meaning in the word!

#214 leurz

leurz
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

but it is proven that men did the hunting and the women did gathering (as well as arts and crafts).

Yeah, this is the part i'm having issues with. How can this even be proven?

if you want more evidence, i will literally find the pages in my textbook and cite it...i guess.

Also, I feel like i'm cheating on the textbook-digging, because I JUST had to read this:
"We do not know how labor was divided among the members of these Paleolithic bands. Although scholars once assumed that men did the hunting and women the gathering, such gendered presumptions do not reflect the complex realties of modern hunter-gatherer societies and they are probably not applicable to the Paleolithic Period either. It is more likely that all members of a Paleolithic band (except for the very young and very old) engaged to some extent in all the basic activities of the group" (pg 10, Western Civilizations, by Coffin & Stacey, published 2008 by Norton) Sorry not MLA -too lazy-

Why this is bugging me is that if we say: in the vast majority of cultures throughout all time and history, women were never hunters,
then that implies that passivity is natural in women.
On the other hand, the roles of women could rely on the current culture.

In that case, are women who are sexually promiscuous going against nature, and thus deserving of the "slut" title..
or are they just acting in terms of the current environment?

Not trying to derail your question, just couldn't let this one go :)

#215 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, this is the part i'm having issues with. How can this even be proven?

Time travel of course. We just have to wait for a man to invent it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users