Photo

WE GON' GET SUEDDDD!11!11

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

Had a good laugh at this topic in the BDC: Why doesn' Viacom sue websites that make cheat programs?

"Anyone have the full list of staff members? IM GOING TO SEND THEM ALL A EMAIL ABOUT THIS!"

#2 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Screen shots? :D

I has no log in

#3 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

They used to :( Well never sued but threatened. I think.
I think its nice of them to let up.

#4 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

lol bless the nubs. butt hurt at missing re stockss.

Join us or miss out i say!

#5 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Its because regardless of the ToS they can't sue. The programs are not breaking any laws. They are simply automating a system. They aren't hacking the system to create something that isnt already there.

Websites don't have the Authority to make laws, and when they do, it will be a sad day.

How are Blizzard allowed to sue hack creators for SC2?

#6 xavarn

xavarn
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Because blizzard can do as it pleases.

#7 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

Screen shots? :D

I has no log in

Too lazy to screencap and edit shit, so here's some key quotes:

OP: Im just ranting here but as of lately it has gotten nearly impossible to get a MP in magic when i would get atleast 1 a day when i would restock. What makes me wonder there are programs still in the shops is the fact that people on different restock and chat boards rarely post they got the item. So yeah TNT why not get rid of the websites producing these programs?

One reply: because suing takes money, whereas making RSing fair doesnt earn them any money

Another reply: Because, at the end of the day, THEY DONT CARE....
As long as they get page hits, they are happy.

OP: Well them not taking care of the abing makes legit restockers like myself want to quit this silly game! Not that im important or anything!! BUT ITS THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER!

Another reply: Wouldn't it be funny if TNT actually owned all the cheat sites, and just made extra money from that?

Omg lol..

Another reply: Cheat RSing actually earns them a lot of money

OP's last post in the thread: Anyone have the full list of staff members? IM GOING TO SEND THEM ALL A EMAIL ABOUT THIS!

#8 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

Because those hacks alter the game files in an unsupported way.

*Edit - Just googled the Blizzard vs Hack Programmers

We dont do any of that. Our programs just mimic exactly what a browser sends/receives... Are they going to sue you for using their website in your browser?

Ah, thank you for that little tidbit of information. I never really understood what let one company sue and another, not.

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

Anyone can sue anyone for any reason. Doesnt mean you will win.

Because those hacks alter the game files in an unsupported way.

*Edit - Just googled the Blizzard vs Hack Programmers

We dont do any of that. Our programs just mimic exactly what a browser sends/receives... Are they going to sue you for using their website in your browser?

No. Blizzard cant legally sue hack creators for any reason at all. What they do is they take advantage that all judges know nothing about how hacks work to fill them with bullshit. Take your example.

" they copy StarCraft II copyrighted content into their computer's RAM". All programs are put into the computers ram. Its not a "copy" its the program itself stored on temporary memory so it runs smoother. Thats all there is to it. What they are doing, is trying to convince the judge that your illegally copying their program, and thus in violation of the copy right law. Which is complete pullshit. If that was true, your in violation of copyright in -every- program that you run.

This is why I cry every time a 9000 year old is on the supreme court. Because whenever a case like this goes to them. They dont know how the computer works, so they will believe the lies, and rule in favour of this retarded.

Creating a hack is no illegal. So what Blizzard does, is try to copyright card. While Hackers dont violate copyrights. Infact, if anything, it should be protected under the "Free usage" clause. Since it modifies a program to make your experience better.

#10 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

@JCR thank you good sir

@debating dudes, yes websites can't make laws but I wouldn't be surprised if they could soon. Look at ACTA

#11 sLAUGHTER

sLAUGHTER
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 490 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

They MAY one day sue some site, but the programs will always be updated by willing programmers. I am one of them.

#12 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

They MAY one day sue some site, but the programs will always be updated by willing programmers. I am one of them.

Ya, the cheaters will always be one step ahead of those trying to catch 'em. Just like in sports.

#13 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

Still an exploit of the game.

#14 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Ya, the cheaters will always be one step ahead of those trying to catch 'em. Just like in sports.

They cannot get rid of cheating, its like if someone wants to get rid of corruption on politics, or trying to stop crimes.
However they must make a try, if they dont their site (or in sports, their events) would be acomplete fail as only some would like to participate on them.
Like the eternal persecution police - thieves.

#15 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Dare somebody to bump that board

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:46 AM

Last time I checked they also removed the oft-ridiculed statement in their ToS about suing program makers $50,000 (or whatever it was) so it seems like they're getting a bit less stupid as time goes on. :p

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

Still an exploit of the game.

Which isnt against the law... In any country I know of...

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

whoa, is this 2005?

#19 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

Well even if they did sue...not like they'll get any money even if they win. In fact it's probably more of a net loss since the lawyer fees will be higher than what they can get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users