Quantcast

Year Two: Mental Break Down Time

Posted by KaibaSama, 26 October 2016 · 1783 views

fuck calc mental break down too many kylo gif

Our professors can set up "beacon alerts" for us to tell us we're failing a class or close to failing. I just got one from my shitting calc professor, saying that I had a D-. I calculated my grade just last night, out of 400 points we've had so far (55/100, 53/100, 95/100, and 88/100. Explain to me how that adds up to a D-). , and got a 72%. I was confused, until I remembered that his crazy grading scale sets a 72% at a D- instead of a C- like it normally is. He told me to come to his office hours. Well, I would, but if he can't explain things in class, he won't be able to explain them one on one. His teaching style isn't going to magically change between in class and one on one. When he was teaching limits, he explained using cake for two hours. Apparently, if you have enough cakes, no one gets any cake. I'm not kidding, that's exactly what he explained limits as for 2 whole hours. I'm waiting for him to explain something else using cupcakes. I've been looking for a tutor, but the downside of a small branch campus is that there aren't any. I kept getting emails saying the learning center found one, but then nothing after. Turns out, all the calc tutors were quitting. Now I've got one that hasn't quit officially yet, but he hasn't' sent in his application that's needed to start the training for him to tutor me. I've been looking for a tutor for this awful class since the 2nd to last week of September! It's been a month now with nothing! So I decided to transfer to our main campus next year, but if I fail my classes, it's not going to look good for the transfer, and I could be stuck here for another 2 years! I even cheated on my first exam and got a 53%! Usually cheating helps raise your grade, because you have all your notes and everything to help. When even cheating doesn't help the grade, there's something wrong with the Professor, not the student!

I even got an 88/100 on the last homework when I used online derivative calculator to do it that had all the work and the correct answers! It's not a problem with me, it's a problem with him, his grading and his horrid teaching style.

And on top of that, my calc class is full of Freshman who think they're just oh so great for getting into calc 1 instead of Algebra like Freshman usually do. I had one girl who didn't get anything like me, then suddenly she gets it and starts acting high and mighty. "If i give you the answer to the worksheet, how will you learn?". Like she wasn't having just as many issues as me a week ago! It's like she's never heard of working backwards! You get the answer, then work backwards to understand the work needed to get there!

Stupid freshman. I thought there were two limits at the start of the learning about limits and a minute later I hear two of them go:
"Can you believe she thought there were two? How'd she even get in this class? Maybe she's disabled? (as in mentally). Maybe she slept with someone? (I'm a virgin)." And then they go on to comment about my shorts. Which ride a bit high when I sit down (kind of into my crotch a bit). Why are they looking down there anyway?

If I still had my sword that I bought at our renaissance faire, my calc professor wouldn't have a head anymore.

I want to go to medical school, but I'll never get in if it shows that I failed a class as a sophomore. As a freshman it's more accepted because you're just adjusting to college life and such.

On a second note, I also had a "beacon alert" for Organic Chemistry One. I failed our first test, but got a C on the first quiz. We have another quiz in a week and a half and I'm going to study my ass off. Plus, I now have my molecular modeling kit, which will help. (We can use them on our tests).

I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I usually exercise by running a mile and maybe some core work from 2-3 in between two of my classes, but all I want now is to hide under my bed eating a giant chocolate bar. And I'm also debating skipping calc tomorrow but he gives points for attendance. Yes, he takes attendance in college.

On a happier note: This puts me in the right mindset to finally continue that story I was writing on the plane back from my grandma's birthday.

Me in calc: Posted ImagePosted Image

How I feel today: Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

As you can tell I'm pissed and depressed.

Hey, I totally feel your frustration right now. When I was in undergrad, I used patrickJMT's Youtube videos for Calculus to help understand the mess. He has an entire section dedicated to limits. Here's the link: https://www.youtube....user/patrickJMT

I never used Khan Academy, so I can't speak for that at all, but Patrick is awesome. I hope it's useful for you!

Thanks so much for the link. I haven't understood anything in this class, so any outside help is wonderful! 

Wow your classmates sound like real assholes.

That said - is there anyone in the math department you can discuss this with (the professor, inability to get a tutor, etc)? I can't imagine you're the only student with issues. Some professors just suck so much dick with communicating. It sounds like he sucks at it and his grading doesn't make much sense to me either.

Also, I had to withdraw from my math in my freshman year because I was barely skating by with a passing grade - the professor spoke English but it was broken English and he would teach so fast. I could not keep up with it and I was ill, so it was just too much, so I withdrew and later took an online version of the course and made an A. Is withdrawing a legitimate option for you? I don't know if you have aid or not and I know that can mess with that.

I used Khan Academy for all my math troubles. He has some pretty great videos on calculus, iirc.

There's nothing to be done about the tutor, all I can do is wait. There's one other professor who might be able to help, but I have no idea what her schedule is, and mine is quite busy. I can't withdraw because our add/drop period is over, and I'd get a W on my transcript and would just have to take calc 1 again next semester, which I'd rather not do.
Hey. Sorry to butt in if that's what I'm doing but it seems like you are really struggling and I wanted to say. It shows you are working hard and thinking well, it will be ok and you will figure out exactly what you need to do to make it through. I hope I'm not out of place but here is a hug, because sometimes everyone needs a hug. Oh and don't let the little beeotches in your class get under your skin because more often then not those types end up nowhere good because they are cruddy people.

Hey. Sorry to butt in if that's what I'm doing but it seems like you are really struggling and I wanted to say. It shows you are working hard and thinking well, it will be ok and you will figure out exactly what you need to do to make it through. I hope I'm not out of place but here is a hug, because sometimes everyone needs a hug. Oh and don't let the little beeotches in your class get under your skin because more often then not those types end up nowhere good because they are cruddy people.

You're not butting in, don't worry. I'm not one for hugs often, but I'll take this one. 

I've had only one teacher that could teach Calculus and seem like he knew what he was talking about. Plus, his grading standard was less about getting answers and more about doing the work. He'd award your points off every right method to getting the answer.

From there, I think good advanced math teachers are rare or elsewhere. People capable of teaching math are in a much higher paying job than a professor or teacher.

March 2024

S M T W T F S
24252627 28 2930

Latest Visitors

Categories