Photo

Music

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Why do you think I like those stupid bitches? I can't stand company manufactured baby pop and that's pretty applicable to the both of them. Country my ass. You want country you go to Johnny Cash. Or Patsy Cline. Or Loretta Lynn.

#27 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

Drake, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Eminem - Forever = very good song

You are incorrect. Nothing with Lil Wayne can be 'good', 'very good', 'average' or otherwise. =/ Lil Wayne (among others) is what's wrong with Hip-hop. However, my good sir, this is a debate for another day.

EDIT: Inver, I like all those genres you listed and more! So like, ya, it's hard to just pin-point that certain something to recommend. That's why I made this thread in the first place! ^_^ Just go nuts!

Edited by Connery, 01 February 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#28 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

You are incorrect. Nothing with Lil Wayne can be 'good', 'very good', 'average' or otherwise. =/ Lil Wayne (among others) is what's wrong with Hip-hop. However, my good sir, this is a debate for another day.

EDIT: Inver, I like all those genres you listed and more! So like, ya, it's hard to just pin-point that certain something to recommend. That's why I made this thread in the first place! ^_^ Just go nuts!

*ponder ponder* I'll just post a few in each category of some unknown and some very well known bands, just to not overwhelm you and to give you some sort of reference point.

Rock (From Gothy - Glammy - Punky): Porcupine Tree, Tool, APC, SoTD, David Bowie, Bad Religion, The Clash, GWAR.

Funk (Kind of Girly Lounge Funk I'm really into at the moment): Bitter:Sweet, Portishead, Garbage, Ladytron, Beck, Depeche Mode.

Punk (With some psycho-billy thrown in? I'm not sure how to classify Gorgol or the Elvises): The Start, Devil Doll, Gorgol Bordello, Red Elvises.

Goth (Every goth's basic ration kit): VNV Nation, KMFDM, Mastodon, Rammstein, Android Lust, Apoptygma Beserk, The Knife, Front 242, Collide.

Techno: Infected Mushrooms, Lords of Acid, Severed Heads, Tiesto, Daft Punk (although, they've kind of sold out... :/)

Industrial: Das Ich, Genitorturers, Combichrist, Velvet Acid Christ.

Weird, Miscellaneous: Mindless Self Indulgence, Eurythmics, Gorillaz, Royksopp.

Wow. That took awhile. Just for you hun, just for you. Again, that's only the tip of the iceberg. If anything up there strikes your fancy I can probably elaborate on other bands you might enjoy. But then... There's always Pandora as well. :D

#29 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Haha, I love Gorgol Bordello. =D Goth is a bit hit-and-miss with me; I've got some Mastodon and Rammstein songs (don't think I know the rest of the bands as I haven't really explored the genre too much), but I can only take so much. ;p Rammstein can get really heavy. Got tons of Tiesto and Daft Punk. Regardless of whether they sold out (I'm assuming you're referring to the whole TRON soundtrack thing), they are one of the best Electronic bands of all-time. The rest I'm looking forward to checking out as for the most part, I haven't heard of any of 'em. Thank youuuu. :3 <3

EDIT: I've only heard one Porcupine song ('Time Flies') so far and I pretty much love them! ;p Plus the video is amazing. @_@ British Rock cannot be beat.

Edited by Connery, 01 February 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#30 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

Haha, I love Gorgol Bordello. =D Goth is a bit hit-and-miss with me; I've got some Mastodon and Rammstein songs (don't think I know the rest of the bands as I haven't really explored the genre too much), but I can only take so much. ;p Rammstein can get really heavy. Got tons of Tiesto and Daft Punk. Regardless of whether they sold out (I'm assuming you're referring to the whole TRON soundtrack thing), they are one of the best Electronic bands of all-time. The rest I'm looking forward to checking out as for the most part, I haven't heard of any of 'em. Thank youuuu. :3 <3

Of course, darling. I'm glad you already have something of a foundation (but I knew I wasn't working with a blank slate)... With Daft it's mostly the Kanye feature they did. TRON was also a bit repetitive, I felt like they didn't live up to their full potential.

Oh, one more under techno: Aphex Twin.

I love them. I can't believe I forgot to put them up there.

#31 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

Of course, darling. I'm glad you already have something of a foundation (but I knew I wasn't working with a blank slate)... With Daft it's mostly the Kanye feature they did. TRON was also a bit repetitive, I felt like they didn't live up to their full potential.

Oh, one more under techno: Aphex Twin.

I love them. I can't believe I forgot to put them up there.

Meh, I'm a big [pre-/post- '808s & Heartbreak'] Kanye fan, so that wasn't a problem for me. ;p

#32 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

Meh, I'm a big [pre-/post- '808s & Heartbreak'] Kanye fan, so that wasn't a problem for me. ;p

*shrug* I'm not a fan. And it's seriously diminished Daft Punk's image, there are people out there who think Kanye's version was the original. It's retarded.

#33 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

*shrug* I'm not a fan. And it's seriously diminished Daft Punk's image, there are people out there who think Kanye's version was the original. It's retarded.

Well, ya... You mix anything with mainstream rap and all the ignorant, white, suburban teenage males are gonna ruin it. =/

Although, before Kanye went all "QQ QQ QQ MAI MOMMY DIED CUZ OF PLASTIC SURGEREE AUTOTUNE AUTOTUNE QQ" he was mainstream, but he also appealed to the core hip-hop audience as well -- he does have talent. As long as he keeps his ego (ie. songs where he tries to fucking sing... -_-) and autotuning in check, his songs have good flow. I dunno, I've always found that there's something about his style that's is refreshing in the mainstream. The Chicago Hip-hop scene is the saving grace for the mainstream.

Anywho, this is gonna take me all night -- haha. Just going through the discographies of the rock artists you've suggested is giving me fits. @_@

EDIT: What does SoTD stand for, by the way? And GWAR?

Edited by Connery, 01 February 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#34 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

Well, ya... You mix anything with mainstream rap and all the ignorant, white, suburban teenage males are gonna ruin it. =/

Although, before Kanye went all "QQ QQ QQ MAI MOMMY DIED CUZ OF PLASTIC SURGEREE AUTOTUNE AUTOTUNE QQ" he was mainstream, but he also appealed to the core hip-hop audience as well -- he does have talent. As long as he keeps his ego (ie. songs where he tries to fucking sing... -_-) and autotuning in check, his songs have good flow. I dunno, I've always found that there's something about his style that's is refreshing in the mainstream. The Chicago Hip-hop scene is the saving grace for the mainstream.

Anywho, this is gonna take me all night -- haha. Just going through the discographies of the rock artists you've suggested is giving me fits. @_@

Haha. Baby steps! My music knowledge comes from lots of relationships and lots of years. I truly hope you enjoy at least some of the suggested artists!

And speaking of Auto Tune, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Psfn6iOfS8&feature=relmfu

#35 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

Haha. Baby steps! My music knowledge comes from lots of relationships and lots of years. I truly hope you enjoy at least some of the suggested artists!

And speaking of Auto Tune, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Psfn6iOfS8&feature=relmfu

Ugh... Curse T-Pain and his creation of this awful fucking fad in the first place. D: So infuriating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users