Quantcast

Photo

Spirits Recommendations

booze alcohol spirits drinking! liquor cognac whisky whiskey sex! general awesomeness

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hello all,

So I wouldn't say that I've taken up drinking again... but I do treat myself to a drink once or twice a month now. (Only one!!) In line with my routine of finding something new, obsessing over education, and compulsion to stockpile, I have now set sights on building my own home bar! I currently have about 13 bottles of liquor and have sort of been just collecting them over the past month or two. (Because I only have one drink a week or two the bottles just keep growing!) I have long had a passion for whiskey and am now learning and appreciating whisky. I have also rediscovered my passion for cognac and would like to begin collecting and tasting cognacs. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread so you can tell me about your must-try spirits so that I can add them to my collection and my soon to be personal bar!

I was originally going to create a rule that you can only list spirits that taste good enough to drink without any mixers or water. (This is how I enjoy my spirits...) However, I decided that it might severely limit participation in this thread. With consideration to the fact that the point of having an in home bar is to really be able to entertain, you may also discuss must have spirits that you may prefer with mixers or water. Please ensure that you label your recommendations as either neat, mixed, or either. I also think it would be beneficial, if possible, to list the average price that the spirit might cost at your local liquor store. (Obviously pricing will vary greatly depending on location, but some sort of baseline of what to expect might be nice...)

To start off the list with a spirit that I believe everyone should try....

1) Remy Martin XO Excellence (NEAT) -- This cognac is widely available at nearly any liquor store and so it will not take you a great deal to track it down. A 750ml bottle in my location costs roughly $140 but is well worth it! This cognac has an amazing aroma, a thick body, and a full taste that I am really enjoying right now. Posted Image

I hope this gets us started! I will add more to my list later, but I am really looking forward to all of your recommendations! (Feel free to list expensive spirits that you have enjoyed, but if the price is about ~250-300 USD/750ml bottle, I very probably will never pick it up.

]

#2 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Best spirit ever:
Spoiler

This one's called Leyenda del Milagro, I think
Best tequila I ever had, honestly..
Posted Image
It would cost me about 60$-80$ I think..

#3 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Personally I really enjoy drinking Captain Morgan Private Stock. It is a very rich, very smooth Spiced Rum.

Posted Image

I never use chasers with any of my alcohol, even very harsh whiskeys and scotches. If you haven't tried it before I definitely recommend picking up a bottle to try it out, usually runs 26.25~28.95 USD a fifth.

It comes with a cork which I feel adds a nice, classy charm to the drink.

#4 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

LMFAO @ Jesus.

I quite like Disaronno
Posted Image
I love using it in baking or having a single glass on the rocks once in a while. It must be very affordable, because I've bought it, though I have no idea how much. Like $30. Hey. What can I say. I'm cheap and easy.
Oh, and it comes in those tiny single serve bottles too, so you can just pick up one of those.

My sister has been drinking Soju, a Korean vodka. Which is also super cheap. Here's a sexy pic for you.
Posted Image

Yes, I have no class. Possibly I don't have any taste either, but hey, at least I didn't say Pabst Blue Ribbon.

#5 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey, what is wrong with PBR!

Evan Williams Single Barrel. Goes for about $25 a bottle, best value of all the single barrel bourbons.

Well, I drink it straight.

#6 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Actually I already have a bottle of Disaronno amaretto and Johnnie Walker Blue Label (along with black and gold as well!) (So good taste to the both of ya!)

I will keep an eye out for that tequila, Maloo. I've never seen it before but I also rarely drink tequila.

Thanks coltom. I have long past been a bourbon drinker and will check out the evan williams single barrel at such a great price.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

#7 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

My spirit of choice is Wild Turkey, which I'm sure you've had a billion times. :cool:

#8 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

Any Pappy van Winkle.

#9 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

Any Pappy van Winkle.

That's a fine choice, sir! (That was actually scheduled to be my next recommendation!)

So where are all the other spirit consumers here?

#10 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Here's a given to try...

Posted Image

#11 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Here's a given to try...

Posted Image

When I was young(er) and dumb(er) I used to drink Jack Daniels Old No. 7 by the litre. I have since lost my taste for JD even in mixed drinks. I have yet to try the Gentleman's Jack, though... I'll give it a shot next time I'm at a bar...

#12 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

When I was young(er) and dumb(er) I used to drink Jack Daniels Old No. 7 by the litre. I have since lost my taste for JD even in mixed drinks. I have yet to try the Gentleman's Jack, though... I'll give it a shot next time I'm at a bar...

Really, IMO, totally different from No 7 :)

#13 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

I've been meaning to try Żubrówka which is a Polish Buffalo Grass Vodka for a while now

Spoiler

It's $25 dollars for a 750 mL bottle which is quite reasonable.. err reasonable to people living in Ontario, compared to the United States we pay quite a lot more.

I think the way most people drink this is with Apple Juice, which is kind of weird for a Vodka but apparently it tastes like Apple Pie this way

#14 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

I've been really into honey bourbons/whiskeys this summer.

Spoiler

Those are the two that I have tried. They are perfect for sipping in a rocks glass with some ice on the porch in the evening. All of the pictures I found of them were in shooters (except for the above, obviously), but this isn't really a shooter for me. I preferred the Jack over the Wild Turkey.

#15 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

I just got into JD Honey. It's really good.

#16 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Ron Zacapa 23 year is quite nice if you're a fan of rums. I personally can't drink it neat, but a splash of water makes it a lot easier to pick out the tasting notes.

80 a bottle here in Vancouver, so I would imagine it's quite a bit less expensive in the US.

#17 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

So I just got back form the liquor store (spent wayyy too much!) Picked up a bottle of Gentleman's Jack per Random's suggestion. (I tried to get the JD Honey also but they didn't have any...)

I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon (sort of per Coltom's recommendation...), A bottle of Courvoisier XO (for my own tasting pleasures), and a bottle of something that I thought i would recommend to the thread next....

Don Julio Anejo Tequila. Posted Image Neat. (USD $60/750ml) I don't normally drink Tequila... I have had several (mostly) unpleasant experiences with the sauce and never seem to care for the taste. I then tried Don Julio and felt differently about it altogether. I later found on that the main reason I prefer this (other than its great taste) is that most of the cheaper tequilas I've had were sauza and not 100% Agave. Anyways, enough rambling from me. If you see this hideous bottle/plain brown box on the shelf and you are in the mood for tequila, give it a try!

As for me? I now have more liquor bottles than I do storage spaces so I might have to slow down on my purchasing... However, please keep up the recommendations!

#18 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Ron Zacapa 23 year is quite nice if you're a fan of rums. I personally can't drink it neat, but a splash of water makes it a lot easier to pick out the tasting notes.

80 a bottle here in Vancouver, so I would imagine it's quite a bit less expensive in the US.

I've had this recommendation made to me several times now and it will definitely be the next bottle that I pick up!

I just bought a bottle of Remy Martin Extra from a collector at below what was the retail price when it was on the shelves. (Retailed for $600+ depending on location) I'm not going to just drink this one casually though. I'm not that wealthy! Special occasions only!

I'm likely going to start collecting liqueurs now as well to fully build my home bar. That's really the only item that I'm missing other than gins... Anyone have any gin recommendations? From my online reading, I'll probably grab a bottle of Tanqueray, Beef Eaters, and Plymouth.... Anyone have any advice on gins? Any additional spirits that you really really love and think I should try?

P.s. I found a site that sells that Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project but unfortunately, I can't buy booze online in Texas.... Stupid government laws! I'm stuck going liquor store to liquor store to try to find what I'm looking for... Anyone know of any parcel forwarding services that are top notch?

#19 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

what real men drink
Posted Image

Edited by kami12, 19 August 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#20 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

My mate had a bottle of that from Thailand. It had a scorpion in it's mouth as well. Tasted like shit apparently.

#21 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Added a few bottles to my collection today... Some are new for me and I have yet to try them, others are just maintenance/updates to my home bar.

Tanqueray No. 10 (Gin)
Cointreau (Triple Sec)
Chambord (Raspberry Liqueur)
Pyrat XO (Rum)
Flor De Cana 18 Year Reserve (Rum)
Makers Mark 46 (Wheated Bourbon)

I'm really running out of room here!

#22 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I haven't seen Grandma called yet. Get a bottle of Grand Marnier. Congac and orange. Delicious.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: booze, alcohol, spirits, drinking!, liquor, cognac, whisky, whiskey, sex!, general awesomeness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users