21 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi guys! 

So there have been some complaints lately about the environment of the forum. Some of you have indicated you have seen things that were said and not dealt with. Others have expressed that they have seen things that made them uncomfortable. Unfortunately, staff may sometimes miss certain things that were said -  either because we were busy when it was said or we just accidentally read over it all together. 

If you see something on the forum that staff has not dealt with already and it is breaking the Neocodex Rules, please report it. 

Reporting on a user's profile:

Spoiler

Reporting a post:

Spoiler

There is also a report button in PMs in the same area. 

If a user has said something specific in a post, it is easiest to report the post so we can see exactly what was said and determine a punishment. We don't want any of you to feel uncomfortable posting so if you are having an issue with another user, please report it to staff - especially if you are being harassed or they are attacking you personally. 

Don't be shy! If you see something that is breaking the rules report it! 

Also, please remember to be respectful of other users around the forum. Harassment, personal attacks, name calling, etc. will not be tolerated.

- The Neocodex Staff.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

It's nice to have a guide for this now. Is the report user function supposed to mainly be used if you were scammed by that user, or if something on their profile broke the rules? Because if they insulted you or something, you can report the post/PM. 

#3 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

It's nice to have a guide for this now. Is the report user function supposed to mainly be used if you were scammed by that user? Because if they insulted you or something, you can report the post/PM. 

Yeah, reporting the user can be used for scams, but if you have PM proof of it then it's good to use that too. 

#4 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

Is this compulsory?

#5 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

Is this compulsory?

No, you don't have to report anything, but it's easiest for staff if users want something done about a post/person and we haven't seen what happened yet. 

#6 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

I don't understand people's hesitation to use the report button.

The mods are pretty fair here. o-o;

#7 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

I don't understand people's hesitation to use the report button.

The mods are pretty fair here. o-o;

Maybe part of it is, if they report something that isn't huge like scamming, just a small thing where it could be against the rules or not, (such as something that made them uncomfortable or they felt personally insulted, [the being hateful towards members rule]), they might think that the mods will find it to be just fine, and they'll feel stupid or something for reporting it? 

#8 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

Maybe part of it is, if they report something that isn't huge like scamming, just a small thing where it could be against the rules or not, (such as something that made them uncomfortable or they felt personally insulted, [the being hateful towards members rule]), they might think that the mods will find it to be just fine, and they'll feel stupid or something for reporting it? 

That's understandable but I think people should keep in mind that we don't sit in the staff section laughing at people's feelings or reports, we take them all very seriously even if it may not break the rules we always take the reporter's feelings and report into consideration. :) IMO the only type of report abuse is people making constant reports to hide their posts/move their threads. 

#9 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

That's understandable but I think people should keep in mind that we don't sit in the staff section laughing at people's feelings or reports, we take them all very seriously even if it may not break the rules we always take the reporter's feelings and report into consideration. :) IMO the only type of report abuse is people making constant reports to hide their posts/move their threads. 

This ^

Reports are actually taken very seriously, especially when one person is attacking another. When I was a mod there were times where we would analyze the situation for quite a long time, just to make sure we were giving out the right punishment, and deliberate how to prevent further similar situations.

#10 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

This ^

Reports are actually taken very seriously, especially when one person is attacking another. When I was a mod there were times where we would analyze the situation for quite a long time, just to make sure we were giving out the right punishment, and deliberate how to prevent further similar situations.

You as a mod? It looks like they were really desperate, huh? :p

(I'm just joking, please don't report me <3)

#11 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

You as a mod? It looks like they were really desperate, huh? :p

(I'm just joking, please don't report me <3)

HEY...actually you're right :p

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Reported for harassment

jk

Reported for inappropriately using the report system.

#13 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

Reported for inappropriately using the report system.

Reported for reporting the person misusing the report system.

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

I didn't report any of you.

#15 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

Reported for reporting the person misusing the report system.

C-C-COMBO BREAKER

I forgot to mention, nice guide @Emily!

Edit: kinda ninja'd by Napi

Edited by Swarley, 16 November 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#16 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

I didn't report any of you.

Reported for refusing to report people abusing the report system. 

#17 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

I think there is a huge misunderstanding with a situation like that. All of the staff members with overarching mod capabilities are intelligent enough to see beyond whether report is point-blank "stupid" or not. We all are aware of the intention behind the report and that's where we release our judgement upon by the small chance that we do actually judge the person. We almost never do. We just jump into the case the moment we read it.

Out of all the reports we've done, less than a pinch of the teaspoon of the handful of the report deliberations is about the reporter. We know when someone earnestly reports a case because they interpret a rule being broken and whether or not we agree with the case, it doesn't matter. We do respect both that report and the person who made it. If anyone under this description feels crossed in any form from opposing decisions of the staff (like not taking action even if the reporter is strongly for the action), don't. If anything, a least it was brought into attention and if the issue becomes chronic, the staff can use such data to respond to the issue. Example: the whole point of this thread is because of recent influx of reports (as well as someone bravely bringing it up when we asked for topics for the staff meeting yesterday).

On the other hand, we get reports from people who are momentarily "excited", getting overly impulsive, joking around, or not in a calm state of mind for whatever reason. Ex. being offended or spiteful from someone else's action, misunderstanding, etc.. Prime example. 

Reported for harassment 

jk 

(as well as the chain that follows)

We don't even laugh at reports like these. We just shake our head.

However, there is a chance that the person IS currently in a state of being unsound but what they reported is action-worthy. At that point, we do look beyond the reporter and focus on the case. However the example above doesn't follow this criteria.

tl;dr Read the above.

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

The easiest way to avoid these complications: don't report people.

#19 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

The easiest way to avoid these complications: don't report people.

I think making a suggestion like that is very irresponsible if what the person wants to report is very serious and pressing. One thing I want people to know is that mods are here to help the community. We have good intentions and reasons behind the actions we make. I wish people felt more comfortable trusting us with the issues so they don't have to fight them alone. I wouldn't wish someone to attempt in stopping someone else from losing control and in turn, make the situation worse. As mods, we're good resources to prevent someone else from digging deeper in troublesome situations that can be avoided with a simple report. 

As people, us mods aren't reading every single post the moment it's made so we aren't aware immediately when something is wrong. By reporting people when you seriously think they broke the rules, you bring attention to polemic matters that can be  dealt with with the least stress on behalf of the reporter.

#20 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for the Guide~!
I highly recommend we don't be neo-twats or of that assortment & it'll all be good :3
I guess Codex-twat would be appropriate, but Neo-twat sounds more offensive.

#21 Canis

Canis
  • Official Bacon Queen

• 1279 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

This ^

This is actually a relief to hear. I agree that the main reason why people (myself included) were/are hesitant to report. 

It's also reassuring to know that all reports are taken seriously. ^^

Thanks guys! :D

#22 MKOunite

MKOunite
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the guide, I actually only just noticed that there is a report button on individual posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users