Quantcast

Photo

"Lego's 'Minecraft' competitor is real and ready to download"

4 replies to this topic

#1 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

Just in case anyone had been following this and/or thought about trying it out, thought I'd share this news article:

http://www.engadget....01/lego-worlds/

lego-worlds-fullbleed.jpg

#2 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

Oh I look forward to this! Especially once multiplayer is incorporated.

"Blah blah blah pay money for real bricks" someone complains in that article - so? What one is forgetting is that, unlike Mojang, Lego has quite a few licenses (DC, Marvel, Doctor Who, etc.) already worked out. Those licenses aren't free.

Though since they're already established they may be able to throw in these guys to their game (or more easily work out a deal to do so):

657c8d7b474817ff81add3411d52c877.png

So dang straight I'd be down for paying for real life DLC that can also be used in game.

Besides, not like one is being forced to upgrade their gaming experience through this manner.

And unlike, say... Skylanders or whatever, the lego pieces have more possibilities for use IRL besides collecting dust in a box somewhere or "display shelf" or whatever.

Closest thing Minecraft did was/will be Scrolls which ended up having some legal bs with Bethesda because of The Elder Scrolls.

But yeah, this is really awesome.
Looking forward to both the online and offline experience. :D

#3 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Oh I look forward to this! Especially once multiplayer is incorporated.

"Blah blah blah pay money for real bricks" someone complains in that article - so? What one is forgetting is that, unlike Mojang, Lego has quite a few licenses (DC, Marvel, Doctor Who, etc.) already worked out. Those licenses aren't free.

Though since they're already established they may be able to throw in these guys to their game (or more easily work out a deal to do so):

657c8d7b474817ff81add3411d52c877.png

So dang straight I'd be down for paying for real life DLC that can also be used in game.

Besides, not like one is being forced to upgrade their gaming experience through this manner.

And unlike, say... Skylanders or whatever, the lego pieces have more possibilities for use IRL besides collecting dust in a box somewhere or "display shelf" or whatever.

Closest thing Minecraft did was/will be Scrolls which ended up having some legal bs with Bethesda because of The Elder Scrolls.

But yeah, this is really awesome.
Looking forward to both the online and offline experience. :D

Dunno, all these things can be added via mods/textures/skins. And I damn well doubt Legocraft's going to be mod-friendly.

Sure the skins might be more polished since there's major money backing it but in the end they'll just be skins (unless Legocraft's going to be a pay2win game, which is another whole can of fucks) and they'll often have to cut down on features to make the skins/patches balanced (because do you honestly excpect player run servers having the ability to 'block'/'disable' things that have been bought for real money?)

#4 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

Meh. I watched the video and still have zero interest in playing it. I love LEGO, but not to this extent lol

#5 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Dunno, all these things can be added via mods/textures/skins. And I damn well doubt Legocraft's going to be mod-friendly.

Sure the skins might be more polished since there's major money backing it but in the end they'll just be skins (unless Legocraft's going to be a pay2win game, which is another whole can of fucks) and they'll often have to cut down on features to make the skins/patches balanced (because do you honestly excpect player run servers having the ability to 'block'/'disable' things that have been bought for real money?)

Personally, I've never really been into modding a game beyond the occasional graphics improvements.

Our own server, for example, I'd use ChromaHill. Once y'all went all out with FTB I lost interest and went back to console Minecraft.
Just my personal interests. I'd rather play a game for what it is, at least the first playthrough, before making it into something different. Y'know?

Still, it's being launched on Steam which is quite popular for their modding community.
Even if Steam or Lego blocked all mods you know other, outside communities would pop up.

Just look at The Sims 1-4 for example. You don't need company approval to be able to mod a game... despite what they may think, want, or intend. Workarounds can and will be implemented if necessary. (Frikkin EA... smh...)

And will there even be a need for mods?

Right off the start anyways?

Lego has the fortune of coming in later into the game and able to learn from Minecraft's mistakes.
This game looks like a much smoother, more improved Minecraft with lots of things to do within the core game itself.

Unlike Minecraft, it's less likely to grow stale as swiftly.

As for skins...
I can't really say this early on.
I'd personally release skins through the minifigures and make it cross compatible with their new Lego Dimensions game.

Alternatively I'd probably do something like Marionette with my figures & display them:

Spoiler

Though I could easily see myself picking up smaller build sets and incorporating these mini figures into that.
Just seems like there's more options to use the figures beyond the game itself - unlike Skylanders/Disney/Summon Riders/etc.

And that's assuming they even go that route.
If they're just skins they could take the Minecraft console approach - have the option to buy skin packs, but no one is forcing you.

Even if you do buy they're only like $2.

But I have no idea how they're releasing them or to what extent they'll affect gameplay (if at all). If I can't do X or access Y area because I don't have Z figure then yea, that's annoying AF. But we'll see. Hopefully it'll just be visual.

If nothing else, the reviews for the work-in-progress Early Access are promising: http://store.steampo...com/app/332310/

If people consider it "worth it" for the full $15 in its Alpha phase I'd take that as a good sign. It's only going to get better with time.

May actually give in a test it out myself soon. :)

ae2bab77ac1c806edd6b499213105295.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users