• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

Windows 10 has been out for a while now. Some people love it, some people hate it (me!), and some people don't want to find out. Good news! There is an easy way to stop Windows (Vista/7/8) from upgrading to Windows 10, and the most simple way I've found, comes in the form of a program called "GWX Control Panel" from the website UltimateOutsider.com. The program is safe, and simple to use...

DOWNLOAD LINK

HERE (Installer)

or

HERE (Standalone)

Directions

- Install GWX Control Panel wherever you want.

- Open the .exe that should be installed on your desktop.

XEx77fG.png

This window will open up.

NOTE: A lot of the boxes in the "information" block will most likely have "Yes" in them. Mine all say "No" because I've done this already.

buAyNWl.png

- From here you'll be able to enable/disable features. The first option you want to click is more annoying than anything:

- "Click to Disable 'Get Windows 10' app (remove icon)

- The second button you'll want to click is probably the most important:

"Click to Prevent Windows 10 Upgrades" this button will NOT allow windows to upgrade to Windows 10. (Woohoo!!!)

If Windows 10 was already downloaded on your machine, you'll also be able to delete all of the Windows 10 upgrade folder and included programs.

To do so click the buttons that say:

"Click to Delete Windows 10 Programs..." and

"Click to Delete Windows 10 Download Folders..."

After all of that is done your GWX Control Panel will look like this:

vazFNpt.png

One final note: GWX Control Panel does NOT have to remain installed on your machine for your chosen settings to stay.

I suck at writing guides, and lack imagination to make them all pretty. Don't laugh at me =[.

#2 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

If I keep clicking No Thanks on the popup that comes up every few weeks, will that stop Windows from being sneaky and just installing W10?

And thanks for the guide, hopefully I won't need it.

#3 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

I'm sorry some people hate you

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Thank you, I fixed my blunder :D.

If I keep clicking No Thanks on the popup that comes up every few weeks, will that stop Windows from being sneaky and just installing W10?

And thanks for the guide, hopefully I won't need it.

That won't prevent the upgrade. @Rocket recently had her computer automatically (attempt to) install Windows 10 when she wasn't ready. 

#5 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

Thank you, I fixed my blunder :D.

That won't prevent the upgrade. @Rocket recently had her computer automatically (attempt to) install Windows 10 when she wasn't ready. 

What the ffffffff. That almost sounds like a virus, just doing sneaky shit no one asked for. Reminds me, I was so worried it was a virus when it first started popping up.

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

What the ffffffff. That almost sounds like a virus, just doing sneaky shit no one asked for. Reminds me, I was so worried it was a virus when it first started popping up.

That was a lot of peoples problem with the whole "forced" installation thing. I had windows 10 since it came out, and there were a few compatibility issues I didn't like, so now I'm back on W8!

#7 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Yes it basically did the entire upgrade without me saying yes, and when I woke up I had to continue the final piece of the update. I'll have to figure out how to revert when I get home :(

#8 Kitty

Kitty
  • Kitten please šŸ±

• 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

I must be the only one who likes windows 10 :C

#9 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

That was a lot of peoples problem with the whole "forced" installation thing. I had windows 10 since it came out, and there were a few compatibility issues I didn't like, so now I'm back on W8!

Like torrents? I think I saw that mentioned a few times today, that would definitely stop me from upgrading to 10. Meh. 

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Like torrents? I think I saw that mentioned a few times today, that would definitely stop me from upgrading to 10. Meh. 

Windows 10 stopped my ever-so legit Office, and Photoshop to stop working.

#11 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:29 AM

I have it on my laptop and I don't mind it. I just wasn't prepared to upgrade my desktop yet

#12 Kitty

Kitty
  • Kitten please šŸ±

• 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

I have it on my laptop and I don't mind it. I just wasn't prepared to upgrade my desktop yet

Oh that I can understand, I had some custom windows 7 themes that I had to disable due to fears of it crashing LOL!

And files I wanted moved, etc.

#13 Rainforce

Rainforce
  • 314 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

I actually quite like windows 10, more than 8 at least. I used to have windows 7, but ten actually seems to be a bit faster. I have no compatibility issues at all. I use a VM for apps and games that need windows XP or lower. I also have torrented Microsoft Office and adobe CC.

#14 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Yes it basically did the entire upgrade without me saying yes, and when I woke up I had to continue the final piece of the update. I'll have to figure out how to revert when I get home :(

Reverting is easy :p 

• Open up Settings via the Start menu or the taskbar icon.
  • Click Update & Security and then move to the Recovery section.
  • Under the Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1 heading, click Get startedand you'll be guided through the rest of the process.

What's with torrents? People think they can't torrent on w10. It's completly wrong xD 

#15 Lollita

Lollita
  • 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

I'm one of them  :ninja:

I like it too xD

#16 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

I'm one of them  :ninja:

Bring back neg rep!!  :lol2:

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

It force updated on me after months of me telling it no. It grew on me though and I like it.

#18 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

It force updated on me after months of me telling it no. It grew on me though and I like it.

It's not a bad OS at all. I liked how smooth it feels, there were just too many compatibility issues for me.

#19 Scot

Scot
  • ā‰”^į“„^ā‰”

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Pressing the red X means install now. You have to manually "schedule your install" and specify never.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

It's not a bad OS at all. I liked how smooth it feels, there were just too many compatibility issues for me.

I don't have any compatibility issues since I keep everything in either notepad or paint.

Pressing the red X means install now. You have to manually "schedule your install" and specify never.

It's too late now!

#21 Scot

Scot
  • ā‰”^į“„^ā‰”

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

Windows 10 isn't bad. But I am cautious about software that pushes itself onto you so hard. It reminded me of this time I went in for a "job interview" and expected their questions to be challenging. Turns out they really really wanted me from the get go. I noped the fuck out and stopped taking their calls.

same thing happened to my dad but he doesn't push any buttons without asking me first  :lol2:. Just say you don't agree to the terms of use and they'll revert it back for you.

#22 Wynd

Wynd
  • 397 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

this would have been awesome. jokes on me 'cause i walked away from my computer for 30 minutes and it was updating

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#23 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

I love Windows 10. Everything works now, even the things I couldn't get to work on Win 7 xD

#24 Spenzer

Spenzer
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:26 PM

Is there way to uninstall windows 10 when it installs? My mom accidentally installed it on her computer and now a majority of her games won't work- and that's mostly all she uses the computer for. Someone told me it wasn't possible to downgrade, but I figured I'd double check since I was on this thread. Lol.

#25 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

Is there way to uninstall windows 10 when it installs? My mom accidentally installed it on her computer and now a majority of her games won't work- and that's mostly all she uses the computer for. Someone told me it wasn't possible to downgrade, but I figured I'd double check since I was on this thread. Lol.

http://www.howtogeek...ndows-7-or-8.1/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gwx, combover, windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users