• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

The title says it all. Except it doesn't, because I'm failing miserably. Does anybody have any words of wisdom to help motivate me? 

#2 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

You gotta go 100% cold turkey. It's the only thing that worked for me at all.

#3 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

You gotta go 100% cold turkey. It's the only thing that worked for me at all.

I mean, I'm trying. But going from a pack a day to cold turkey was really rough. Dizziness, night sweats, nausea. And I have to work every day so that's why I failed with that ..

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

Getting pregnant helps.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

@Jess, that is terrible advice xD

#6 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Awwww! I am proud of you for taking the steps to quit! It takes a strong person to do that, especially cold turkey! My MIL stopped smoking and used Jolly ranchers or Hershey kisses and sucked on them anytime she had a craving for a cigarette. But she also had chemo and radiation to deal with. If she didn't have throat cancer, she wouldn't have stopped smoking. 

My mom still has yet to stop smoking. She tries and then when she gets stressed out, ruins all the time she quit by buying a pack and lighting up again. My mom hasn't ever made it past 3 months of quitting. But every time she does quit, I am on her side and believe she can do it!. I will never give up on her and her wanting to quit, no matter how many times, as she says, she fails. 

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

@Jess, that is terrible advice xD

But it works.

Fine, increase c and b vitamins to the point of annoying, drink obnoxious amounts of water, start on a Friday, avoid alcohol or any other trigger, and sweat as much as humanly possible.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Cristen did vaping to quit, which took a long time to wind down to zero nicotine. It seemed to be really effective, though :)

#9 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

Cristen did vaping to quit, which took a long time to wind down to zero nicotine. It seemed to be really effective, though :)

This is what my husband did. But he keeps falling off the wagon. He has poor impulse control tho.

#10 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

Awwww! I am proud of you for taking the steps to quit! It takes a strong person to do that, especially cold turkey! My MIL stopped smoking and used Jolly ranchers or Hershey kisses and sucked on them anytime she had a craving for a cigarette. But she also had chemo and radiation to deal with. If she didn't have throat cancer, she wouldn't have stopped smoking. 

My mom still has yet to stop smoking. She tries and then when she gets stressed out, ruins all the time she quit by buying a pack and lighting up again. My mom hasn't ever made it past 3 months of quitting. But every time she does quit, I am on her side and believe she can do it!. I will never give up on her and her wanting to quit, no matter how many times, as she says, she fails. 

Thanks for your kind words! I'm hoping to quit before the point of throat cancer but gosh darn is it ever hard. I never thought I would miss smoking as much as I do, even though I'm just trying to cut down at this point.

Three months is awesome though. Hopefully she sticks with it one of these times. Most people who have quit tell me that it took them a lot of tries before it stuck, hence the 'never quit trying to quit'. Ugh. :(

But it works.

Fine, increase c and b vitamins to the point of annoying, drink obnoxious amounts of water, start on a Friday, avoid alcohol or any other trigger, and sweat as much as humanly possible.

See, I would wait until Friday, but I got an angry email from my landlord today about my smoking so I thought 'welp, time to quit before my ass gets evicted'

What does vitamin c and b do? Are you suggesting I pick up a bottle of those?

#11 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

I did, the second time I quit. The first time, I quit cold turkey. I was much younger then, and not as emotionally and physically affected by smoking. It was just something that I did because I wanted to.  The second time around, I had actually started smoking as a conscious decision because my life and job were so stressful at the time, so it was much harder to quit.

#12 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Does it help with the cravings?

This is what my husband did. But he keeps falling off the wagon. He has poor impulse control tho.

I feel his pain ..

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Well, spank him.

#14 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

I did, the second time I quit. The first time, I quit cold turkey. I was much younger then, and not as emotionally and physically affected by smoking. It was just something that I did because I wanted to.  The second time around, I had actually started smoking as a conscious decision because my life and job were so stressful at the time, so it was much harder to quit.

How did you deal with the physical withdrawal?

#15 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

For me it did.  I LOVED vaping.  Honestly I would love to still do it.  It makes you look like a twat but it was very helpful for me.  Most of my family has made the switch from smoking to vaping (we are from Kentucky, where everyone smokes).  The ones who are unsuccessful keep smoking cigarettes while also vaping, like they have one or the other for different situations.  I would not recommend that.

How did you deal with the physical withdrawal?

I didn't have any, because of the nicotine in the juice.

#16 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Well, spank him.

Good thing I have a sense of humor lol!

#17 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Well, spank him.

I prefer to receive, rather than give. ;) 

I feel his pain ..

He has ADHD so he has shitty impulse control. And I think he uses the ritual of vaping and nicotine as some sort of coping mechanism for his stressful job.  It's a battle. But I respect him for trying and he's almost exclusively cut out cigarettes so that's good.

#18 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

For me it did.  I LOVED vaping.  Honestly I would love to still do it.  It makes you look like a twat but it was very helpful for me.  Most of my family has made the switch from smoking to vaping (we are from Kentucky, where everyone smokes).  The ones who are unsuccessful keep smoking cigarettes while also vaping, like they have one or the other for different situations.  I would not recommend that.

I didn't have any, because of the nicotine in the juice.

Okay, well I actually bought a vape but I haven't really used it to replace smoking. I was doing both as a means of cutting down. Maybe I'll try it your way though. Thank you for that, it gives me hope to see that it worked so well for you!

He has ADHD so he has shitty impulse control. And I think he uses the ritual of vaping and nicotine as some sort of coping mechanism for his stressful job.  It's a battle. But I respect him for trying and he's almost exclusively cut out cigarettes so that's good.

That's awesome. Vaping is definitely less harmful than smoking (at least when I read into it a while back). Are you hoping for him to cut out both completely?

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Okay, well I actually bought a vape but I haven't really used it to replace smoking. I was doing both as a means of cutting down. Maybe I'll try it your way though. Thank you for that, it gives me hope to see that it worked so well for you!

Awesome!  For me, I started with less expensive setups but they ultimately ended up frustrating the fuck out of me.  It wasn't until I invested in a good battery/tank/coil combo that I was happy with it.  I spent about $70 US for a good rig, and used it until it died.  That took a while, and I was able to tell myself that I was ready to not replace it when it kicked the dust, and worked down my nicotine levels over that time so that I would be ready.

#20 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

That's awesome. Vaping is definitely less harmful than smoking (at least when I read into it a while back). Are you hoping for him to cut out both completely?

I want him to do what he's comfortable with more than anything. I think he will probably never stop vaping completely. He manages to stop for a month or two but then gets way stressed and ends up smoking cigs at work. I'd rather he vaped than smoked cigs because I don't like ashy mouth feels. But I mean, sure in an ideal world, he never would have picked up either habit. But I don't blame him for it and I don't make him feel badly about it. We all have our habits. And to be fair, he has one of the most stressful military jobs. He's a maintainer.  Flight line folk are treated really badly, they have poor working conditions, unsafe working conditions, long hours, etc.

#21 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Awesome!  For me, I started with less expensive setups but they ultimately ended up frustrating the fuck out of me.  It wasn't until I invested in a good battery/tank/coil combo that I was happy with it.  I spent about $70 US for a good rig, and used it until it died.  That took a while, and I was able to tell myself that I was ready to not replace it when it kicked the dust, and worked down my nicotine levels over that time so that I would be ready.

Can I asked where you purchased it from? I bought a shitty $20 one and I can see where you're coming from with the frustration.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Can I asked where you purchased it from? I bought a shitty $20 one and I can see where you're coming from with the frustration.

We had a local vape shop that we frequented. And we did a lot of research on our own rather than trusting the salespeople :p

#23 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

I want him to do what he's comfortable with more than anything. I think he will probably never stop vaping completely. He manages to stop for a month or two but then gets way stressed and ends up smoking cigs at work. I'd rather he vaped than smoked cigs because I don't like ashy mouth feels. But I mean, sure in an ideal world, he never would have picked up either habit. But I don't blame him for it and I don't make him feel badly about it. We all have our habits. And to be fair, he has one of the most stressful military jobs. He's a maintainer.  Flight line folk are treated really badly, they have poor working conditions, unsafe working conditions, long hours, etc.

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear that. It is SO FUCKING hard to quit, I really do feel where he's coming from. It's a mental and physical addiction. I've read that your brain chemistry while quitting smoking is comparable to those trying to quit heroine or cocaine. I think your support has probably been key in helping him cut down, though.

We had a local vape shop that we frequented. And we did a lot of research on our own rather than trusting the salespeople :p

Well that doesn't help me :(

#24 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

Try smoking/eating weed instead. 

#25 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Lemme see if I can figure out which one that I had...brb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users