293 replies to this topic

#1 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

POPULAR POST!

Georgina's Proxy Guide!

Hi there! I know from my own personal experience that Proxys can be a daunting thing to try to learn, they seem/sound complicated and also messing around with your IP sounds risky. So to help clear up a few things heres a guide with most the things you'll need to know to get started.

First of all a proxy is just an IP address from another computer - IP stands for Internet Protocol.

IPs are basically like name tags, and are unique to your Internet connection. So no 2 IP addresses will be the same.

What's the benifit of using a Proxy?

To be honest theres lots of benefits it can give you but to summarize, It will stop Neopets detecting your own IP address and in the unfortunate event that you are froze you are still protected on your home IP.

The reason for this is because when ever you log on, or access a page TNT can see your IP address and see what you are doing. For example if you are using Abrosia on several different Neopets account TNT will see you logging in on several accounts and refreshing and all under one IP so obviously its going to look inhuman and your likely to be frozen - chain frozen.

So if you have multiple accounts, or even just a main and a illigit side account then its ideal that you can use and understand proxies as It will change your own IP and let you log into you other account(s) without them detecting your main and your original IP address and thus making it look like there are multiple people using the accounts from totally different computers.

Some other benefits include:

* To keep machines behind it anonymous.
* To speed up access to resources (using caching). Web proxies are commonly used to cache web pages from a web server
* To apply access policy to network services or content, e.g. to block undesired sites.
* To bypass security/ parental controls.
* To circumvent regional restrictions.

One thing you always need to remember is that using a proxy is never a guarantee that you still wont get frozen, if you still use the programs suspiciously then you can still get frozen! (but at least it means that your other accounts will be ok :) )

Types of Proxies
* Transparent Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server and also makes the original IP address available through the http headers. These are generally used for their ability to cache websites and do not effectively provide any anonymity to those who use them. However, the use of a transparent proxy will get you around simple IP bans. They are transparent in the terms that your IP address is exposed, not transparent in the terms that you do not know that you are using it (your system is not specifically configured to use it.)

* Anonymous Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server, but does not make the original IP address available. This type of proxy server is detectable, but provides reasonable anonymity for most users.

* Distorting Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server, but make an incorrect original IP address available through the http headers.

* High Anonymity Proxy (Elite) - This type of proxy server does not identify itself as a proxy server and does not make available the original IP address.

(types quoted from whatismyip.com)

Ok that may sound confusing to some people but basically if you want to use a proxy you need to use a High Anonymity Proxy, or Elite, as this is the only type of proxy that will completely hide your original details from TNT.

One thing to note; proxies will only work while that connection is open wherever it is in the world, so after some time you will probably need to change proxy.

Using Proxies with Abrosia

Posted Image

Its easy peasy!

BEFORE you log into your Neopets account, click on settings, then web settings, check the box and just enter the Proxy IP you have and test it to see how fast it is and if your happy, click ok and off you go!

Usefull Links:

http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/
http://www.xroxy.com/
http://checker.samair.ru/ (great for checking your anonymity)
http://www.whatismyip.com/
www.bestproxyandvpn.com/control-panel.html (good site for buying elite proxies)

So good luck and I hope this helps!!
!

Please feel free to ask me any questions :)

(guide by me - dont steal :ninja:)

Edited by ShadowGirl64, 20 June 2011 - 07:25 AM.

#2 Map

Map
  • 861 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Georgina you are the best. Thank you so much for this guide :D.

Do you have any suggestions on where to get a perm. proxy that you would have to pay for? or to be discussed via PM? ;)

#3 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

Georgina you are the best. Thank you so much for this guide :D.

Do you have any suggestions on where to get a perm. proxy that you would have to pay for? or to be discussed via PM? ;)

I know where to get them where you do have to pay for yes - but i think you misstyped and meant to say "wouldnt" have to pay for? lol

Pm me anywho ;)

#4 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

great guide georgina. i think using a proxy can slow down your internet speed though, so wouldn't it lower your chances of getting a good item when using abrosia? Also, if you use abrosia for 3 accounts do you need 3 different proxies or will 1 proxy be fine? my rationale is that the 1 proxy will hide your IP in all 3 accounts so only 1 is needed. is this correct.

#5 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

great guide georgina. i think using a proxy can slow down your internet speed though, so wouldn't it lower your chances of getting a good item when using abrosia? Also, if you use abrosia for 3 accounts do you need 3 different proxies or will 1 proxy be fine? my rationale is that the 1 proxy will hide your IP in all 3 accounts so only 1 is needed. is this correct.

Thanks :) yep your correct with the fact that it wont be as fast as your origonal IP but I find it pretty easy to still find proxys that come in at around the 1 second or under mark, and yeh it will lower your chances of getting an item but you also adjust your settings to counteract this :thumbsup:

With your second question for each account idealy you need 1 proxy for every account, as if your working on just 1 proxy for 3 your risking all 3 getting chain frozen, whereas just the one if they were all kept seperate

#6 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

I think you should include foxyproxy as part of your guide...

#7 Is30akc

Is30akc
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the guide! Definitely makes it easier to understand proxies..

#8 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the thanks guys - plus repping me is also appriciated :thumbsup:

Yeh I shall throw in a few helpfull sites me thinks....

#9 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

Posted this in the other thread as well, but if you're including FoxyProxy I found this video guide extremely helpfull as well:

Thanks for the guide! :thumbsup:

#10 Kas

Kas
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Georgina. I have a question, though. If you had been playing on your main from your normal IP, then went suddenly from there to some asian proxy and did some fishy buisness, would that put up some red flags? Or would they not even notice?

#11 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

Thanks Georgina. I have a question, though. If you had been playing on your main from your normal IP, then went suddenly from there to some asian proxy and did some fishy buisness, would that put up some red flags? Or would they not even notice?

You can use the proxy on your other account but if you start using different IPs on your main account it will just look like someone hacked you.

So you can use your main on your normal IP and then switch over to your side and use your proxy no problem at all - but not on your main - stick to the one IP.

#12 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thank you so much for this :)

#13 Dlza

Dlza
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

thanks for the useful post

#14 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

+rep for this hun ;)

#15 Map

Map
  • 861 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

I already asked Georgina this, but maybe a Programmer or a proxy master can answer this question:

I bought a proxy from foxyproxy, but when I input the I.P. Address & Port number in to any necodex program, it gives me this error:

"THe HTTPWrapper could not connect to the proxy you specified, or the connection timed out".

I tested out the proxy in my mozilla firefox, and it works fine. It displays the correct IP on the "whatismyip.com" website.

Oh, another detail is I have to log in using some username/password to log into the proxy and browse from there.

Any suggestions / solutions?

#16 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

uh oh anna looks like the problem lies with the Proxy's Auth I have a suspicion that maybe neocodex programs don't yet support HTTP Authorization, Try putting a topic up at the bug tracker, and bug the living daylights out of the programmers in pm and IRC :p

Edit: :o That was my 100th post ^_^

Edited by Andy, 16 January 2010 - 03:40 PM.

#17 Map

Map
  • 861 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

uh oh anna looks like the problem lies with the Proxy's Auth I have a suspicion that maybe neocodex programs don't yet support HTTP Authorization, Try putting a topic up at the bug tracker, and bug the living daylights out of the programmers in pm and IRC :p

Edit: :o That was my 100th post ^_^

:< .. could anybody PM me any successful paid proxy sites that work with the codex programs? I'm looking for monthly IP's so I don't raise the red flag of changing IP's everyday with the free ones :(

#18 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

this answers my questions about transparent proxies :p Thanks :)

#19 colmantio

colmantio
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

wow man, nice tutorial!! i'd like it!
thanks for posting it!

#20 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:17 AM

i've got a question: do you NEED to get a proxy from your own country? or can you also use proxies from other countries/states?

#21 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

Thank you so much for the guide! It was very helpful (:!

#22 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

Great guide..I just looked at mine and I got my IP from it but it also stated I was a * High Anonymity Proxy (Elite) - This type of proxy server does not identify itself as a proxy server and does not make available the original IP address

So thats good at least..

#23 Khalid

Khalid
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Anyone know why mine is stuck with abrosia at initializing?

Edited by Khalid, 23 March 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#24 vigaraca

vigaraca
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

I use the proxy option of firefox

#25 queen

queen
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

can i use the ip from my cousing's house as a proxy? also how do i know if its a transparent proxy or an elite one?
????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users