Photo

The Iron Thread

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#1 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Someone said a work-out topic needed to be created.

VOila!!!!! Share your tips, goals, nutrition, progress pics, supplements here!

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

I can bench a million weight things.
Totally.

I've never understood the urge to compare such an arbitrary statistic o.o

#3 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

Great idea on the thread :D I saw your comment about height/90 degrees/chest. What's your opinion on the matter?

#4 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Great idea on the thread :D I saw your comment about height/90 degrees/chest. What's your opinion on the matter?

I prefer to touch the chest but that's because my arms are shorter compared to 6ft+ people who already feel a good movement at 90 degrees.

wasnt my idea, it was jakes i think

#5 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Rawrrgarrg.

I have abs of steal.

5M+ Cruches a day

#6 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

I prefer to touch the chest but that's because my arms are shorter compared to 6ft+ people who already feel a good movement at 90 degrees.

wasnt my idea, it was jakes i think

It was mine xD
Ah, how tall are you? I'm 6 ft and use to be able to touch the chest, I had a sports injury though with rotator cuff so now I don't quite touch, bit more then 90 though.

#7 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

Rawrrgarrg.

I have abs of steal.

5M+ Cruches a day

the new patrick bateman!

On the topic of crunches... The Iron Guru (BBer back in the 40-60's) Vince Gironda said that crunches would cause the hips to tilt forward due to shortening of the hip flexors. This would cause the unaesthetic look where the guts spill out (not to be mixed up with hgh/insulin gut) and the glutes to stick out. He then invented what is known as "frog crunches" which keep the body from activating the hip flexors during a crunch movement.

Simple cross your legs
and do your crunch while keeping your back against the floor ( this really strengthens the deeper layer of abdominals)

It was mine xD
Ah, how tall are you? I'm 6 ft and use to be able to touch the chest, I had a sports injury though with rotator cuff so now I don't quite touch, bit more then 90 though.

ouch how long has it been?

i've had two friends tear their r/cs as well it's a real dampener on your chest and shoulder sessions. have you looked into all the 5lber exercises where you wave the weight around?

5'6', if i didnt touch i dont tihnk i would be doing much of anything.

#8 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Ah that's a good height for working out :p
It's been like 7 months? Still bothers me for certain exercises, dips in particular. I do the waving weight exercises normally before every chest workout, just to try to warm them up. I've only been back working out for a month and a half or so though, took a big break after the injury.

#9 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

Ah that's a good height for working out :p
It's been like 7 months? Still bothers me for certain exercises, dips in particular. I do the waving weight exercises normally before every chest workout, just to try to warm them up. I've only been back working out for a month and a half or so though, took a big break after the injury.

hahaha so i've heard that it's easier to look chunkier with minimal amount of muscle at my height.

howd you injure your r/c? which sport? what happened

#10 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

As I said, I maxed 195 today touch to chest. I'm 5'9" so it works for me.

#11 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

hahaha so i've heard that it's easier to look chunkier with minimal amount of muscle at my height.

howd you injure your r/c? which sport? what happened

Got nailed by a 200 pound safety lol, oddly enough it wasn't the hit that did the damage, it was the way I landed. Do you take any supplements?

Where Noit?!?! Join the thread Noit I know you want to :crybaby:

#12 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

Good job bro, how long have you been at it?

Bet you're just stoked to hit 2 plates

#13 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

Still a very nice lift Random :p :thumbsup:

#14 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

Got nailed by a 200 pound safety lol, oddly enough it wasn't the hit that did the damage, it was the way I landed. Do you take any supplements?

Where Noit?!?! Join the thread Noit I know you want to :crybaby:

bet you had an arm under his belly side and your other arm to help you break your landing except it got hyperextended! I've always wanted to play football except my school never had a team. hahaha cant say i would be on the field much though

#15 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

Ah ya, football never was my good sport, basketball's where it's at :p

#16 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Ah ya, football never was my good sport, basketball's where it's at :p

only recreational for me i was never too good very good at bball. however i prefer volleyball and rugby :D

so whats your routine? do you follow one of the more well known ones ? what about your diet? I'm doing cyclical keto diet atm

#17 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Edited by PeonYourLawn, 06 December 2010 - 03:51 PM.

#18 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

Day 2 of beachbody insanity. So far its looking pretty stupid. Just random jumps for 25 minutes. Gonna give it the full 60 days though

Supplements I'm taking whey protein, fish oil, 5k uis of vitamin d and some nootropic complex (which isn't working as well as I thought it would. The way Cody described it I was hoping for telekinetic powers)

#19 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

so whats your routine? do you follow one of the more well known ones ? what about your diet? I'm doing cyclical keto diet atm

Ah well right now I'm trying to recover from the 30-35 lbs I lost in the last 7 months, so I'm eating tons of carbs and protein, clean though, want to stay under 8% bodyfat. My routine changes every week, till I get my strength back. I do legs Monday, Tues off, wed chest, Thurs. back, Fri shoulders, arms Saturday if I'm feeling good, and chest Sunday. My good friend is a 210 pound monster(under 10% body fat O_o ) and he did a few years of personal training so I've been doing whatever exercises he does. Normally switches it up every week (except the big ones.. squat/deadlift/bench, ect)

What about your routine? What exactly is the cyclical keto diet?

Day 2 of beachbody insanity. So far its looking pretty stupid. Just random jumps for 25 minutes. Gonna give it the full 60 days though

Supplements I'm taking whey protein, fish oil, 5k uis of vitamin d and some nootropic complex (which isn't working as well as I thought it would. The way Cody described it I was hoping for telekinetic powers)

Ooh insanity, heard some pretty crazy things about that workout :p Keep us posted
What is the nootropic complex? Just a pre-workout, nitric oxide? You should try Jack3d, that's what I take, works miracles, Noit just started taking it as well. Gotta make sure you stay hydrated though!

#20 Gambit

Gambit
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Well I'll share some of my tips I use.

First things first. When you first decide to start working out or decide that you want to start working out again the first thing you should always do is set a goal for yourself. Make it a reasonable goal that starts you off on a good steady pace. Say for example you weigh about 175lbs and you want to lose a little weight or your mid-drift section is getting a little soft and you want to add a little definition to it. Make plans and schedule a set of activities you are willing to do in order for you to reach your goal. I strongly advise not to set goals like losing twenty pounds in two weeks are anything like that. Because you will, most likely, become discouraged or even abandon your plans completely if you don't know what your getting yourself into.

Now that you have set a goal for yourself it is now time to discuss how you are going to get there.

Nutrition, one of the three tiers you absolutely have to consider when working out as it contributes greatly to the results of your effort. If you live a lifestyle of fast-food and high calorie diets do not worry. It is never too late to turn around. Never change your diet completely out of the blue. For example, you want to start eating raw foods starting tomorrow when your main diets consist of burgers, junk food, sweets. It is not safe at all to have a 180 degree turn on your diet because your body might not be able to keep up with all the different content intake. So I advise starting out small. Start with some bad eating habits. Here are some:

- Try to keep yourself from eating past 10:00pm.
- Instead of reaching for chips or candy bars try granola bars or trail mix.
- Instead of high sugar juices or sodas try drinking water or flavored water.

Little things like those will help you start out right. As you progress with your goals you should really start purging all the unhealthy meals out of your diet. Another way to start out on a healthy diet is to stop obtaining meals from outside sources like fast food chains, restaurants etc. Start making your meals yourself. You will see that you will be able to control what you put in your body. It would be much healthier to eat a home-made burger than to eat one of the mystery meat burgers from fast-food places. No time to make meals? No problem. Every two weeks you should start compiling meal cards. Meal cards will help you decide what to eat on what day. They include recipes of meals you will prepare for that day. It really helps in deciding what to eat instead of just staring blankly into your refrigerator. Don't know any recipes? It's okay. You have the internet! Go to Foodnetwork.com find some recipes that you like and print them or copy them out on note cards.

What kind of recipes you should be looking for would include:

Meats: Chicken, Salmon, and lean cuts of beef. No pork!

Veggies: Onions, Garlic, Potatoes, Carrots, Celery. Basically anything that is in season. Try to theme your meals around the time of year.

Seasonings: Try to cut back on salt intake. Always use herbs that are fresh.

With cooking your meals at home you will save more money and also be able to control what you put into your body.

Taking substances such as protein, whey, and other dietary products should always be planned out first. I really don't recommend taking an substances besides a daily vitamin and a little extra protein. But before adding any substances to your dietary regiment you should always consult your physician. They will be able to tell you what to take and how much of it to take as well as how to take it.

Workout regiment:

The second tier of the three. Weather you're working out in a gym or at home it is always wise that you create a workout based around what you think you can do and what you think will help you reach your goal. Along with starting goals for yourself you should plan out easy exercises that you will be able to do. Base your exercise regiment around your goals. If you're trying to lose those squishy saddle bags then base your routine should be based around a mid-body workout. Start off small there is no rush. As you progress increase the difficulty of the exercise. If you plan on working everything out assign three to four days of the week that you will workout. Try to assign each day to a different section of your body. For example, Monday will be upper-body day, Wednesday will be mid-body, and Fridays will be lower-body workouts. Always allow your body a day of rest after each workout. Concerning times of day on which to work out pick the times of day which you are most energetic. Of course working around your job and school. Moderation is key. The more you put into your workout the more results you will get. If you have no idea where to start try going to some body-building or exercise forums and asking questions or seeking tips from veterans or those who are experienced in working out.

When working out at a local gym try to consult a personal trainer. You don't have to stick with them through your journey on achieving your goals but they will help you to get started if you're new and have no idea what you're doing.

Working out at home:

No money for a gym membership? No problemo. Regular everyday exercises like push-ups, sit-up, pull-ups work just fine if done correctly and in good moderation. Accompanied by store-bought weights it is really all you need.

The third and final tier, self-determination. You will achieve nothing if you don't have the drive or will to create a better lifestyle for yourself. Before starting out ask yourself if this is what you really want. Set out a goal for yourself and set out to achieve it.

#21 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

Good job bro, how long have you been at it?

Bet you're just stoked to hit 2 plates

Two plates as in two 45s? Because that's 225 isn't it?

Still a very nice lift Random :p :thumbsup:

Thanks but not getting those last 5 pounds makes me a pussy ^_^

#22 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

What is the nootropic complex? Just a pre-workout, nitric oxide? You should try Jack3d, that's what I take, works miracles, Noit just started taking it as well. Gotta make sure you stay hydrated though!

Brain boostar. I'd rather not take supplements like jack3d, I'd rather do a shitty workout 'normal' than a better one hopped up on caffeine :p

#23 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

Two plates as in two 45s? Because that's 225 isn't it?

Ya 225, won't take you long to get there :p

And good post Gambit, although you missed one of the most important things.. REST!!! Get enough sleep at night and be sure to not over-train.

#24 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

taking 5k IU every 3 days ( this is without sunlight or the multi and milk)

should i up it to 1 day? XD how are the effects so far? Do you feel more happy?

also where is ur multi vitamin?

#25 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Brain boostar. I'd rather not take supplements like jack3d, I'd rather do a shitty workout 'normal' than a better one hopped up on caffeine :p

Yeah sometimes I question myself with all the caffeine.. specially on the days where you don't take it, and theres no way you can work out because you rely on the caffeine. Oh well guess it's better then steroids :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users