Status Update Advertising

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#51 Tsvete

Tsvete
  • 690 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

Leave the next one for me please! *giggles*

The status bar looks so much better now!

#52 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Actually I saw a good idea the other day when looking in the forum for the current competition.

Put a LINK in your siggy to your thread, that way instead of your comment status being bumped off by other status sells, EVERY post you make will have an add there.
How's THAT for a good idea people? Just post it in your siggy if you want people to know you are selling, if they are curious they will click!

Boggart: only have 6 trades cuz dont have too much UFS and a bit new to cheating but status did help, guess ill just have to get use to it :/
Thats a great idea im gonna try to add my whole thread xD

#53 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

This rule is no longer important

This is now a race between Junsu and myself to post this thread's URL on rule breakers

FIGHT!

#54 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

I disagree this is silly.

#55 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

I disagree this is silly.

I also disagree with the opinion that this is silly.

Posted Image

Edited by Junsu, 16 March 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#56 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

#57 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image

I C NO DIFFERENCE

#58 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

I C NO DIFFERENCE

HAH, Brock, that perv..

Edited by Narna, 17 March 2011 - 04:10 AM.

#59 Mahas

Mahas

• 503 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

o.o

#60 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:17 AM

o.o

It's more like -.- for Brock :p

#61 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

something that bothers me about the status update selling is that people aren't even doing it right:

Hypothetically, you posting a status about selling is to say "I'm online NOW to trade!" But the people lately who clearly just post a trading status then don't come back for hours are just clogging the statuses and not even "online now". They should just use the trading boards if they're not going to check back for hours upon hours (which no longer is a choice :p)

#62 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

Actually I saw a good idea the other day when looking in the forum for the current competition.

Put a LINK in your siggy to your thread, that way instead of your comment status being bumped off by other status sells, EVERY post you make will have an add there.
How's THAT for a good idea people? Just post it in your siggy if you want people to know you are selling, if they are curious they will click!

Posted Image

or cute adorable buttons :whistling:

#63 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image

Yes! Do want!

BUY MY SHIT!

#64 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Yes! Do want!

BUY MY SHIT!

Uh. Yeah. Anyway.

No. Unless you have a Halloween/Maraquan Cybunny.

:p

#65 Duple

Duple
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

The buttons/links in the siggy definitely seem like the more appropriate way of 'status advertising'
But this itself might cause more people to spam post, and we wouldn't want that on our lovely threads.
Just my two cents.

Nevertheless, thank you for finally stopping those status ads.
Very crisp.

#66 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

Uh. Yeah. Anyway.

No. Unless you have a Halloween/Maraquan Cybunny.

:p

I'll try zap one for you and then pm you ;)

#67 esilim

esilim
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:15 AM

Is it possible to add a module to the front page, just like the status module, but exclusively for trades--and have it optional whether to display it or not? I know that this would largely duplicate the functionality of the Codex TP, but since we are a community that is renowned for (even predicated upon!) our laziness, I think buyers and sellers would like the option of a quick-glance on the front page. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been so much foot-dragging to follow jcr's request or resistance to the new rule.

And when I say that we are predicated upon laziness, I mean of course everyone but the programmers. Our laziness exults in the fruit of their blood, sweat, and tears.

#68 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

Status updates are just more convenient than the TP. :/

#69 mysterybat

mysterybat
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

same feeling :/ ....
and more easier for people to see LOL
when I want to buy things and sell things, I bump the board for months ,however,very few people look at that and I find it extremely difficult for me to do trades

but when I advertise it in status updates ,I get the PM within a few days :/

feel a bit disappointed although the rule prevents spamming

Edited by mysterybat, 18 March 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#70 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Frankly I don't see why people would spam post to "get their advertisement around", as soon as you edit your signature, it appears in every single post you've ever made, so if people are reading threads and you posted in them, they'll see your advertisement for your thread anyways.

#71 Kuraz

Kuraz
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

I suppose the banning of advert is to not to make others get annoyed.

but if somebody is posting similar things again and again all day, it is still a pain in the ass.

you know, seeing somebody posting "I have a nice pet for sell" 10 times a day is way better than seeing "take a look at my artwork. heres the link" 10 times a day. (i am not pointing at anyone). so what I mean is, should the ban be generalized? like banning posting the same things again and again, or banning sb for updating status like 10 times a day?

#72 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

Posted Image

LOL your post was the one I saw that I thought "great idea!" about.

I suppose the banning of advert is to not to make others get annoyed.

but if somebody is posting similar things again and again all day, it is still a pain in the ass.

you know, seeing somebody posting "I have a nice pet for sell" 10 times a day is way better than seeing "take a look at my artwork. heres the link" 10 times a day. (i am not pointing at anyone). so what I mean is, should the ban be generalized? like banning posting the same things again and again, or banning sb for updating status like 10 times a day?

To me, "Status" means "what's going on right now with you" and I use status updates to alert if snowager is awake or to remind users of something like illusen's day. I don't think status updates should be used to advertise ANYTHING, artwork offers, selling, buying, or even showing your butthurt about the rule.

Status updates used to be like a c-box thing, you don't want to see a bunch of spam advertising in a chat room so why do you think we want to see selling in status. (This is a general "you" I don't mean you specifically KrawkLover)

So short answer, yes I think the rule SHOULD be generalized IMHO.

#73 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

So short answer, yes I think the rule SHOULD be generalized IMHO.

Though, what if I started streaming something and put the link in my update? It's part of "What's going on with me" because it's something I'm doing, but since I'm "advertising" my channel, it wouldn't be allowed, and it would be rather difficult to let the members know that I have it up if they're interested at all.

#74 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Though, what if I started streaming something and put the link in my update? It's part of "What's going on with me" because it's something I'm doing, but since I'm "advertising" my channel, it wouldn't be allowed, and it would be rather difficult to let the members know that I have it up if they're interested at all.

Its not a service though, not in my opinion. Saying something like "Uploaded stream I made of ... -link-" isn't the same as saying "Will stream anything, PM me for requests!" or "Check out my streaming thread to make requests for me to stream."

I think the rule should be "No using status updates to advertise services to other members."

I vote Hydro edits the Status Update plugin so that users you have 'ignored' on the boards are also 'ignored' in the Status Menus, and then the ban on Advertising gets rescinded as people who continually spam it (honestly I don't mind once every few hours especially if the shoutbox is extremely active). People who then abuse the freedom of advertisement will then simply be ignored en masse and it will become ineffective.

Pluss cause this would be very handy.
Sadly I don't ignore anybody cause if I don't see their posts I might miss part of the conversation and be confused, or my addition might be irrelevant or preposted because I don't see it.

#75 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

I think people are taking this status updating thing too serially. If you don't like someones status then how about moving your eyes to the left a little bit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users