Gay Marriage Bill Passes for New York

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#126 fxckyouguys

fxckyouguys
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Oh dear, you were being serious :/

Let's be realistic here, did you all really think everyone was going to be shitting rainbows about it?

#127 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Let's be realistic here, did you all really think everyone was going to be shitting rainbows about it?

Nope, but I figured the one-liner was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, in response to what was going on in the thread at the time.

Going back to what I was talking about before, there's something my parents taught me even before I entered Gr. 1, and then the teachers in elementary school had this written in giant letters and stuck on the wall, for everyone to see every day. The Golden Rule. I live by it, but it seems like many people don't :/

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim,[2] ethical code, or morality[3] that essentially states either of the following:

• One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive form)[2]
  • One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule)
The Golden Rule is arguably the most essential basis for the modern concept of human rights, in which each individual has a right to just treatment, and a reciprocal responsibility to ensure justice for others.[4] A key element of the Golden Rule is that a person attempting to live by this rule treats all people with consideration, not just members of his or her in-group. The Golden Rule has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard different cultures use to resolve conflicts.[2][5]

#128 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

I don't get it. There're bullies who pick on kids of other races. There're bullies who pick on fat people. There're bullies who pick on poor people. There're bullies who pick on gay people. There're bullies who pick on ugly people. There're bullies who pick on smart people. There're bullies who pick on stupid people.

Then, since this is a large problem that's already happening, we should prevent other races from making babies. We should prevent people who're genetically inclined to being fat from having babies. We should prevent people poorer than the bullies from having children. We should lock gay people in a basement so that bullies won't have to see them. Ugly people should all get plastic surgery before they can have kids, and then their kids should get plastic surgery so they won't get picked on by their generation of bullies. Smart people shouldn't be allowed to have kids since their smart kids will get picked on. Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to have kids for the same reason. Since the entire plan is to pander to the whims of bullies, where exactly does it stop? Why stop at gays? Bullies will pick on anyone they can for anything, because they're cowards like that. Bullies will always be a problem, and changing things to make bullies happy is only going to lead to another generation of fucked up, self-absorbed morons. You're pretty much saying, "Don't discipline kids for being bullies. Don't teach them that they need to respect everyone no matter what differences there are. Just don't give bullies a reason to bully you."

I went to a public high school (thankfully) in a little South American country called Guyana (Private schools here with the rich kids are Hellish when it comes to bullying, they're little self-entitled bastards whose parents barely see them for 5 minutes a day. Public schools are much much different in that respect here). Kids weren't bullied. We didn't have this nonsense about beating up kids for being different. Kids didn't dare give backchat to teachers. And oh yes, kids were given spanks with a ruler if they did dare insult a teacher. Bullying is not compulsory to go through when growing up. This country is a great example for that. Bullies in North America are given way too much freedom to do whatever they wish, with no repercussions. There was a gay boy in my class. And not a single person ever bullied him, in fact he was very well liked. People need to be taught tolerance and respect.

People need to stop being afraid of bullies, and deal with that matter, rather than pushing it aside saying it's too hard, and then going after the gays, who are a much much easier target, what with all the stigma attached to them. Bullying does not and SHOULD NOT have to be a part of growing up.

I wish that was true. But bullying is something that humans do naturally. If its a larger country bullying a smaller one. Or if its a bigger kid bullying a smaller one, people can see that. But I've seen cases of gay people bullying people for being straight. Ugly people bullying girls for being smart. Slut's bullying people for being prudes. While there are select types of people more inclined to being a bully, everyone is very much capable of being a bully. When you have anger or aggression, or even sorrow, having another person to target is instinctual way of feeling better about yourself. There are bullies far past high school/middle school/elementary school. There are bullies at my work. There are bullies at my dads work, and my brothers, and my sisters. There are even bullies at my mothers church. Some people bully other people without ever even realizing what they are doing. Jcrgirl is bullying right now as she attacks other people for believing differently then her.

Its just something I don't see as going away, but I think the objective is to eliminate the impact that bullying has. In middle school I was focused a lot on learning, and didn't care to have friends, as it distracted me from learning more. When I realized my mistake, and made friends, a lot of the people who bullied me stopped, and the few guys who only had bullies as friends, and thus kept bullying me, didn't affect me half as much, because I had someone who could stand by my side and yell insults at the back. We need to make it so kids actually have protection against bullies, rather then giving bullies protection, like we do now.

#129 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

So it wasn't just me that thought this forum had lots of one sided assholes.
Let me tell you my story of why I am on this forum:

I quit other mmporgs and wanted to focus more on my studies. Neopets seemed like a good alternate, coming back to my old account. I found this, and started to use abrosia. Bought some stuff, played for a month or so. Got bored, and got lazy turning on abrosia. Now I don't even use it. I only go on neopets to spend the remaining money I have for expensive scratchcards and zap my neopets. Then shortly after a period of inactivity with neopets, I posted in the chat section. Most forums, chat sections were pretty fun. This chat section was mostly serious. Quite different. Then as i posted, it seems as if people were being assholes. In other forums, people didn't treat me as a "troll". I don't even troll, but I'm accused of trolling for some random reason. Shadowlink64 was pretty nice to me. He's awesome. So I stayed, and posted more and more in the chat section.

From my view, I saw people bashing on the "new" people. Old members thought they were superior. I said, well this is ok.Then after a while, I started to get bashed on. So it wasn't just happening to them. After stating a few opinions, I get ganged up on. People don't seem to see my view, only theirs. They don't consider other views. I create a few topics that were quite "normal" in other forums. People say that it was worthless, stupid shit. Not worthy of their time. I post a simple link and asked if you believed this was real or not. Soon enough, I get bashed on for no reason at all. Saying that the source was stupid and gay and the sort. I mean honestly, what did I say wrong?

I was unhappy, the way people treated me. I tried to maintain my cool. I admit, it was kind of hard.
I conducted a research for my personal use. I went to this popular forum. I took a topic, and put it in this forum. Exactly the same. In the popular forum, everything was so happy and calm. People were talking to each other, holding good conversations. Nobody accused the op of trolling, because it wasn't!
In this forum, it seemed as if people said it was worthless shit yet again. Bashing and more bashing and even more bashing. And then i was called a troll.
So it was obvious that this forum was way different then others. The community was different. Two different forums. One says the op is a troll, the other talks and happily discusses the topic as intended by the op.
You guys should really get a reality check. If you guys continue to do this, people are going to be scared away. Nobody will stay unless they are one of you. And by "you guys", I mainly mean the older members here.
Up till today, I finally realized that this forum had lots of ignorant, one sided assholes.
LEARN TO ACCEPT OTHERS.
I will be posting an even more detailed analysis of this forum when I think the time is right.
I should have stayed in the trading post section. Never should have left.

#130 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

So it wasn't just me that thought this forum had lots of one sided assholes.
Let me tell you my story of why I am on this forum:

I quit other mmporgs and wanted to focus more on my studies. Neopets seemed like a good alternate, coming back to my old account. I found this, and started to use abrosia. Bought some stuff, played for a month or so. Got bored, and got lazy turning on abrosia. Now I don't even use it. I only go on neopets to spend the remaining money I have for expensive scratchcards and zap my neopets. Then shortly after a period of inactivity with neopets, I posted in the chat section. Most forums, chat sections were pretty fun. This chat section was mostly serious. Quite different. Then as i posted, it seems as if people were being assholes. In other forums, people didn't treat me as a "troll". I don't even troll, but I'm accused of trolling for some random reason. Shadowlink64 was pretty nice to me. He's awesome. So I stayed, and posted more and more in the chat section.

From my view, I saw people bashing on the "new" people. Old members thought they were superior. I said, well this is ok.Then after a while, I started to get bashed on. So it wasn't just happening to them. After stating a few opinions, I get ganged up on. People don't seem to see my view, only theirs. They don't consider other views. I create a few topics that were quite "normal" in other forums. People say that it was worthless, stupid shit. Not worthy of their time. I post a simple link and asked if you believed this was real or not. Soon enough, I get bashed on for no reason at all. Saying that the source was stupid and gay and the sort. I mean honestly, what did I say wrong?

I was unhappy, the way people treated me. I tried to maintain my cool. I admit, it was kind of hard.
I conducted a research for my personal use. I went to this popular forum. I took a topic, and put it in this forum. Exactly the same. In the popular forum, everything was so happy and calm. People were talking to each other, holding good conversations. Nobody accused the op of trolling, because it wasn't!
In this forum, it seemed as if people said it was worthless shit yet again. Bashing and more bashing and even more bashing. And then i was called a troll.
So it was obvious that this forum was way different then others. The community was different. Two different forums. One says the op is a troll, the other talks and happily discusses the topic as intended by the op.
You guys should really get a reality check. If you guys continue to do this, people are going to be scared away. Nobody will stay unless they are one of you. And by "you guys", I mainly mean the older members here.
Up till today, I finally realized that this forum had lots of ignorant, one sided assholes.
LEARN TO ACCEPT OTHERS.
I will be posting an even more detailed analysis of this forum when I think the time is right.
I should have stayed in the trading post section. Never should have left.

As much as I agree with the general guise of your post, I found the irony of the bolded portion a bit too much to handle... Perhaps you could learn the lesson you are preaching as well?

P.s. I've never once said anything about any of your posts before and called them stupid. I have, however, argued with your false statements. (I.e. gays produce unhappy children) FWIW, You've kind of made this whole process more difficult for yourself... I would expect any forum that I frequent to respond similarly to intolerance of the rights of a group of other people as you displayed here today. If you think it's okay to post things that are the equivalent of "black people should still be slaves" and expect a positive response, I honestly feel sorry for you... :(

#131 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

Link?

And let me clarify something further, for you sad, sad people:
You have the right to hold whatever opinion you want, but that opinion does not exist by itself. It is not a sacred thing to be protected, simply because it is an opinion, and not a statement of fact. If you cannot provide a logical underpinning, or evidentiary support, for your opinion, it is worthless, moronic, and wrong.

#132 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

So, how about them gays, eh?

Carry on, and try not to cause a shit storm this time. ;)

#133 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

So, how about them gays, eh?

Carry on, and try not to cause a shit storm this time. ;)

Oh, boo. That was a fun thread :p

#134 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Oh, boo. That was a fun thread :p

Off-topic: Bastards making me have to do some work around here, that's not fun, you should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. <_<

On-topic: This topic is utterly fabulous! *waves hand camply*

#135 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Off-topic: Bastards making me have to do some work around here, that's not fun, you should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. <_<

On-topic: This topic is utterly fabulous! *waves hand camply*

We have to keep your mind active.

Wonderful daaahling.

Hurrah NY, now on to the next place to enter the 21st century please!

#136 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

We have to keep your mind active.

Wonderful daaahling.

Hurrah NY, now on to the next place to enter the 21st century please!

It's unfortunate, but I see Texas attempting to secede from the union before passing such legislation... (Unless the federal govt. repeals the Defense of Marriage Act and then Texas would have to recognize gay marriages from other states under the Full Faith and Credit Clause.)

#137 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

The very existence of a "Defense of Marriage" act makes a mockery of everything your constitution and your country claims to stand for.

#138 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

Posted Image

Did someone say 'fabulous'?

#139 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Posted Image

#140 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

The very existence of a "Defense of Marriage" act makes a mockery of everything your constitution and your country claims to stand for.

I agree... If you saw my other topic "Only in America..." you'd see that I'm looking for refuge in a country accepting American citizens attempting to travel into the 21st century. :p

#141 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Separation of church and state America, fucking separation of church and state.

I don't want to sound like a douche, and I'm extremely happy that the bill passed, but you're wrong on that part. Separation of Church and State was never part of America's founding, Constitution, or it's laws. America was actually built around the church, as most of the people who settled came here because of religious persecution. The simple idea of Separation of Church and State came from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. That being said, I'm all for Separation of Church and State. :p

#142 j0nath0n3

j0nath0n3
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

On my mobile but wanted to post how happy I am for the state of NY, and hopefully the rest of the nation will follow!

I agree. I am happy with it but NY should have been the first state to legalize this.. I mean get real america... NEW YORK THE 6th? sad.

#143 Phog

Phog
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

<br />Honestly, I think gay marriage is too extreme. Marriage usually leads to kids and you don't really want parents that are lesbian or gay. You automatically make your children's life miserable. I mean it's not right to deprive a child of a father or a mother. You miss the activities that only a father could give or only a mother could give.  You don't want to grow up learning that your different just because you have gay or lesbian parents. I hope gay and lesbians don't have children because if they do, they are creating a hell for their child. When you go to that open house or parents meeting at school, people will ask, &quot;Are... those your parents?...&quot; Little children would say that's weird. Older children would make fun of you and tease you. You would become an outcast. I wouldn't want depressed and more suicidal kids in this world. There is enough. Of course, there is always cases where the child would grow up completely normal and not get teased, but lets be honest. You think that would happen? <br />So next time when all of you guys support gay marriage, think about the consequences and not just about the rights of humanity.<br /><br />What i just said will stir up arguments and opposition, but it is the sad truth. I fully support gay people being together and I have nothing against it. I just don't support marriage, because marriage usually signifies the time to start a family and children.<br />

First of all, there are no studies showing growing up with gay parents is bad for children. In fact, studies show just the opposite. Second of all, you're creating an the atmosphere you're worried about. If you don't think gays should have children, you're assuring that children with gay parents will be stigmatized. Children need love, period. Your opinion is ignorant and is based on a heckler's veto.

In reality, children of gay couples live happy, well-adjusted lives.

Of course, your original argument is flawed. Marriage is not only about having children. We let the elderly and those unable to conceive get married all the time.

PS, The American Spectator is a joke.

Cody is tearing it up in this thread.

#144 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

I agree. I am happy with it but NY should have been the first state to legalize this.. I mean get real america... NEW YORK THE 6th? sad.

Which are the other 5? </ignorant English girl who can't be bothered to go look it up/read anything>

First of all, there are no studies showing growing up with gay parents is bad for children. In fact, studies show just the opposite. Second of all, you're creating an the atmosphere you're worried about. If you don't think gays should have children, you're assuring that children with gay parents will be stigmatized. Children need love, period. Your opinion is ignorant and is based on a heckler's veto.

In reality, children of gay couples live happy, well-adjusted lives.

Of course, your original argument is flawed. Marriage is not only about having children. We let the elderly and those unable to conceive get married all the time.

PS, The American Spectator is a joke.

Cody is tearing it up in this thread.

Ah Phog, you've missed out on some great great fun about this already, staff have already been through and deleted 3 pages of arguing with him. :p

#145 j0nath0n3

j0nath0n3
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

It's unfortunate, but I see Texas attempting to secede from the union before passing such legislation... (Unless the federal govt. repeals the Defense of Marriage Act and then Texas would have to recognize gay marriages from other states under the Full Faith and Credit Clause.)

yeah texas should be the last.. and maybe the only one who wont accept.

Which are the other 5? </ignorant English girl who can't be bothered to go look it up/read anything>

Ah Phog, you've missed out on some great great fun about this already, staff have already been through and deleted 3 pages of arguing with him. :p

Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, plus Washington, D.C.
i didnt count washington in off course because it is not a state

#146 Phog

Phog
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

But we're working on it. ;)

Edited by Phog, 27 June 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#147 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

-

Edited by Kat, 08 May 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#148 j0nath0n3

j0nath0n3
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I feel like I have an obligation to post a full page in this thread.. but it would be hard for me.

My Dad is gay, and he isn't currently in a relationship but he was when I was in high school.

Long story short, I am very glad that NY and some other states have made gay marriage legal, and I hope one day Texas will have it.. but I doubt in my Dad's lifetime, and that makes me very sad.

Also PS, I was raised by my gay father and I'm not totally fucked up or depressed or any shit like that. If anything, it's made me a stronger person and the person I am today (I'm straight and totally comfortable with my sexuality.) In fact, my Dad is my best friend and I wish that we lived in a more tolerant community where he could be happy with someone.

Texas is very anti gay and yeah sad it is, but majority rules.. and majority in texas are homophobic.. I love straight people. . . they make more gay babies.. lol. I sound like a pedophile.. but they are also the future of a gay community.. so even though some straight people hate gays.. i still love them for reproducing and possibly bringing another gay person to life.

#149 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

I don't want to sound like a douche, and I'm extremely happy that the bill passed, but you're wrong on that part. Separation of Church and State was never part of America's founding, Constitution, or it's laws. America was actually built around the church, as most of the people who settled came here because of religious persecution. The simple idea of Separation of Church and State came from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. That being said, I'm all for Separation of Church and State. :p

I never said that Separation of Church and state was inherently what our country was founded on? I am very well aware of the fact that the only reason our government was formed was because of the religious persecution that our founders faced. But it is a defining part of our government at this point in time. :)

And on that note, I'm curious to those who're on here who oppose Gay Marriage, besides the whole ridiculous having fucked up kids thing; what is your defense? I guess I'm just having a hard time figuring out why it's such an issue to certain people and I've yet to find a rational, well thought out defense as to why, that isn't religion based. (I'm not trying to open up another shit storm, I'm just curious as to if someone can approach no gay marriage in a reasonable way.) I'm more than open to hearing why.

#150 Jibrille

Jibrille
  • 462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

Srsly people, if you are against it just DON'T marry someone of your same sex. It's so simple.... I hate yellow and i'm not obligating people not to wear something from this color.

Here on brazil, we got the domestic partnership last month, and it's sad how people think they can tell everyone else what to do. It's a big step until we have the civil marriage approved, but i hope we'll have this soon, just like NY :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users