Anyone have a Mac?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

It's here and it is beautiful! Super fast and I am surprised to say that I actually really enjoy OSX Lion. I got the trackpad and the magic mouse and they are both really nice to use. I really enjoy flipping through my internet history and sliding between apps with gestures. Definitely going to need some more time to figure out how the hell to full work this thing, though! :p

I need to find some software later tonight when I get some time. I may just buy Office, because I'm worried about non-legit software... haven't mastered partitioning the hard drive and making a backup of my current setup yet... (Any advice on doing the time machine without an HD attached to an airport would be appreciated! :p)

#27 RubberBand

RubberBand
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

Mac just shipped! Thank you all for all of your suggestions! I will be sure to use this $100 gift card to grab some of the apps mentioned!

Now the real question comes... MS Office or iWork?

Neither. I use Neo Office (which they installed for me before I picked it up). Craps all over MS Office IMO.

Not sure what else is absolutely essential. I use mine for work so I have CS5, but aside from that FileZilla, Burn, Ventrilo, NetMeeting, PDA NetMac, VLC and Utorrent, I don't know what else I've got lol. I don't use the mail client either - I use Gmail as my mail client.

#28 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

So... A few days in and I'm really loving it so far. I can open Photoshop in like 2 seconds vs. the 2 minutes of my old PC. Beautiful UI and graphics... I haven't mastered the trackpad thing yet, but I rather like it.

Debating on 1Password... I would jump all over it but I don't want to have to buy a copy for my PC and my iPhone... and otherwise, I wouldn't be able to remember the random strings. :(

I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that MS Office actually is pretty on a Mac... and don't get me started about playing angry birds on a 27" LED screen with a trackpad... Awesome!

Thanks for the help everyone and I'm definitely still taking suggestions for software/things I should know!

#29 Jaws

Jaws
  • 538 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

I need to find some software later tonight when I get some time. I may just buy Office, because I'm worried about non-legit software... haven't mastered partitioning the hard drive and making a backup of my current setup yet... (Any advice on doing the time machine without an HD attached to an airport would be appreciated! :p)

Well for me Little Snitch is a must, if you download a non-legit software for example Photoshop that requires a serial code, once you find one it will hide your computer from Adobe... this can also be used for different programs :)
For the MS Office, I found it a while back online as a free download... didn't really understand if you bought it or not?
Lastly I think Wondershare Video Converter is quite useful since there are very few Video Converters for macs.

Optional for me was Ilife 11, it's basically an upgrade to the programs that were in your mac to start with, I decided to download it for the improvements in Garage Band, but if you're not into that stuff... well skip it ^^

That's about every program I have :)

Edited by Jaws, 17 September 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#30 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Well for me Little Snitch is a must, if you download a non-legit software for example Photoshop that requires a serial code, once you find one it will hide your computer from Adobe... this can also be used for different programs :)
For the MS Office, I found it a while back online as a free download... didn't really understand if you bought it or not?
Lastly I think Wondershare Video Converter is quite useful since there are very few Video Converters for macs.

Optional for me was Ilife 11, it's basically an upgrade to the programs that were in your mac to start with, I decided to download it for the improvements in Garage Band, but if you're not into that stuff... well skip it ^^

That's about every program I have :)

Thanks for the info! I actually had already found Little Snitch prior to my obtaining the other software. :p

My mac also came with iLife 2011 so I have that as well... However, that video converter I may find useful. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users