• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:37 AM

So I have to do a project explaining cloud computing and it's advantages & disadvantages. Basically everything in a simple way.

So far, from watching videos about cloud computing it seems like it is good for businesses, but what about personal use? and is the idea that everything is internet connection based really good?

I'd really like if anyone could help me make my project.
:)

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

Everything stored in the cloud means that if your hard drive/computer fails you'll still have all your data. It also means that you can use multiple computers in different locations and still have access to all of your data without carrying it around with you or emailing it around.

#3 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

I already know that, Laser. I need idea on how I should present it. and topics I should cover in the project. anyways +repped. :D

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:44 AM

I already know that, Laser. I need idea on how I should present it. and topics I should cover in the project. anyways +repped. :D

You didn't say any of that initially. :p

#5 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:47 AM

You didn't say any of that initially. :p

I have read quite a bit about it now, but I can't think of a nice way to put it together. I need to make a PowerPoint presentation. To start, It would be great if you could suggest where do I begin? xD

#6 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

I have read quite a bit about it now, but I can't think of a nice way to put it together. I need to make a PowerPoint presentation. To start, It would be great if you could suggest where do I begin? xD

This article might be what you're looking for. Informative and cohesive.

http://www.freerealm...-disadvantages/

#7 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

that was quite helpful. +repped ;)

#8 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

That's pretty neat. It sounds like a high school report, or is it not? I used to work at netapp, the team I was on was the one writing the server-software for their cloud servers.

Anywho a few points you may want to touch on...

1) As Laser said, the data is kept safe on remote servers but this can also be a negative. It requires the user to have an internet connection in order to access their data and there's always an off chance that the server could be down or crash. So remember to discuss that.

2) The network's infrastructure is scalable(software side allowing)

3) Cost effective. A Dropbox user is guaranteed 2GB of storage but that data is allocated on demand, not all at once...

4) Ease of use for the general public

That's all I can think of :p

#9 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:16 AM

There was something that one of my lecturers said about cloud computing that you might be able to mention. He said he really doesn't like it because he feels like technology is going in reverse, back to the days when things were stored in a centralised location and people/computers had to go to this location if they wanted anything. Granted people had to actually walk to this location to get it, but the principle is still the same. As soon as we lose access to this location, we lose everything.

Maybe you could wrap that in a bit of bullshit and stick it in? I dunno :p

How strange. In the first half of the article, the guy simply refuses to use capital letters after full stops. In the second half, he does it every time. Looks like it was written by two different people.

#10 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

That's pretty neat. It sounds like a high school report, or is it not? I used to work at netapp, the team I was on was the one writing the server-software for their cloud servers.

Anywho a few points you may want to touch on...

1) As Laser said, the data is kept safe on remote servers but this can also be a negative. It requires the user to have an internet connection in order to access their data and there's always an off chance that the server could be down or crash. So remember to discuss that.

2) The network's infrastructure is scalable(software side allowing)

3) Cost effective. A Dropbox user is guaranteed 2GB of storage but that data is allocated on demand, not all at once...

4) Ease of use for the general public

That's all I can think of :p

It is a high school project. :) thanks btw.

There was something that one of my lecturers said about cloud computing that you might be able to mention. He said he really doesn't like it because he feels like technology is going in reverse, back to the days when things were stored in a centralised location and people/computers had to go to this location if they wanted anything. Granted people had to actually walk to this location to get it, but the principle is still the same. As soon as we lose access to this location, we lose everything.

Maybe you could wrap that in a bit of bullshit and stick it in? I dunno :p

How strange. In the first half of the article, the guy simply refuses to use capital letters after full stops. In the second half, he does it every time. Looks like it was written by two different people.

I see your point. Thanks :) and I don't think so 2 different people have written it as that person doesn't always leave the first letter after a period un-capitalized (even in the first half of the article). And it could just be that he didn't notice while typing. :)

I'll +rep everyone tomorrow. I've already used up my daily amount of +reps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users