Quantcast

Photo

How to improve someone's stay while healing from accident?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

So my friend recently got in a motorcycle accident. She has very bad road rashes everywhere, a broken finger, a stitched up pinky, sore neck, and a broken foot. Thankfully though, it's not as bad as it could have been.

I was visiting her the other day and I noticed she hasn't been able to shower yet, so I got her Dry Shampoo. Never heard of it before but I thought it might be worth a try (a nurse mentioned it). She is finally home now, but I'm trying to think of things to help improve her healing.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could help improve mobility, stay, etc for her? It's hard for her to get around on the crutches they provided but I've never broken a foot so I don't know any tips/tricks that might make that easier. Also if anyone has tips for her to shower/etc. Anything that can help, thank you. :)

UPDATE:

I brought her back scratchers, a nice new robe, pajamas, sponges to put on the armpit part of her crutches, incense (she prefers it to febreeze/etc), baby wipes, fuzzy socks since she can only use it on one foot so far, and I'm working on getting a walker since the crutches are a pain in the ass when it comes to her broken finger & stitches on her hand. She hasn't been able to bathe and won't be for a while she told me because her skin is too sensitive since she has road rash and bruises (she said she feels like the nerves of her skin are like right there so it would be too painful). She did try the Dry Shampoo and said it worked fine. Her girlfriend has given her sponge baths too so she's not entirely stinky. :p

Thanks everyone so far for such great tips!  :wub:  I appreciate it a lot!

Edited by Harlow, 21 January 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I've seen people put things over the part of the crutches that go under the arms to make them more comfortable. I'm not sure what it is however. As for showering, if the only part of her that's in a cast is her foot, she can put bags around it to keep the water out and shower that way (though with a broken foot it might be easier to take a bath). That's what I did when I broke my arm.

Just make her as comfy as possible. 

Edited by Satsuki, 19 January 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#3 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I had to go through this lovely experience a year ago (as the care giver). If she can rent a wheelchair, that would be the best and safest way to get around, especially since she's banged up everywhere and holding onto crutches would be difficult with the broken finger and stitched pinky.

I've also been told that walkers are much stabler than crutches which can slip out from under your arm, or the elbow crutches which can break more bones if you fall with it. With her injured fingers, putting all her weight on her hands might not be a good thing.

I don't know if she'd feel like doing anything much, she might still be mentally dazed. Her best bet might be doing things that don't require much thinking or effort. Maybe watching her favourite shows?

Visiting her and doing some tidying up helps a LOT, getting her shopping done or anything she has to go out for would definitely be appreciated too. Is she living with someone who would ensure she's eating well and take care of her needs?

As a friend, you could let her know that she can count on you whenever she needs. Just giving her a call every now and then to let her know she's not forgotten. She may not want to have a conversation probably because she's mentally exhausted from this whole ordeal, but she'd feel worse if people stopped reaching out to her.

I'm not sure what material things you can give her, the dry shampoo sounds great. For bathing, I got a hose from the hardware store and attached it to the faucet and used that instead of the shower. I also got air fresheners and sprayed them regularly so that the house would smell fresh so the person wouldn't feel self-conscious about not being able to have a proper shower and perhaps not smelling that great.

#4 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thank you all so far!

Thank you Ladida for all the great tips. I am definitely working on getting her a walker because the crutches just aren't doing it because of the finger so I'm glad I was going in the right direction with that. As for entertainment, I have given her my tablet to watch netflix on as well as my other computer to keep her occupied. I also brought some books. She has her girlfriend there to watch after her, but I can tell she is as worn out because we've both been at the hospital for the past couples days with no sleep so I just wanted to try to improve anything I can to make it easier for my friend and her girlfriend.

I'll try the hose thing too, I think the main problem is the pain from the shower since she has rashes/bruises everywhere. I will be sure to get her spray though. I'm wondering if baby wipes might help at all too.

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

I don't have any advice or tips but I just wanted to tell you that it sounds to me like you are a really great friend.
She's lucky to have someone as helpful, thoughtful, and caring as you are. I'm sure just your presence has made things slightly better for her. 
Keep it up! ♥

#6 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thank you Kate, I appreciate your kind words! ^_^

#7 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Baby wipes and they make those wet makeup removal pads.  Get a long back scratcher for her, some anti itch crème.  Some fine emery boards for sanding down scabs as they heal.  Vit E gel caps to minimize scars and to soften skin.    Strange as this might sound, a nice pretty robe and a little makeup to make her feel normal again.  We got my mom after her last accident a fine green silk robe, then dad got a hundred orange roses for her.  Then she sneezed all night and he ended packing all the roses up.  

#8 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

When it comes to washing, a bath is the way to go. Use bin liners/trash bags/black sacks (whatever the appropriate term is where you live) to cover the cast/broken ankle. Use gaffa/duct tape or electrical tape to seal it tight, not uncomfortable, just above the cast. Make sure you only tape on the bags, rather that the leg, or there's a cheap waxing about to occur, I'd suggest double bagging :) 

Is she allowed to walk on it, or is it only 1 footed at the moment? 

I don't know which style of crutches you have where you are, but a nice thick bathing sponge on the hand pieces will make getting around on them a lot easier :) 

#9 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Baby wipes and they make those wet makeup removal pads.  Get a long back scratcher for her, some anti itch crème.  Some fine emery boards for sanding down scabs as they heal.  Vit E gel caps to minimize scars and to soften skin.    Strange as this might sound, a nice pretty robe and a little makeup to make her feel normal again.  We got my mom after her last accident a fine green silk robe, then dad got a hundred orange roses for her.  Then she sneezed all night and he ended packing all the roses up.  

Lovely ideas! Thank you. :) She'll love a back scratcher and robe. I don't think she's ready for emery boards because of the bruising that might be too painful, but I'll put it out there. :D

When it comes to washing, a bath is the way to go. Use bin liners/trash bags/black sacks (whatever the appropriate term is where you live) to cover the cast/broken ankle. Use gaffa/duct tape or electrical tape to seal it tight, not uncomfortable, just above the cast. Make sure you only tape on the bags, rather that the leg, or there's a cheap waxing about to occur, I'd suggest double bagging :)

Is she allowed to walk on it, or is it only 1 footed at the moment? 

I don't know which style of crutches you have where you are, but a nice thick bathing sponge on the hand pieces will make getting around on them a lot easier :)

She's not allowed to walk on it. She can put a little bit of pressure but it hurts too much. 

Good idea with sponges, thanks! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users