32 replies to this topic

#1 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Download this now and use it for 1 week
In a weeks time one evening turn if off, I bet you you turn it back on straight away and keep it on for ever.
This drastically helps sleeping patterns and eye strain.
http://justgetflux.c.../pages/welcome/

I've just done a week, I'm actually sleeping better :) 

#2 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

It's messing with my gaming colours

#3 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

It's not really for use while gaming, it's more for if you're browsing for long periods, it acclimatises your eyes better. It colour matches the room around you. 

#4 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Can't access the site but if it's to reduce eye strain, there's a tool on Linux called redshift which does the same thing. I've never used such a tool but I have friends who like it.

#5 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

i'm gonna give this a try. can't wait for tonight to see the colour changing. :p

#6 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yeah I use f.lux on basically anything I can with a screen, however I've reduced the warmth to what I feel helps and at the same time keeps from eye strain. So far over the years, since 2007 or 2008 I think, I used it on my iPod I think. All the way using it on my Android Phones, my PC's and iPad and iPhone currently. I do turn it off quite often when designing sometimes. But yeah, I've found while on the computer at night I feel tired at a more realistic time than it being the usual 3 am. Not that I have a very good sleeping pattern since I finish work at midnight every night during the week. But for weekends, it definitely helps.

#7 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yeah I use f.lux on basically anything I can with a screen, however I've reduced the warmth to what I feel helps and at the same time keeps from eye strain. So far over the years, since 2007 or 2008 I think, I used it on my iPod I think. All the way using it on my Android Phones, my PC's and iPad and iPhone currently. I do turn it off quite often when designing sometimes. But yeah, I've found while on the computer at night I feel tired at a more realistic time than it being the usual 3 am. Not that I have a very good sleeping pattern since I finish work at midnight every night during the week. But for weekends, it definitely helps.

This reassures me. I've not noticed my sleep pattern change but I definitely sleep better. I'm hoping it'll help as I use it more. 

#8 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

I installed this a few months ago and instantly didn't like what it did to the colours of my screen so uninstalled it almost immediately.

I installed it again just before the weekend and decided to give it a proper try based your recommendation (and @Kat, who raves about it) and I have to say I was entirely mistaken the first time round. 

I used to just lessen the brightness on my Macbook when I wanted to go to sleep, or it got later at night, but the way that this works really has helped with eye strain thus far. I'm impressed.

#9 Vis

Vis
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

I installed it a while back and have been using it ever since. I can't say it has drastically affected me being able to fall asleep straight from the computer late at night, though. Maybe I should disable it for a couple of days to compare.

#10 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

I installed this a few months ago and instantly didn't like what it did to the colours of my screen so uninstalled it almost immediately.

I installed it again just before the weekend and decided to give it a proper try based your recommendation (and @Kat, who raves about it) and I have to say I was entirely mistaken the first time round. 

I used to just lessen the brightness on my Macbook when I wanted to go to sleep, or it got later at night, but the way that this works really has helped with eye strain thus far. I'm impressed.

How are you finding it? 

Has it been any better this time around? 

I installed it a while back and have been using it ever since. I can't say it has drastically affected me being able to fall asleep straight from the computer late at night, though. Maybe I should disable it for a couple of days to compare.

If you're using your laptop in bed, and then going to sleep, it's not going to make a huge amount of difference I don't think.

However, if you're going from computer, to bathroom to brush teeth etc, then bed, I find it's a lot easier. 

i'm gonna give this a try. can't wait for tonight to see the colour changing. :p

Has it done anything besides being pretty colours for you? 

Anyone else tried it? 

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Somehow I missed this thread. I'm downloading it now.

#12 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Somehow I missed this thread. I'm downloading it now.

I think it went up during quite a busy time. It didn't last on the new topics for very long. 

#13 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I just installed it, gonna give it a try and see how I like it.

#14 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

I just installed it, gonna give it a try and see how I like it.

Let me know how you get on, it's been a godsend for me :)

#15 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Downloaded and running now, will see how it goes :) Thanks @Tubbz!

#16 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Downloaded and running now, will see how it goes :) Thanks @Tubbz!

No worries, just wanted to share something with everyone I've found helped a lot. 

#17 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

so far so good, I normally turn down the brightness on my monitor, but I like the subtle color changes that this does instead. I'm gonna install it at work tomorrow too :D

#18 Floofy

Floofy
  • 48 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

I've used f.lux for quite a while now.  It really seems to reduce eye strain for me and I like how it just does it automatically.  It also tells me when sunset is Hahaha

#19 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

so far so good, I normally turn down the brightness on my monitor, but I like the subtle color changes that this does instead. I'm gonna install it at work tomorrow too :D

The more gradual change is nice as well. 

Make sure you choose the right lighting as well from the menu. (although some are pretty extreme.)

#20 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

I used it for a month, and it kept looking too reddish/yellowish. Anything that looked normal was basically the daytime setting, which makes it useless. :(

#21 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have this running at work (where I have 4 giant monitors) and i just clicked turn off for one hour to see the difference, holy smokes batman, it was blinding. How have I lived this long without not knowing about this?

Thanks @Tubbz !!

#22 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have this running at work (where I have 4 giant monitors) and i just clicked turn off for one hour to see the difference, holy smokes batman, it was blinding. How have I lived this long without not knowing about this?

Thanks @Tubbz !!

Glad it's helped you and quite a few other people out. 

If I could figure out how to link it (nicely) to my sig, I totally would :) 

#23 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I've been using it for a while and I love it. It's especially great now since I stay up way too late...

#24 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I've used flux for a couple of years, and I refuse to update iOS because I would lose jailbreak and flux with it. So much better.

There is a "disable for a few hours" option, yo. 

#25 Daviid

Daviid
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

I have been using it for two months now, it's amazing, I don't even notice when it's changing. You can really see the difference if you disable it at night.
I once did it and
Spoiler
I recommend it to everyone I know.
I only disable it when gaming and watching movies or series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users