• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#1 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

So from my sickbed earlier, I was watching Graham Norton (Irish chat show host in the You-Kay) and he had Matt LeBlanc, Seth Rogen and Zac Efron on, who were all in agreement that Brits seem to swear more. Apparently our accents make the words sound harsher so it seems like it means more. :p (Apparently we also drink more, day-drinking in America isn't a thing? Who knew.)

Anyway, this reminded me of what a wonderfully multicultural community we have here these days and how it's been a couple of years since the last time we rehashed the "post a voiceclip so we can mock/swoon over your accent" thread that crops up every so often.

I've always been a bit defensive over people saying they love/hate/whatever "the English accent" because there's no such thing. But then I couldn't differentiate between any variations of a Canadian accent for instance, or Australian...I have a typical generic accent in my head for you guys and I attribute it to all of you. Americans, you are a tad luckier, I break you into 3 or 4 groups. Where as I could do (poor) impressions of about 8 different English accents that differ hugely, before even taking the rest of the UK into account.

So, pop yourselves over to http://vocaroo.com/, record a quick clip and tell us where you're from so I can improve my auditory geography.

This is me, sounding a lot more well spoken than I actually am - Apologies for the huge amounts of background noise, I can't be bothered to mess around with my mic settings to make it clearer.

(This always ends in me being bullied for sounding very young and posh, I swear recordings make both aspects worse - *waits for Northern types to arrive with mockery*)

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

:D

#3 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

@Ali sounds like Hermione :wub:

#4 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Of course Sweeney is the first to post with his youtube videos.

#5 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I might do one of these if i can find a fucking mic lol. But i've always said no one swears better than us, i even sent cara a snapchat video of me saying different swears to prove it :p

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

He has them bookmarked.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

Naturally :p

#8 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Oh god, do I?!

:D

I might do one of these if i can find a fucking mic lol. But i've always said no one swears better than us, i even sent cara a snapchat video of me saying different swears to prove it :p

Ha, I tried to record myself swearing to prove that point but it just sounded too ridiculous. :p

#9 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

This is a cool idea xD Ali you sound cute ;u;

I'm just terribly shy and my daily life doesn't require me to speak English so horrible German accent x_X"

Personally, I like British accent (if you could even call it accent) and it's very easy to understand x'D

#10 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Oh god, do I?!

Ha, I tried to record myself swearing to prove that point but it just sounded too ridiculous. :p

Yes! Not really just because you have an accent, I mean your actual voice. It may just be that recording? I love the way you sound though, you have a youthful voice, I'm jealous, I think I sound kind of raspy and scary. I'll post a recording later when it's more quiet in my household. :p

#11 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I've actually wondered what a lot of people sound like, to see if they sound like i think they will compared to their looks. I've wanted to lurk TC a few times but always forget.

I'll post a recording when I get of work. I have a boring American Northwest accent.

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Kill me.

And yes, @Ali, you're Hermoine.

#13 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

xD Is that the K-On movie you're reading the text from?

#14 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

xD Is that the K-On movie you're reading the text from?

Y-yeah...

#15 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Totes.

Also, day-drinking is totally a thing. Maybe not everywhere, but in my group of friends, yes! xD

I may or may not record my voice.

#16 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

When I think of a good british accent example, I think of David Mitchell:

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I shall post my Aussie speak here later once I'm done with work.

#18 Haliax

Haliax
  • 366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

When I think of a good british accent example, I think of David Mitchell:

That's MY bit of lager!

#19 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Awww yea more threads to post my voice in!!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WWknZuk4J5

B))

#20 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

This is a cool idea xD Ali you sound cute ;u;

I'm just terribly shy and my daily life doesn't require me to speak English so horrible German accent x_X"

Personally, I like British accent (if you could even call it accent) and it's very easy to understand x'D

You can always post something in German! :D I love languages. I always think of German as being quite harsh but a friend of ours is half-German and she makes it sound really beautiful.

Yes! Not really just because you have an accent, I mean your actual voice. It may just be that recording? I love the way you sound though, you have a youthful voice, I'm jealous, I think I sound kind of raspy and scary. I'll post a recording later when it's more quiet in my household. :p

I just made the Boy listen to it and he says it's my "best behaviour" voice that I use for talking to our bank manager, or his boss at work functions or when I'm pretending not to be drunk but have had a glass of wine too many to get away with it...very recognisable as me but not quite how I usually sound. I think it's just that if I'm recording, I think more about what I'm saying so enunciate a bit more...I don't know why I sound so young though, I really am 25!

I'll post a recording when I get of work. I have a boring American Northwest accent.

Well see, this doesn't fit into one of my pre-approved American categories so you must, because American Northwest means nothing to me. :p

Also, day-drinking is totally a thing. Maybe not everywhere, but in my group of friends, yes! xD

I may or may not record my voice.

Haha, well Matt LeBlanc says if you go into an American bar at lunch, it'll be deserted, where as here nobody really thinks anything of going to the pub at lunch, having a couple of drinks and then heading back to the office...Sweary and drinky, that's the Brits apparently.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Insert Jimmy Nail video:

^ Here

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Cfq1tag

#23 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Awww yea more threads to post my voice in!!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WWknZuk4J5

B))

I didn't know you lived in the UK!! You definitely sound American to me still though. :p

Insert Jimmy Nail video:

^ Here

Oh Auf Wiedersehn Pet...

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Oh Auf Wiedersehn Pet...

Are you going somewhere, pet?

#25 Karla

Karla