What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#1 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

I finished I am Livia this week...it was one of Amazon's Firsts for April. (It wasn't very good.)

I started and finished The One this week (the last book in the Selection trilogy)...it was a lot better than I thought. I think the author thought, "Well, everyone already knows the ending (or thinks they know), but I can still put in a few twists." And she did!

I read snippets of The Book of Life (final book in the All Souls trilogy) and Clariel (the next book in the Abhorsen series) this week. I'm excited about BoL, but I'm dying for Clariel. Garth Nix has been promising it for years and the snippet only makes it worse!

I started reading Uglies last night...it's kind of interesting so far. Not as bland as I am Livia, anyway.

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

I want to read, but it's hard to balance prioritized work and the heavy desire to loaf around.

I borrowed In the Moors by Nina Milton and Gift Wrapped by Peter Turnbull on Tuesday but I haven't got the motivation to really pick them up yet. I'll do that tonight. I've been into reading mysteries lately so that'll help with that breaking that first wall of laziness.

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Clariel (the next book in the Abhorsen series) this week. I'm excited about BoL, but I'm dying for Clariel. Garth Nix has been promising it for years and the snippet only makes it worse!

WHAAAAAT?!?!
I had no idea about this. Where is it? Where can I read it? Help!

(Also the Uglies series is alright. If you're on a YA kick, I can't recommend The Magicians by Lev Grossman with enough enthusiasm.)

#4 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I spend most of my life dipping in and out of High Fidelity so my copy of that is always lying around. Currently rereading Tender is the Night, which completes me reading all F Scott Fitzgerald in the past year. The last thing new I read was Bring Up The Bodies, which is the 2nd part of a trilogy that's a fictionalised account of Thomas Cromwell's life and the court of Henry VIII. It was long...

I have piles of books all over the house that I'm supposed to be making my way through.

#5 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

OMG! You like the Abhorsen books too? Yay, Sweeney!

Here's the one I picked up (Garth says it's available in the USA only): http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00K7DCJUY/

He released a separate three-chapter excerpt, but I guess that's only available in Australia/NZ. (One of my friends has read it and even has one of those bell charms! ARGH!)

#6 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

I read this post. Books are scary.

#7 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Don't even know most of the books you guys mentioned :unsure:

i read fanfiction though. harry potter fan.  :rolleyes:

#8 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

Books are awesome, @Teru!

@Leeroy

The Abhorsen series dealt with zombies and other dead/undead critters long before zombies were cool. (Sabriel was written in 1995.)

Will you read my old fanfic and review it? :D

#9 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Books are awesome, @Teru!

@Leeroy

The Abhorsen series dealt with zombies and other dead/undead critters long before zombies were cool. (Sabriel was written in 1995.)

Will you read my old fanfic and review it? :D

sure i will! i read anything on fanfiction! but mostly hp. still! i shall create an account to review ures!

#10 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think I'm still setup for anonymous reviews. :)

#11 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

Right now, I'm reading RxPrep

Can't wait to read REAL books in a few weeks after my boards are taken (and hopefully passed)

#12 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

aww nvm i arld created an account, going out for a beer run. 

btw Abhorsen series ... just googled it. its fantasy! my fav! gonna go to my library to see if there is~ !

#13 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Are you studying to be a pharmacist, Pi? I did my tech boards in December...good luck!

@Leeroy - absolutely read the Abhorsen series--Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. (You may not be able to get a copy of the story collection Across the Wall, though...and I still haven't read the short story To Hold The Bridge.) Clariel comes out in September...Sweeney and I are freaking out, because the author promised he'd write it ages ago and it's just now coming out. (I think he originally promised it in 2011.) It's set 400 years before the first book and details the descent of an Abhorsen into darkness.

By the way, @Sweeney...Abhorsen is a surname as well as a title. So they'd be "Sabriel Abhorsen", "Lirael Abhorsen", "Terciel Abhorsen", etc. (According to Clariel.)

Edited by Novelista, 16 May 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#14 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have a really bad attention span.. When i try to read a book my mind goes to another world where children are exploding and police are trying to identify the body parts.

#15 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Sounds like you need to write instead of read. O.o

#16 Kau

Kau
  • 261 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Exams have really lowered my energy recently and I just haven't been able to push myself to pick up a book, but I am reading a book called Zigzag Street by Nick Earls

#17 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

OMG! You like the Abhorsen books too? Yay, Sweeney!

Here's the one I picked up (Garth says it's available in the USA only): http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00K7DCJUY/

He released a separate three-chapter excerpt, but I guess that's only available in Australia/NZ. (One of my friends has read it and even has one of those bell charms! ARGH!)

Ugh, my kindle is registered to the uk store -_-
This is a disaster.

#18 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

This is the only other option: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00JP25GTY/

(That's the one that supposedly is only available to Aus/NZ, but when I made a fake Aus account and went back for it, it was gone.)

Believe me, if I knew how to grab a Kindle file, dig into it and pull out the relevant part, I would have it to you in a heartbeat!

#19 acrossthesky

acrossthesky
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'm reading ASoIaF, just started the second book yesterday. I originally wanted to wait until the series was finished, but I started watching the tv series when I was recovering from getting my wisdom teeth pulled not so long ago. Plus I've read a lot of crappy books so far this year; I wanted something I knew I would enjoy.

#20 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

I have the really bad habbits of starting 4 books at the same time plus a whole lots of random things... I have insomnia, so I read a lot.

I currently have "Et tombe les filles" (and the girls falls) just on my side, Molière complete collection on my bedside (IN FRENCH BITCHEEEEES!), Cable and X-force all over my desk (it's where I always put my comics of the week), I have the novelisation of the Dark Knight Rise on my kindle, multiple fanfics in my bookmark (one Inception fic is currently open in split screen XD) and about a 6 weeks of Spirou magazine to read. 

And I wonder why I don't see people a lot.

#21 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

And if I was a mod and had the Novelista's Novel award, the first one would go to Mathilda. :D

#22 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Dude, to be fair i'm just re-reading half of those XDD

I did read Molière for school (But I really love Don Juan. It's a truly brilliant peice!), The comics/Magazine are like, 30 minutes for me and I did read Cable and X-force at least 5 times (Cable is my fav \o/), half of the fanfic are really short and the one that I'm reading right now is cool, so I literally write a phrase, read one, and etc.

If I don't read until I almost pass out I can't physically sleep.

#23 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

I've almost finished The Wise Man's Fear ... I'm a sucker for fantasy and the series is really good.

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

I read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach this week, and got more than a few laughs out of it. She has a gift for simplifying complicated concepts down to something that she can effortless explain.

Next up is Tenth of December, a collection of short stories by George Saunders. ^_^

#25 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

Reading Pillars of The Earth atm, not my first time, it's a fantastic book I'm rereading the series. Also reading a book called Dark History of The Popes, it's more of a coffee table style book but very intriguing. 

Looking for any series suggestions, I go through books like wildfire and I prefer series because I get attached.  :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users