67 replies to this topic

#1 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys and gals! :D

I got a question for you which is as simple as it gets: what's your favourite word? And why? (Okay, so that's two questions, my bad. :p )

It can be in any language. :)

Mine is either: (In English) petrichor - the smell of wet grass or defenestrate - to throw something out the window, or (En Espanol) desafortunadamente (it translates out to 'unfortunately').

I like both the English words because they both sound fancy and look cool, but primarily I think that it's so awesome that English has words for such specific things! There are loads of other cool words in English (like abhor, for one), but so few that exhibit this level of awesomeness. (I also like the smell of petrichor... if that's not a tautology?)

And I like desafortunademente because it's very long, and the longer a Spanish word is, the better it sounds and the more fun it is to say. :p

Edited by Irradium, 20 July 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

My favorite word would have to be cantankerous which means "bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative". A close second would have to be concubine (a woman who cohabits with a man to whom she is not legally married, especially one regarded as socially or sexually subservient; mistress), and third would be axiomatic (self-evident; obvious)

Why do I like them? Other than they sound cool...I don't really have a reason.

Edited by Adam, 20 July 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#3 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I like indubitably (English) and indubitavelmente (Portuguese). They are the same words, and I like it in both languages. It makes me feel smart :p

I also like pneumoultramicroscopicossilicovulcanoconiótico (related to a pulmonar disease caused by inhalation of vulcanic ashes) and hipopotomonstrosesquipedaliofobia (irrational fear of pronouncing big or complicated words xD). They are both in Portuguese and are 1st and 5th biggest words in Brazilian Portuguese. I like them because they're really hard to say.

Edited by Swarley, 20 July 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Petrichor is the general smell after rain, not specifically of wet grass :p

I like "snausages".

#5 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

fuck.

#6 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

I like indubitably (English) and indubitavelmente (Portuguese). They are the same words, and I like it in both languages. It makes me feel smart :p

I also like pneumoultramicroscopicossilicovulcanoconiótico (related to a pulmonar disease caused by inhalation of vulcanic ashes) and hipopotomonstrosesquipedaliofobia (irrational fear of pronouncing big or complicated words xD). They are both in Portuguese and are 1st and 5th biggest words in Brazilian Portuguese. I like them because they're really hard to say.

Jesus Christ, they are hard to read, let alone say! The last one is indeed a bit ironic, huh? :p

Petrichor is the general smell after rain, not specifically of wet grass :p

I like "snausages".

Haha, thanks for correcting me! :p Good word choice! :)

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Jesus Christ, they are hard to read, let alone say! The last one is indeed a bit ironic, huh? :p

Hahaha yeah, the meaning makes it even better.

Would anyone like to guess my favorite word?

Definitely not cello.

Edited by Swarley, 20 July 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

fuck.

#9 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

That was beautiful. xD

#10 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

I like indubitably (English)

Yes!

defenestrate - to throw something out the window, or (En Espanol) desafortunadamente (it translates out to 'unfortunately').

I like this word.

I also like 'Verbatim'. I think its because my bf hates it, so I say it whenever possible.

#11 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

FINALLY I found someone who's favorite PT word is pneumoultramicroscopicossilicovulcanoconiótico...

(it's also the biggest PT-PT word :p)

I like "marafado" as well, it's a regional expression to adjectivate someone who's angry. 

Overall I prefer the british accent, everything sounds better :p but I can't remember any word in english I like particularly, and I'm sure I have many.

#12 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

In English I like "belfry", "residual", and "gradient"

In Finnish, I like "syksy", pronounced "sook-soo", which means autumn/fall

Edited by Mizk, 20 July 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Antidisestablishmentarianism. It's basically a political concept for groups or ideologies that were against the separation of church and state in the UK. I believe it either originates in the 16th Century with ol Henry VIII but could be mistaken.

It's also one of English's longest words.

#14 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Moist.

#15 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Antidisestablishmentarianism. It's basically a political concept for groups or ideologies that were against the separation of church and state in the UK. I believe it either originates in the 16th Century with ol Henry VIII but could be mistaken.

It's also one of English's longest words.

Huh, that's cool. I always hear it thrown around by douchebags who just want to spout out long words, but I didn't actually know what it meant. And that sounds like a pretty feasible origin. :)

FINALLY I found someone who's favorite PT word is pneumoultramicroscopicossilicovulcanoconiótico...

(it's also the biggest PT-PT word :p)

I like "marafado" as well, it's a regional expression to adjectivate someone who's angry. 

Overall I prefer the british accent, everything sounds better :p but I can't remember any word in english I like particularly, and I'm sure I have many.

Which one? There's a british accent for each square mile. :p

Seriously though, it varies a lot  - I sound remarkably different to, say, @Dan, even though we're only 100 miles apart. You should talk to @Boggart about British accents (and aubergines), he loves them. ;)

#16 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Uh....lemon would be it. Fruit, I just really love the taste of lemons, and the "other" meaning.  ;)

#17 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

Uh....lemon would be it. Fruit, I just really love the taste of lemons, and the "other" meaning.  ;)

No entiendo. :(

Mine is "Bubbly". It's just fun to say.

That and "Scimitar".

#18 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Crikey. Because, Australian.

#19 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Apparently is apparently my favorite English word.

My favorite german word is Vollidiot. XD

Edited by Scrafty, 20 July 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#20 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Seriously though, it varies a lot  - I sound remarkably different to, say, @Dan, even though we're only 100 miles apart. You should talk to @Boggart about British accents (and aubergines), he loves them. ;)

you think you know me so well :p

#21 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Facetious; I just find it enjoyable 

Moist.

Both my gf and sister-in-law despise that word

#22 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Axiomatic. Stephen King taught me that one.

"All boys are bad. It's axiomatic."

#23 Lily

Lily
  • 279 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

I don't really have a favorite word, but I particularly like 'cornucopia' and 'crepuscular'. There are more, but those are the only two I can think of at the moment.

#24 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Both my gf and sister-in-law despise that word

Which is exactly why I listed it ;)

#25 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards