Teacher affairs with students

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 Riku

Riku
  • 72 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'm a teacher. Shit like this is disgusting, and half the comments on this thread are disgusting.

#27 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'm a teacher. Shit like this is disgusting, and half the comments on this thread are disgusting.

It's the internet. It's a disgusting place.

Edited by talbs, 23 October 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#28 Oninna

Oninna
  • 299 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

Yeah people who throw around the term rape like its nothing or any form of sexual misconduct is one of the most heinous crimes devalue the word have no clue about the justice system.

It's an abuse of authority and she shouldn't be teaching, but it's not rape it any shape or form.

This is my opinion on the matter. Even though it's not the law, 16 is old enough for consent, at least to me.

#29 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

This is my opinion on the matter. Even though it's not the law, 16 is old enough for consent, at least to me.

...that's nice, wanna back that opinion up in some way?

#30 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

I don't think we have appropriate age of consent laws in the United States, so these issues are not so black and white. Like Waser said, 16 is what you'll see globally. But whatever, punish one party and let the other brag about it. Sounds like a good bureaucracy at work.

#31 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

So what if the sexual consent age was 16 like it is in some places?

If that was the case, then would you still have strong opinions about it? I've changed a lot since I was 18, should it be statutory rape until I turn 21? 25? 30?

At what point can we make the case that people aren't developed enough to make consenting decisions?

I understand that if I was 10, then yeah that's rape because you don't have the understanding of what is going on and the consensual, but I think the argument goes both ways in terms of understanding. 

#32 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

How much of a problem is it if the kid is of the age of consent? Are people still super pissed? Or does 1 month difference make people calm down?

#33 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

..I don't think you know what an opinion is.

How much of a problem is it if the kid is of the age of consent? Are people still super pissed? Or does 1 month difference make people calm down?

Yea it's still an abuse of postion.

#34 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

..I don't think you know what an opinion is.

I'm just accustomed to people backing up what they say in a debate. Otherwise it's somewhat csb.

#35 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

The teacher is in a position of power over him which automatically makes it inappropriate in my eyes. If I sent my kid to school and some teacher decided to prey on him and disrupt his education with this bullshit it would take the grace of holy mother Beyoncé to stop me from beating her ass. She's old enough to know better.

#36 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

If she's hot, I'm ok with it.

#37 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Gross. It's statutory rape no matter what the genders.. He's too young (in the US mind you) to consent and she's in a position of authority over him. This is why it's against school policy to fraternize with students, in college as well. It's the same in the workplace, most companies have a similar policy with bosses/workers because positions of authority can influence and take advantage of the person under them. 

I personally find it *really fucking stupid* that guys are like "lol where was she when i was 16 lol" so you want to have been raped and had your teacher fired from school and prosecuted and shunned by her peers just to have sex with her?? Not to mention how it messes with some of these boys psyche and they need therapy for their trust issues and sexual confusion. Lol yea sounds fun guys 

@Kat hit it right on the nose. Exactly what I was thinking.

#38 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hey man.

Don't knock it til you try it.

#39 Oninna

Oninna
  • 299 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

Having been a 16 year old myself once. It's just an opinion.

Edited by Oninna, 24 October 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#40 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

Having been a 16 year old myself once. It's just an opinion.

I can back up your opinion. I think the woman made a mistake considering the position she was in. (no pun intended) However apart from the fact that she was his teacher, some kids mature faster than others. When I was that age I had a full beard, strong mind, strong body and my sex drive was as high as seems possible. Back then many of the girls the same age were "too young" for me considering there level of maturity so it made more sense to go for the older ones. It make me wonder how many 16 year-olds would actually be traumatized by something like this and how many would just say to themselves "fucking score" and move on with life?  :lol2:

#41 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Probably the same amount that would get traumatised for life and needs years of therapy to count.

#42 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Probably the same amount that would get traumatised for life and needs years of therapy to count.

That's sad, the poor guy was hysteric about the issue.

#43 Jayqwelin

Jayqwelin
  • 14 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I don't think statutory rape charges should lead to a sentence no-tolerance because the late-teen years are really a grey area. People mature at different rates, and there are definitely sixteen-year-olds who know what they want. If I was the judge, I would drop the case if there was no evidence that her position in power affected his decision. I think it's somewhat similar to those cases where statutory rape charges are dropped between two teenagers because their ages are so similar, despite being underage. There's a big difference between a teacher and a peer, but I don't believe in absolutes and that just because one party is a teacher that sex between a pair necessarily has to be rape. 

#44 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

While the age of consent here is 16, I make exceptions for cases with authority figures. When there is such a large power imbalance it's an issue. Especially as teachers are also caregivers. They're not just in a position of power, but also a form of guardian. It makes me sick that people can't recognize that. Regardless of what the student wanted or expressed, the teacher is the adult, authority figure, holds the power, and is the caregiver. They have the moral and legal obligation.

#45 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

I don't think statutory rape charges should lead to a sentence no-tolerance because the late-teen years are really a grey area. People mature at different rates, and there are definitely sixteen-year-olds who know what they want. If I was the judge, I would drop the case if there was no evidence that her position in power affected his decision. I think it's somewhat similar to those cases where statutory rape charges are dropped between two teenagers because their ages are so similar, despite being underage. There's a big difference between a teacher and a peer, but I don't believe in absolutes and that just because one party is a teacher that sex between a pair necessarily has to be rape. 

That would negate the entire reason age of consent exists, as the older person could just go "But they were really mature for their age!" It's a hugely qualitative judgement that would cause a ton of trouble. And seriously? Teachers are in a huge position of power over their students, especially in the high school years where their grades decide what college they'll be able to get into. You really can't separate that from a situation like this.

#46 Jayqwelin

Jayqwelin
  • 14 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

That would negate the entire reason age of consent exists, as the older person could just go "But they were really mature for their age!" 

That's why there are courts to decide whether such a claim is reasonable, much like they decide if an insanity defence for a case of murder stands. 

It's a hugely qualitative judgement that would cause a ton of trouble. And seriously? Teachers are in a huge position of power over their students, especially in the high school years where their grades decide what college they'll be able to get into. You really can't separate that from a situation like this.

I still think there should be some leeway to allow the defendant to demonstrate that their position of power /did not/ affect the student's decision. How that would go about, I'm not quite sure, but I think it's fundamentally incorrect to blanket all such instances of student-teacher relationships as rape and a crime. I mean, couldn't it be possible for a student and a teacher to have a consensual relationship? 

If we argue that there's a legal or moral obligation to disallow relationships between student and teacher, that begs the question "for what purpose do we have these limitations"? What if there was a relationship that didn't violate anything other than being between a student and a teacher? And if such was the case, why should it be punished?

#47 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

I think you described it better than me. I've known a handful of people who had consensual "relationships" with teachers but have only heard of one who was "abused" and they were a female in college who chose those circumstances over reporting the issue or dropping the classes. If a persons teacher tried to force them into anything or make a threat to their grades I don't see why the student couldn't report the issue to local police, school board, lawyers etc.

#48 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

I think you described it better than me. I've known a handful of people who had consensual "relationships" with teachers but have only heard of one who was "abused" and they were a female in college who chose those circumstances over reporting the issue or dropping the classes. If a persons teacher tried to force them into anything or make a threat to their grades I don't see why the student couldn't report the issue to local police, school board, lawyers etc.

As much as I am inclined to agree with you on this one, it isn't as simple as telling the school administration that you have been having sex with your teacher. Your face is going t obe all over the news for having had sex with your teacher. People will be talking about you (Whether saying "Nice bro!" or "You sick bastard" or "You poor thing) when you really don't want the attention (for that reason). 

#49 Tirasa

Tirasa
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

You're free to petition to change AoC Laws and whatnot. Until then, I'm against 'em. I'd bother point out the male/female double standard when it comes to statutory rape, but I'm certain the debate has popped up before elsewhere.

She deserves to lose her job most certainly, and charged as the law is applicable.

#50 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:15 AM

As much as I am inclined to agree with you on this one, it isn't as simple as telling the school administration that you have been having sex with your teacher. Your face is going t obe all over the news for having had sex with your teacher. People will be talking about you (Whether saying "Nice bro!" or "You sick bastard" or "You poor thing) when you really don't want the attention (for that reason). 

I believe you read my post wrong. I was trying to say that if a persons teacher does make attempts to lead them to anything sexual they have the option of reporting the teacher or rejecting sexual requests before an issue occurs. For example, say a teacher tries to convince a student that they will fail them if they don't have sex. The student doesn't have to comply to having sex with the teacher. They'd probably be better off speaking to the school board, etc about the issue so that they can take whatever steps are necessary to protect the student.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users