• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#26 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

Ad fill rate outside of the U.S. is pretty much 0%.

Smartie pants is in the house. 

#27 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Do you live in a bubble?

Do you like Taylor Swift?  :lol2:

#28 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Do you like Taylor Swift?  :lol2:

Why are you laughing? Is this a joke? 

#29 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

I read the first 4 posts... sorry. I am a terrible forum member. Anyway, I agree with most people so far. You know how many bands I have found due to pandora? And yes, while I dont typically pay for music, I will still go to concerts, buy shirts/stickers etc. And it is hard for me to feel bad for Taylor Swift, because, how much money does she make for how little effort actually goes in to making one of her albums? Ugh. Gimme a break tay tay

#30 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Spotify's CEO posted a blog post on their website defending the company. He states in it that Spotify has paid "more than two billion dollars to labels, publishers and collecting societies for distribution to songwriters and recording artists." He goes on to debunk some of the free streaming myths. 

It was a good read and it was nice to hear from the company about the issue Taylor Swift brought up.  How do you guys feel about this?

At the risk of pissing people off, I found it to be a great read as well, and I especially like the final paragraph of the post.

I'm not going to get wound up or started in on being peeved by the fact that everybody expects something for free these days (hey...money has to come from SOMEWHERE, it's not some nebulous and bottomless pocket sitting in the pixie dust-sprinkled nether), but hey I also do acknowledge that I'm an old fart and may perhaps view some things from a significantly different perspective given said old-fartedness. :p

#31 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

At the risk of pissing people off, I found it to be a great read as well, and I especially like the final paragraph of the post.

I'm not going to get wound up or started in on being peeved by the fact that everybody expects something for free these days (hey...money has to come from SOMEWHERE, it's not some nebulous and bottomless pocket sitting in the pixie dust-sprinkled nether), but hey I also do acknowledge that I'm an old fart and may perhaps view some things from a significantly different perspective given said old-fartedness. :p

I agree that we as a society expect too much for free. But that is why I am fine with Pandora's advertisements. Gotta make the cash money somehow. But yes, I also use adblock, and am frustrated every time a use a computer that doesnt. But lets not talk about that...

#32 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

I read the first 4 posts... sorry. I am a terrible forum member. Anyway, I agree with most people so far. You know how many bands I have found due to pandora? And yes, while I dont typically pay for music, I will still go to concerts, buy shirts/stickers etc. And it is hard for me to feel bad for Taylor Swift, because, how much money does she make for how little effort actually goes in to making one of her albums? Ugh. Gimme a break tay tay

I am a paying member of Pandora...'cause that's just my style. As for Taylor Swift, I am no fan of hers (the music just doesn't grab me), but in no way do I presume to know what her work entails. I think all fields of work have aspects that unless one is in the thick of it, would not be easily accomplished by any of us NOT in the thick of it.

Just my 2 (or perhaps 3.5) cents.

#33 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

Why are you laughing? Is this a joke?

Expecting everyone to know the lifestyle details and history of another American corporate PPP sensation is a little ignorant.

#34 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

Expecting everyone to know the lifestyle details and history of another American corporate PPP sensation is a little ignorant.

That has nothing to do with laughing at someone potentially liking Taylor Swift.

If you want to direct something at me you can @ tag me and not quote something that isn't pointed at you at all. 

Please, thank you, step off. 

#35 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Anyways, back on topic. Spotify pays 70% of its revenues back to the artists, which is a HUGE amount.. Asking them to give even more is a really big stretch. The reason why even successful artists don't get too much is because of the screwed up label companies, which get the majority of the money. Taylor should be working to fix the label company contracts, not fighting with Spotify. Spotify is already doing everything it can do to give back to artists.

BOOM! This pretty much resolves this whole thread. Next topic... go.

#36 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:48 AM

That has nothing to do with laughing at someone potentially liking Taylor Swift.

If you want to direct something at me you can @ tag me and not quote something that isn't pointed at you at all.

Please, thank you, step off.

Pretty sure that's the whole point of quoting.

#37 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

Commenting on the lifestyle and history of Taylor Swift when you have no knowledge of her lifestyle and history is a little ignorant.

Expecting everyone to listen to anything you say after talking to you beyond 15 minutes is a little ignorant.

@masxed she's alright. I definitely prefer her older music. I have only listened to two of her new songs since they are not available streaming.

Pretty sure that's the whole point of quoting.

You don't get notified when someone quotes you. Is there a setting you can use to get quote notifications?

#38 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:50 AM

Commenting on the lifestyle and history of Taylor Swift when you have no knowledge of her lifestyle and history is a little ignorant.

Expecting everyone to listen to anything you say after talking to you beyond 15 minutes is a little ignorant.

You don't get notified when someone quotes you. Is there a setting you can use to get quote notifications?

There's always the ignore option.

#39 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

It's difficult to ignore you on Tinychat when you incessantly make snide remarks and uneducated comments on the state of affairs in the U.S..

#40 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

It's difficult to ignore you on Tinychat when you incessantly make snide remarks and uneducated comments on the state of affairs in the U.S..

Good thing this thread isn't about that.  :rolleyes:

#41 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

Good thing this thread isn't about that.  :rolleyes:

Nope. It's about how he made a comment about Taylor Swift and then fled to a defense of "I shouldn't be expected to know her lifestyle/details" after being told he was totally wrong about her. ^_^

#42 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

Why would I want to ignore something that is so entertaining to me. 

I'm fascinated how it's alright for you to make comments about Taylor Swift like about her ability to buy a home but I'm not allowed to.

People can back the heck off. 

She is the only artist in 2014 to sell a million albums.

She did that in one week where others have had the entire year.

Pretty certain that someone who is the only person to achieve something considered a huge milestone in the music industry is doing something right. 

People are salty because they wish they could be in her position and I'd love to see how much the other people here give back if they're in her spot.

Just because her version of giving to her fans and to the community isn't allowing people to stream her music which FYI you can still stream her music just not on spotify (Her Vevo and YT channel are very valid places) does mean anything.

If you want to make rude remarks about her, especially her rise to fame, then be prepared to talk about her. If you make even one small remark about someones lifestyle in a debate/conversation/argument you're opening the door to discuss any aspect of that. Logical conversation and argumentation 101. I would of thought you would know that since it's been heavily developed by the legal system in your superior country. :)

Edit: Probably should have proof-read this but I can't be bothered at all. I'm over this and peoples disdain for educating themselves to have a an actual discussion but continuing to make comments about it. I'm going back to Naboo mofo's. 

Edited by Padme, 14 November 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#43 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

Nope. It's about how he made a comment about Taylor Swift and then fled to a defense of "I shouldn't be expected to know her lifestyle/details" after being told he was totally wrong about her. ^_^

Okay? So that makes it okay to make rude remarks that are completely unrelated to the topic at hand? No. Stay on topic or don't post in here. 

Just because her version of giving to her fans and to the community isn't allowing people to stream her music which FYI you can still stream her music just not on spotify (Her Vevo and YT channel are very valid places) does mean anything.

I don't mind that she doesn't want to have her music on Spotify. I just don't like that she insulted a company that is already giving so much of its profits back to the music industry. If you don't want people to stream your music on Spotify then okay, cool, but don't act like Spotify is ruining the value of music. 

#44 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

I don't mind that she doesn't want to have her music on Spotify. I just don't like that she insulted a company that is already giving so much of its profits back to the music industry. If you don't want people to stream your music on Spotify then okay, cool, but don't act like Spotify is ruining the value of music. 

I don't know Taylor is claiming she's recieved different compensation numbers than what Spotify is claiming. I want to see pay cheques and stuff. Because if they paid her what they recently claimed to of paid her for one month of streaming then... she is an idiot for pulling her library of music and she is now starting to pull all of the artists on her labels music from spotify.

However, I don't see why she would lie but I can very much see why they would fudge their numbers.

#45 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

Edit: Probably should have proof-read this but I can't be bothered at all. I'm over this and peoples disdain for educating themselves to have a an actual discussion but continuing to make comments about it. I'm going back to Naboo mofo's. 

It hurts my soul that you think being educated is knowing about Taylor Swift.

#46 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:26 AM

It hurts my soul that you'd misinterpret a sentence.

#47 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

I don't think that at all. What I'm saying is if you make a comment about ANYTHING in a conversation you are opening that area up for discussion. If you make a comment about something you are not educated on, you should educate yourself on the matter before continuing to talk about it. I think that's pretty standard.

If I make a comment about Big Pharma but am really a tumblr educated hippy and only know unbased 'facts' then I am opening myself up for people who are educated on the matter to rip me apart on the subject. 

#48 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

@rwmurrayVT You can get notifications from quotes! Go in your settings, Under notifications, you can check a box to receive notifications from being quoted. Tbh this should be enabled by default as getting notified is really useful.

Rep for you Nitro. I never thought I'd say that.

Thank you for teaching me your ways. 

I can see the light now.

#49 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:32 AM

It hurts my soul that you'd misinterpret a sentence.

Wasn't sure that one liner was open for interpretation.

I don't think that at all. What I'm saying is if you make a comment about ANYTHING in a conversation you are opening that area up for discussion. If you make a comment about something you are not educated on, you should educate yourself on the matter before continuing to talk about it. I think that's pretty standard.

If I make a comment about Big Pharma but am really a tumblr educated hippy and only know unbased 'facts' then I am opening myself up for people who are educated on the matter to rip me apart on the subject. 

Okay @ Frizzle , let's go read on Taylor Swift and question everything we know about her shittiness because we are not 'educated' enough to post about her.

Also, in all seriousness, this debate was about Spotify and her relation to it. In all fairness, I don't think us not knowing about all her achievements that you went on about is at all relevant to the topic. So I was under the impression that as long as you know the general idea of her and what Spotify is, you are fully qualified to post in this topic, preferably without a teenage girl getting upset with you.

#50 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

I don't know Taylor is claiming she's recieved different compensation numbers than what Spotify is claiming. I want to see pay cheques and stuff. Because if they paid her what they recently claimed to of paid her for one month of streaming then... she is an idiot for pulling her library of music and she is now starting to pull all of the artists on her labels music from spotify.

However, I don't see why she would lie but I can very much see why they would fudge their numbers.

Either way, she's already a millionaire. Seems a bit greedy to be already be making a ton of money and then not make as much as you want to from a free streaming service that gives 70% of its profits back to the music industry and say, "Wah. I don't get enough. I'm taking my music off of here." 

She said she made $500,000 from them in the past year. Even if Spotify isn't telling the truth, how is $500,000 a bad thing? She didn't have a new album out. It's not crazy to think that when you don't have any new music coming out then you probably won't make as much money as you would when you do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users