cds albums whathaveyou spotify

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#151 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

So. Streaming (Pandora/spotify) vs Torrents? Are either ethical and why?

#152 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

55307645.jpg'

TAYLOR SWIFT'S MUSIC <3

#153 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

So. Streaming (Pandora/spotify) vs Torrents? Are either ethical and why?

Pandora pays the respective record company a set amount for each time a song is played.

How do they get that money? Those ads you listen to ever so often. ;)

Spotify pays royalties.

They pay for the right to distribute music.

You've done nothing but throw around insults and used nasty names since the beginning.

Both of ya'll are being pretty nasty. lmao

#154 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

Does spotify do adds? Legit question. I know you can pay for either spotify/pandora. But I have never used spotify. 

#155 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

Does spotify do adds? Legit question. I know you can pay for either spotify/pandora. But I have never used spotify. 

The unpaid version of spotify makes you listen to adds similar to pandora. The paid version is ad free.

#156 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

Nor do I.

Here is a link talking about how much they pay however.

#157 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

Both of ya'll are being pretty nasty. lmao

That's why I said the beginning.

Yes, but the fill rate in countries outside of the United States is very low. You will not hear many ads. Similarly you will not see many ads on video streaming services such as YouTube and Twitch.TV.

#158 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yes, but the fill rate in countries outside of the United States is very low. You will not hear many ads. Similarly you will not see many ads on video streaming services such as YouTube and Twitch.TV.

Point being they pay.

#159 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

You've done nothing but throw around insults and used nasty names since the beginning.

You've proven your intellect on the subject by suggesting salary caps, an (already existing) progressive tax, and that policy effective in smaller nations will be as effective in the U.S.. Interestingly enough each time I've brought up how insane you sound you've gone back on it. First by saying you meant more "liberally" in terms of salary cap by implementing an income above which you "will be taxed". Which led you into a progressive tax, which you apparently did not know existed in the U.S.. After which you couldn't acknowledge that the deep political divide in the U.S. is the reason nothing gets accomplished. All while simultaneously launching personal attacks and calling others names.

Well, to be fair, I didn't know it existed in the US because I'm in a foreign country remember? Or, maybe, you guys do such a poor job of implementing it that I guess it's easy to miss.

What do you even mean by 'gone back on it'? I've taken nothing back, I'm trying to keep up with you bouncing off the walls with your reasons. I find myself googling more useless shit during a debate with you than I have in my entire life. You just tried to get me to watch a video 'specifically about business'. I'm at a loss as to what to say if you think people having different political opinions should even effect something like this. And so you're saying the countries that have this working well don't have people with different opinions? They all don't have their own opinions? Or is that only in US, the land of the free?

If you're so offended by speaking to me, then stop. You can't keep a tangible thought and you're unintelligent. You try to throw in random facts and things that you know about to try to sound informed, but they are not relevant and are just fillers for your posts.

#160 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

Point being they pay.

Yes, they pay per play. That's why the selection is also limited in countries outside of the United States. The same goes for video streaming services. I am not sure why Netflix/HBOGO have different selections/availability in other countries. I guess they don't have the members in other countries to afford the content. They pay upfront no matter the plays AFAIK. 

#161 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

This is why I think it is Stupid that T-swift is pulling her music. They get paid (honestly, pretty generously) for allowing their music to be streamed...

#162 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Well, to be fair, I didn't know it existed in the US because I'm in a foreign country remember? Or, maybe, you guys do such a poor job of implementing it that I guess it's easy to miss.

What do you even mean by 'gone back on it'? I've taken nothing back, I'm trying to keep up with you bouncing off the walls with your reasons. I find myself googling more useless shit during a debate with you than I have in my entire life. You just tried to get me to watch a video 'specifically about business'. I'm at a loss as to what to say if you think people having different political opinions should even effect something like this. And so you're saying the countries that have this working well don't have people with different opinions? They all don't have their own opinions? Or is that only in US, the land of the free?

If you're so offended by speaking to me, then stop. You can't keep a tangible thought and you're unintelligent. You try to throw in random facts and things that you know about to try to sound informed, but they are not relevant and are just fillers for your posts.

Filthy communist.

This is why I think it is Stupid that T-swift is pulling her music. They get paid (honestly, pretty generously) for allowing their music to be streamed...

It wasn't enough for her liking I suppose.

She (her record people) has distribution rights for her music. She can control who gets it and who doesn't.

#163 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

You just tried to get me to watch a video 'specifically about business'. I'm at a loss as to what to say if you think people having different political opinions should even effect something like this.

It actually wasn't about business, I'm not sure where he got that. It was more about interpersonal relation caps.

#164 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

It wasn't enough for her liking I suppose.

She (her record people) has distribution rights for her music. She can control who gets it and who doesn't.

I totally understand her legal rights. I just don't get it. We should start slut shaming her. Seems like the right thing to do at this point.

#165 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

That video directly relates community size to problem solving and close knit communities. 

You don't see how differing political opinions relate to economic policy?

You live outside of the U.S. Your opinion on American politics is wrong. That's all there is to it. If you want to learn more about the gridlock in U.S. politics feel free to tune into NPR. The issue is not just people of differing opinions. It's the fact it boils down to two major players in the United States that are directly opposite on a lot of key social and economic issues. You have people that are all over the place ideologically forced to choose between two options. Those leaders on the federal level are locked to a party line. They appeal to their local voters, but if they want to stay in office or win any political favors they are locked in line.

Another fun tidbit, I'm far from uneducated and unintelligent.  

Spoiler

Edited by rwmurrayVT, 14 November 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#166 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

Ahh the perils and elitism of the upper middle class.

(Also, attending a uni doesn't make you intelligent but congrats for thinking that)

#167 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:07 AM

I, for one, would like to see more condescending, irrelevant rants on American politics.

#168 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

I, for one, would like to see more condescending, irrelevant rants on American politics.

Your post is as irrelevant as the rants.

#169 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

Your post is as irrelevant as the rants.

Good.

#170 LostinSpace

LostinSpace
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

I finally got a chance to read this topic, and discovered the joy of Spotify.  Until yesterday I was totally clueless about this wonderful site.  I have used Pandora, but I don't really like that site much.  

About this topic specifically...  I would never buy an artist's music without knowing I liked it first.  I don't go to concerts for artists I am not familiar with.  I don't buy t-shirts from artists I have never heard of.  Streaming sites, radio, etc, allow people to hear, like, and want the music.  I think that anyone pulling their music from sites like this are only hurting themselves in the long run, but it is certainly their choice to do.

I also don't see streaming sites like Spotify as "free" music.  The sites are paid for by sponsors, or by customers buying premium services.  If someone chooses not to buy premium, they listen to the ads, and end up supporting the sponsors directly.     

#171 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

Wasn't there a huge link between successful shows profiting from torrents as it got people invested into the series? I'm sure merchandising etc is more profitable and torrenting and streaming increase that links.

(I'm certain I saw source that suggested 7 million people torrented season 4 of GOT).

#172 LostinSpace

LostinSpace
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Wasn't there a huge link between successful shows profiting from torrents as it got people invested into the series? I'm sure merchandising etc is more profitable and torrenting and streaming increase that links.

(I'm certain I saw source that suggested 7 million people torrented season 4 of GOT).

I torrented Season 3 GoT.  And the GoT series is one of the fews DVDs I have bothered to buy in a few years.  Although I haven't looked for, or seen any research to back up your suggestion, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  

#173 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

What this thread needs is a little happy happy joy joy UNICORN FART power! :p

unifarts.png1.jpg

#174 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

I don't care that taylor swift pulled her music because I don't listen to her however I buy albums that are worth buying. I bought Beyonces album because it was the shit, I bought broke with expensive taste after listening to a free stream and hearing how amazing and fresh the content was. I like to listen to an album before I decide to buy it it's not my fault most of the albums coming out are shitty.

#175 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hmmm.... Do western/big-name artists release samples of their albums before they're available? Do music stores have those little booths where you can put the headphones on and listen to the album and shit anymore? Elin brought it up earlier and I haven't seen them in a while.... But pretty much every indie artist in Japan puts up samples of their albums up on Soundcloud/Youtube and other video sites/sample mp3s to download from their site before selling anything o.o It's incredibly handy!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users