11 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:45 AM

POPULAR POST!

LUCIAN'S RAFFLE FOR CHARITY: JANUARY

In my line of work higher ups try to always encourage giving back to the community abroad or at home. I spend at least 1 hour a week doing charity or volunteer work. To be honest it's one of the most rewarding things I do each week.

In order to enter you must have a signed Letter of Appreciation from someone of a supervisor or managerial position.

What's an LoA(Letter of Appreciation) you ask?

Usually, when you are doing volunteer work that needs to be documented, a Letter of Appreciation will be given to you upon completing a task that was assigned to you or fullfilling a certain amount of time you pledged to volunteer for. If your charity or volunteer group doesn't usually hand out LoAs you can always ask and I'm sure they will be more than glad to write one up for you.

Never volunteered before? Don't know where to start?

There are always TONS of volunteer opportunities available all the time, any place, anywhere. Doing a little online research can help give you a push in the right direction. Websites like VolunteerMatch.org is a good place to start. For contestants from outside the U.S. I'm sure there are lots of ways to find volunteer work. Google is your friend.

How to choose what kind of volunteer work to do:

You can practically volunteer for anything! Whether it's working at a food drive, animal shelter, soup kitchen, mentoring others, tutoring students from a lower grade, help with building projects in your local neighborhood. Choose something that speaks to you or that you'd enjoy doing. If you don't like it the first time you can always move on to something else. Volunteering is a personal CHOICE. No one is making you do it.

How the raffle works:

Fitting volunteer work into your schedule can be extremely difficult so the raffle will  be open all month long. The winners will be announced on the first of the following month when the next raffle begins.

In order to enter you must submit a username tagged LoA(Letter of Appreciation) dated within the same month of the raffle. For example, if the raffle is being held in February, you have to volunteer in February.

How the winners are picked:

In order to rule out any biased picking this is how the winning LoAs will be drawn. I will print out card sized copies of the LoA which hav been entered, throw them into a hat, shake them up, and scatter them onto the floor. The first three cards that my dog picks up, in that order, will be chosen as the winners.

Entries Due: 31JAN15

Winner Accounced: 01FEB15

PRIZES:

The satisfaction of helping others. That's the main prize! But of course, there are Neopet related incentives.

FIRST PLACE:

The first place contestant will be able to choose ANY NC item that is currently stocked in the NC Mall gifted to an account of their choice.

SECOND PLACE:

npbag.png3m in pure or ETS(up to the winner)

THIRD PLACE:

npbag.png1m in pure or ETS(up to the winner)

HUGE DISCLAIMER:

I know this type of contest is prone to run into integrity issues with entries that can be fabricated. I will try my best to research every LoA and volunteer that is submitted in order to validate it. The real point of this is to encourage others to go out and lend a helping hand, aid someone in need, help feed one thousand cats in some animal shelter. If you want to FAKE helping others just so you can win some damn Neopoints, I think that's a punishment in itself to live with those kind of values. You need to get your priorities straight booboo.

#2 Wynd

Wynd
  • 397 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

This is a really nice raffle. :) Sadly I've never done volunteer work but soon next year I'll be working for a Charity Orchestra. Hope y'all have fun!

Edited by Wundy, 30 December 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#3 Epicurion

Epicurion
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

This is an awesome idea for a raffle :).  Wish I could enter, but I tend to avoid recognition for the things I do so I don't have a LoA to prove it.  Good luck to everyone else though!

#4 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

Loose this idea! Such a good message to spread to people - doing good can bring good back around to you. I'll do my best to enter!

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

I really love this idea! My EPR (Enlisted Performance Report) is due in January, and I'm a little bit behind on my community, and base volunteer work. Thank you for the reminder, and for starting up the contest.

#6 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

My EPR is due too. That's how I thought of this. haha

Edited by Lucian, 30 December 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

I already do volunteer work with girl guides once a week so I won't be signing up for anything else, it's a nice idea though.

#8 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

That still counts.^

#9 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

I feel like it is a great idea. But the letter may be harder to come by than anticipated. Where I work, supervisors are reluctant to do anything like this. But then again I do not volunteer as much as I did a couple years ago. I hope we get lots of entrants, although I do not think I will enter due to obvious reasons.

#10 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

Lol... does court-ordered community service count as volunteer work?

Not that I would put "filing paperwork at the courthouse" on my volunteering resume... I'm treating it more like an unpaid internship

#11 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

This is a really good idea, @Lucian, +rep!  :wub:

#12 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

This is a great idea! I haven't volunteered in a while but this is a reminder to do it again.

Feed your souls, peeps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users