VBA learning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hey Neos,

What would you recommend to learn VBA? At my job I use Excel and would love to incorporate VBA in my toolbox. Thanks for the responses.

#2 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

I would recommend not learning VBA.

#3 Nemecek

Nemecek
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

I would recommend not learning VBA.

lol, I hate VBA too. But if you're working strictly in excel it's a nice tool in order to manipulate data in special ways.

#4 data

data
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Forget learning a specific language.  Learn the fundamentals of computer science and then you can learn any language you please.

#5 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

Forget learning a specific language.  Learn the fundamentals of computer science and then you can learn any language you please.

I disagree, for those trying to teach themselves, picking a specific language and then learning the computer science from that particular language is easier. Anyone can read a book, but actually applying that knowledge is not as easy.

#6 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

They teach VBA to the accounting and finance majors at school. They all think they're badass. lol

#7 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

Well they are more badass than me for sure  :unsure:

#8 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

Well they are more badass than me for sure  :unsure:

In case you can't tell from these guys' tone, VBA is viewed in the programming world as a sort of shitty, non-programmers programming language. It can get some basic jobs done, but I don't think it's very powerful.

That said, I only know shell and bits and pieces of various languages. I actually learned quite a bit of VB at one point, as well as a decent understanding of python, but I've lost most of that knowledge through neglect. Of the two, python would be my choice. Visual basic is like playing in the sandbox by comparison.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:47 PM

In case you can't tell from these guys' tone, VBA is viewed in the programming world as a sort of shitty, non-programmers programming language. It can get some basic jobs done, but I don't think it's very powerful.

That said, I only know shell and bits and pieces of various languages. I actually learned quite a bit of VB at one point, as well as a decent understanding of python, but I've lost most of that knowledge through neglect. Of the two, python would be my choice. Visual basic is like playing in the sandbox by comparison.

I don't view it like that at all, if you have to use Excel then it's massively useful to know VBA because you can extend its capabilities beyond just the default functions of Excel (I use it all the time at work, it wouldn't be my language of choice for much else of course though because of its limitations). Programming is all about using the best tools for the job at hand, if you're working in Excel then VBA is likely to be that tool for the kind of tasks most people would be looking to do.

As for VBA, you can learn a lot from using the macro recorder and then looking at the code it produces in code editor. This is also an excellent resource:

http://www.cpearson.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users