Gender Identity

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1,654 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

You are going to need to state your premise more clearly.

It seems as though you arguing that by using terms like strait, gay, bi and trans, we, and I include the population at large as you have, are somehow feeding in to the negative stereotypes applied by minority voices. And that is starting to sound like victim shaming.

Try telling a black person that calling another black man 'negro' is the reason that the police shoot first and ask questions later.

I won't even get in to the origins of the word negro, and how it was reclaimed by black folk after it was used as a tool of oppression. Fag is making a comeback in much the same way for the LBGT community.

Nah, that wasn't my premise. I am not talking sexual orientation, I am talking gender identity. I heard an LGBTQI pannel, and a this person was saying "I always fit in with the girls in my family more, I would like being in the kitchen rather than watching football." I was thinking, so watching football=being a man? Cooking=being a woman? When did we go back to the 1950s?

#27 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3,173 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

I think the fact that we as a people have started to explore our gender identities beyond the social norms (that have been nothing but oppressive) is the beginning of gender roles being challenged. I don't think fluid gender identification really has any connection to stereotypical gender roles. If anything, it promotes a healthy choice to the effect of 'be whatever role you want to be despite your gender'. 

As far as what I would call someone who has decided not to be/identify with their biological gender? Whatever the hell they want. It seems to be a significant issue to the LGBT community (or whoever, for fucks sake I don't know) to be properly addressed and as such I would comply as to not offend anyone since it is such a simple request that obviously means a lot. To me personally though, they are just labels. Who cares? You are who you are on the inside, that's all that matters to me. I could literally not care less what sexuality or gender you identify with. If you're happy, then I'm happy. We're all people, we all deserve the same rights and respect despite what you enjoy being or who you enjoy being with. 

#28 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3,637 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

I think the fact that we as a people have started to explore our gender identities beyond the social norms (that have been nothing but oppressive) is the beginning of gender roles being challenged. I don't think fluid gender identification really has any connection to stereotypical gender roles. If anything, it promotes a healthy choice to the effect of 'be whatever role you want to be despite your gender'. 

As far as what I would call someone who has decided not to be/identify with their biological gender? Whatever the hell they want. It seems to be a significant issue to the LGBT community (or whoever, for fucks sake I don't know) to be properly addressed and as such I would comply as to not offend anyone since it is such a simple request that obviously means a lot. To me personally though, they are just labels. Who cares? You are who you are on the inside, that's all that matters to me. I could literally not care less what sexuality or gender you identify with. If you're happy, then I'm happy. We're all people, we all deserve the same rights and respect despite what you enjoy being or who you enjoy being with. 

But, but, it's weird.

See, when I don't understand why something is important (this is more in the context of social aspects/behaviour/feelings and not like higher maths and what not) I dismiss it as not important enough to change my behaviour for it.

While something may be unimportant to you, it might be extremely important to someone else. Even if you don't understand someone's pronoun preference (or why they care about it), is it really worth ignoring it and causing them distress? A smidgen of empathy never hurts, imo.

#29 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3,173 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

But, but, it's weird.

You're weird. :p

edit: excuse me, weird *

#30 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2,559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:03 AM

While something may be unimportant to you, it might be extremely important to someone else. Even if you don't understand someone's pronoun preference (or why they care about it), is it really worth ignoring it and causing them distress? A smidgen of empathy never hurts, imo.

It's not that I'm forcefully withholding empathy, I just literally don't have any when it comes to this kind of situation or pseudo-problem.

#31 psieks

psieks
  • 90 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

People can deviate from gender roles without being transgender. That's part of why I butt heads with members of the nonbinary spectrum so frequently on other forums. As a nonbinary person myself, I recognize that it's out of my own desire to fit into a physical mould with both male and female characteristics. I want to change my body in order to fit this image better. There are other people, however, who base their identity in whichever gender role they fit into more that day. There's a community of demiboys and demigirls who are X gender most of the time and Y gender a little less. They base this feeling on if they want to wear masculine/feminine clothes or participate in certain activities generally associated with a certain gender. It's pretty stupid. They took genderfluidity (which includes physical idea to be a certain sex at one time, and switch to another at other times) and turned it into a way of making everyone transgender. Note that I'm basing most of these ideas on social media dominated by 14-23 year olds. Most of them are pretty immature and think they know better than everyone who disagrees with them.

#32 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

If you got rocks you're a man, if you don't you're a female. Anything else is a blurr in the lines, you can't change who you are but you can deff change how you think. 

Edited by Bear, 07 June 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#33 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4,616 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

I think there is a difference between having a vagina/penis and being a man/woman/whatever.  I believe in fluidity of sexuality and gender.  Some people's fluids are a little less runny than others.

#34 NeoVix

NeoVix
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

I associate your gender based on your biological sex. Dress up, have a sex-change, whatever, you're still the sex you're born with and I feel that's okay.

So the fucking what if you internally feel like something else, go live out your dreams of being that - as long as you're not hurting anybody else.

But you're still your original biological sex.

Sorry for any of the otterkin we have here on the forum, if you feel offended or triggered then P.M. me and air your grievances, I'll ignore it in my inbox.

Exactly my thoughts on this too.

#35 MarieAntoinetta

MarieAntoinetta
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

Whatever floats your boat, man.

You can call yourself a she-pineapple for all I care. Just don't expect me to also go by she-pineapple.

#36 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Whatever floats your boat, man.

You can call yourself a she-pineapple for all I care. Just don't expect me to also go by she-pineapple.

But don't expect me to call you that! Transgender is the only group that asks for us to do something from them whereas gay people can just happily be gay - transgender people need other people to validate their own gender issues ( My own opinion ).  If you look like a girl, talk like a girl, walk like a girl(? idk) then I will call you a girl! Same with boys,. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users