Quantcast

Photo

Do you tip?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 Urbex

Urbex
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this user.

• 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

So where does the percentages come from? Why do you arbitrarily decide on that number?

Surely the cost of the meal doesn't correlate to the amount of effort they've put in?

Surely rewarding bad behaviour and bad service is contradictory?

This is how I feel. I don't tip bad wait staff because that only encourages their bad behavior and effort. How do they know that they would've gotten 20% from me if they performed better? Others have said they tip 10% for good waiting so maybe the bad waiter/waitress will think they did good?

I agree with your middle point too. Just because I ordered a more expensive meal or less expensive meal, you should get a better/worse tip for the same service? The whole system doesn't make sense.

#52 philomel

philomel
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

I live in the US, so of course I tip. I don't understand why some Americans are saying that they don't. I tip about 33%, normally... Today I tipped a manicurist 28%. She didn't do a great job, but she was nice. If one doesn't agree with the system, then why is one using services at a place where staff wages are minimal and tipping is expected?

#53 Rose

Rose
  • 24 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:29 AM

In NZ, we don't tip at all, would be really weird thing to do :p Although I bet it does happen in fancy restaurants but it's really a rare thing to do here.

But we get a good minimum wage so that's probably why. I've heard it's really offensive to not tip in America though.

#54 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

In NZ, we don't tip at all, would be really weird thing to do :p Although I bet it does happen in fancy restaurants but it's really a rare thing to do here.

But we get a good minimum wage so that's probably why. I've heard it's really offensive to not tip in America though.

I wouldn't say offensive, just incredibly rude. The only reason I would never tip someone would be because the service was terrible. Got the order wrong, never stopped to ask if I needed anything, never filled up my water if it was empty, the server was just plain rude, the order took far longer than would be considered normal to appear before me (which may not be the servers fault but I was at a restaurant once where the order was ready in  time, but the server never picked it up, it just sat there getting cold and then the server gave it to us cold)...all of those things in a combo and maybe some others I can't think of would be the only reason I would never tip. The reason it's considered very rude here in the US not to tip is because of our minimum wage laws. Servers make about $2.13 or so per hour because the companies said that the tips would make up the other $5 and 12 cents and raise the servers wages to the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. So when you don't tip, the servers hourly wage can be below the federal minimum wage and they're pretty much working for nothing. 

#55 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

I just never see how someone being underpaid is my issue?

I've had a 5 year pay freeze, a 5% increase in pension and a gradually bigger workload. Would you guys tip a cop if helped you out?

#56 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

I've had a 5 year pay freeze, a 5% increase in pension and a gradually bigger workload. Would you guys tip a cop if helped you out?

I don't think it's specifically anyone's issue, but a societal issue, at least where waitstaff and service industry employees are being underpaid. So, primarily in the U.S. - it just seems unethical and wrong, in my opinion.

#57 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

In my state servers get paid minimum wage. I can only think of 1 occasion when I didn't tip. Service was terrible. If it is bad, I will tip less than 10%. It is silly to expect to get paid for doing an incredibly shitty job. I get that when people are busy, they can't do everything for you. But, my wive served tables and averaged about $20/hr, which is ridiculous money for a job that literally requires no education or skills whatsoever. So, I don't feel bad stiffing someone for doing their job terribly. 

#58 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

But you were still making more than $3 an hour. No one can reasonably live off base wage in some states. In California waiters make minimum wage plus tips but in a lot of states they don't and if they don't make up the money in tips they get fired.

#59 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

I tip (in US).  I just consider it a part of the expense of eating out. But yeah, if service was bad, I just wouldn't tip at all.

#60 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

But you were still making more than $3 an hour. No one can reasonably live off base wage in some states. In California waiters make minimum wage plus tips but in a lot of states they don't and if they don't make up the money in tips they get fired.

Then it's a state/federal issue. Every person deserves a living wage and it needs to be pushed through the government, but I fail to see how that's an individual's issue.

Luckily minimum wage here is around $20,000 (to rise to around $22,000 by 2020), which is why most Europeans/Brits don't tip.

#61 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Then it's a state/federal issue. Every person deserves a living wage and it needs to be pushed through the government, but I fail to see how that's an individual's issue.

Luckily minimum wage here is around $20,000 (to rise to around $22,000 by 2020), which is why most Europeans/Brits don't tip.

I agree with you - I don't think it should be our problem. That being said, I think most people feel guilty when they don't tip.  Tipping has become (somewhat) of a "status" thing as well.

I tip because it's the norm.  Call me a sheep. Baaaa

#62 Ubers

Ubers
  • Banned from trading: Do not trade with this member!

• 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

I always tip. I think of if I was a waiter I would appreciate a tip for good service.

#63 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

I actually had some time in my ife where I struggled with the logic, ethics, and rationale in this, even though we don't tip in my country at all. I was considering, if Ilived all my life in the US instead, would I and should I tip?

Nowadays I just figured that I should just follow the culture if I went to the US and to a place where tipping would both be mandatory, and be factored in into the pay of the servers. Nope, I don't think I owe it to them to ensure they make a "fair wage" or something. Nope, I might not give much, or if it is bad enough any at all, if the service is really bad of course. But I think, if it's basically implicitly mandatory to give tips, then it is probably just a convention or a part of the thing, like paying a service charge y'know. So long as it was not too exorbitant or unreasonable I'd prob just go with it or so.

#64 Sleepcharm

Sleepcharm
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

I tip, even though I'm against it as there's waiters who are literally depending on faking a smile since their boss wants to cut some corners.

It's just a form of respect.

#65 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

I would if you made $2 an hour and were useful.

#66 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

I would if you made $2 an hour and were useful.

Again, that's not the customers priority. The fact that Americans can stand for corporate slavery is frankly, absurd.

#67 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:18 AM

nah don't tip here in Australia

most of the service you get is pretty awful. I hate when waiters linger around and watch you eat your food and ask you if you need anything every 5 minutes... and that's all they do here.

I only 'tip' when the change is like 5c or something HAHAH I'm horrible.

Plus I pay on card almost always and they don't have an automatic tip system included here.

When I was in Thailand I always told them to keep the change. Not only did I not want to have any coins, but the service was actually pretty lovely wherever we went.

#68 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

We are used to tip here. But we only tip if the service was decent.

And we tip the 10%

Edited by HiMyNameIsNick, 07 April 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#69 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

Again, that's not the customers priority. The fact that Americans can stand for corporate slavery is frankly, absurd.

It is, but why should we punish waitstaff for what their employers' regulations?

#70 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

Yes honestly if you don't tip you are an asshole and shouldn't go out to a restaurant and eat.

#71 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

It is, but why should we punish waitstaff for what their employers' regulations?

Because it punishes me to pay more?

#72 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

Because it punishes me to pay more?

That's not entirely unreasonable. But it's not conducive. What can we do to fix this system? So many people agree it's fucked up here and want to ensure waitstaff get paid a living wage (and others). 

#73 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

some places pay their servers above minimum wage, and don't allow tips (my state doesn't allow employees to get tips if they earn above min wage). But waitstaff wouldn't like that, bc $10/hr < $20/hr ($5/hr base + $15/hr tips)

#74 firedrops

firedrops
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:26 AM

We don't really tip here in Australia cause minimum wage is like at least $12 an hr for below 18, and like $16 if you're over.

So, it's not unusual that people don't. I think it's got to do with the culture too.

#75 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Yes honestly if you don't tip you are an asshole and shouldn't go out to a restaurant and eat.

Then let me tip the chef that made my delicious meal and not the snarky waitress that made dumb observations about my meal and drink choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users