Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...e-21/index.html

What do you guys think about this?

#2 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

I think it's stupid. Makes more sense to lower the drinking age rather than a higher age to buy tobacco

#3 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

That's stupid.

#4 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

It's like none of you bothered to read the article and came to just spout your uneducated opinions.

I'll do it too.

I think it's good for San Fran because health and shit.

#5 Wynd

Wynd
  • 397 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

I personally think it's good because with a heightened age limit, it will be less likely for teens to grow an addiction on it (as stated from the article.) Though raising the age limit most likely won't stop the determined teens, it will do a lot more to discourage the likeliness to smoke. My family is a huge smoking family (excluding my brother and I), so naturally I'm around smokers 24/7. I've never liked smokers because some seem to just hate abiding by area restrictions. Regardless, I think the new limit will bring a little more time to the curious to make a wiser decision. Do what you want with your life, but like I, some would like to live cancer risk-free. 

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

Good idea, I think, if it can cut down on premature deaths from smoking during pregnancy by teen moms. You might argue those people aren't responsible enough to have children anyway, but that's a debate for another day.

In general, I'm in favor of laws enacted to improve people's health, although I've never bought a carton of cigarettes so I might be biased. 

Kids really aren't developed enough to make these kinds of decisions, even at 18. If at 21 they want to start smoking, all they did was prolong their lives a few years. 

And of course, if you're 18 and really want cigs, it won't be hard to get them. Ask any freshman in college how hard it is to get alcohol. 

I think it's stupid. Makes more sense to lower the driving age rather than a higher age to buy tobacco

What does one have to do with the other? And why would you want to lower the driving age?

#7 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

It makes sense to me considering you are unable to purchase alcohol there <21 why should tobacco be any different?

#8 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

It seems logical. In high school it was nearly impossible to get alcohol. It was easier to get weed, cigarettes, and basically every single drug out there than it was to get alcohol. Seniors who were age 18 sold their cigarettes to freshman which effectively made the smoking age 13. The majority of older siblings and cool friends who were 21 were moved away to college or had no interest in hanging out with high school children.

#9 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

If you can vote, you can smoke. It's a ridiculously stupid law and I thought America was based on freedom.

If someone can create life, get married, join the army, fly 4000 miles across the world, shoot a bunch of brown kids, he should be able to have a smoke and beer afterwards.

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

If you can vote, you can smoke. It's a ridiculously stupid law and I thought America was based on freedom.

If someone can create life, get married, join the army, fly 4000 miles across the world, shoot a bunch of brown kids, he should be able to have a smoke and beer afterwards.

We say exactly that about underage drinking. If you're willing to put your life on the line for your country, then you should be able to: smoke, drink, sleep with hookers, etc.

#11 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

Hawaii did this last year, bunch of older people seemed to make a fuss about it.

No one seems to give a shit now, it seems.

#12 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

LMAO auto correct! I meant drinking
What does one have to do with the other? And why would you want to lower the driving age?

LMAO auto correct! I meant drinking

#13 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

I'm still waiting for America to legalize my illegal butt implants.

#14 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

I think taxing the fuck out of cigarettes is a much better solution.

#15 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

I think it might make those 18 year olds that want to smoke to do it anyway, because wrong things are cool or something. It might have the opposite effect lol

I'm glad people are smoking less here, because is very annoying to have people smoking around you. My mom used to smoke, but she stopped 8 years ago, thankfully.

#16 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

What's the penalty if you get caught underage? A fine? And if you keep doing it, is it jail time? We don't need to be throwing more kids in jail. I like that the age was raised, but it's not going to stop those who are determined to do smoke, and it could possibly incarcerate more kids.

I'd have to agree with this.

#17 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

What's the penalty if you get caught underage? A fine? And if you keep doing it, is it jail time? We don't need to be throwing more kids in jail. I like that the age was raised, but it's not going to stop those who are determined to do smoke, and it could possibly incarcerate more kids.

The worst thing is probably community service if it's just using/holding cigarettes. A 14 y/o student a few districts away got away with community service for having possession of weed. I can't imagine it being any worse for tobacco. 

#18 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

For real. And let's not give cops new reasons to pull you over for that "probable cause" bullshit, so they can rob you, aka civil asset seizure and leave you on the side of the road.

If someone wants to smoke, fine, as long as they aren't forcing kids to sit/stand around it (as in under 18), I don't have an issue. Personally, I think smoking is lame and smells disgusting. And frankly, makes your teeth disgusting. BUT, if you wanna smoke, I won't say anything. If you're not forcing people to be around you while you do it, like just whipping out a cig in a non-smoking area or whatever without asking if they mind first - namely kids, we're good. Hell, I'll even stand outside in zero degree weather with you to get a drag, because it's my choice and I don't mind. I've let friends smoke in my car with the windows down.

#19 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

It didn't say anything about smoking cigarettes, just purchasing them. No kid is gonna go to jail for smoking a cig. Pretty much the same with drinking.

The problem with that is that it punishes unfairly the people above the age limit. Might be more effective in curbing smoking, but there's almost no way a state's legislation could pass that and expect to be reelected. 

Also, I'd like to point out to the argument "kids who are determined to smoke will still smoke" yes, of course, (as I mentioned above about freshman drinking) but this helps to deter kids who are on the fence. Who might buy it because other kids are doing it, but now will have to wait, and by the time they reach 21 they will have outgrown that phase. 

#20 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

They aren't fucking kids! Try that condescending bullshit anywhere in Europe and you'll get you arse handed to you.

If you are 18 years old, you are an adult. There is no discussion. You can vote, you have your own personal responsibility, end of.

#21 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

They aren't fucking kids! Try that condescending bullshit anywhere in Europe and you'll get you arse handed to you.

If you are 18 years old, you are an adult. There is no discussion. You can vote, you have your own personal responsibility, end of.

Yes. This absolutely. I am out of rep. :c 

I get the health impact angle, I really do. But it's not my responsibility to try to get people to make healthy decisions in every day life. I can encourage it when I see it. But it is what it is. I don't think legislation to make it harder to get is going to decrease access or use (weed, heroin, meth anyone?). 

A person has the right to self-determination, once an adult, and honestly as kids there are cases they should have the right. If we don't trust "kids" as you all say, because their brain is too underdeveloped, to smoke, then why the fuck are they trusted to make the potentially life-threatening decision to join the military?

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:20 AM

The problem with that is that it punishes unfairly the people above the age limit. Might be more effective in curbing smoking, but there's almost no way a state's legislation could pass that and expect to be reelected. 

I don't see how it's any less fair than completely stopping a 20-year-old from buying cigarettes. And it's something is being done around the world (and to varying extents in U.S. states) already. Obviously, a large chunk of the increased tax revenue should be used to subsidize and promote smoking cessation programs.

Bonus: it would ensure that only the wealthy can afford to kill themselves and their families with tobacco.

#23 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

I'm not sure you know how addiction works.

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

I'm not sure you know how addiction works.

I'm a recovering nicotine addict. And I know that nicotine replacement therapy, varenicline, and bupropion work.

I don't think tobacco/nicotine should be illegal, but I think their price should account for their massive social cost.

#25 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

why stop at 21 tho? :/ they should raise the age to 65 so that only retired people can kill themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users