102 replies to this topic

#26 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

Fat != healthy

I have been fat but now I feel x100 times better. 

Oh, I just remembered. Someone here once posted in the confessions thread iirc that they "would never date someone fat because if they don't take care of themselves, they can't take care of someone else". Ugh.

That sounds a lot like me LMAO

But I believe I wasn't the one that posted that 

Edit:

On topic: I do believe fatphobia exists. Never heard about thin privileges.

Edited by HiMyNameIsNick, 29 May 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#27 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

That sounds a lot like me LMAO

But I believe I wasn't the one that posted that 

No, it wasn't you.

#28 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

There is such a thing as thin privilege and possibly fatphobia, not so much here because you very rarely see fat people. Chubby yes, but not fat fat. The ones that can't walk up one flight of stairs without gasping for air and almost collapsing. Those are also the ones that I wouldn't call healthy. But each to their own, it's their body and none of my concern unless I want to get somewhere quickly. But thin people can be bloody slow too.

On the other hand, people do look at me and say that I'm unhealthy because stick thin and I should eat more. In some cases this might be said with a good intention in mind, but most of the times it's just slightly on the rude side. Especially when it comes from people who'd get reeeally offended if you told them to stop eating so many fries. 

Tldr: Fuck everything, who cares, we'll be dead in 100 years. 

#29 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

Oh I agree 100%. 
I wasn't saying it wouldn't happen. My point was that fatphobia exists because unfortunately that type of exclusion does happen.

Sorry I'm really bad at conveying agreement lmao. I was just observing that I bet it had happened and I agreed with you. XD

#30 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Sorry I'm really bad at conveying agreement lmao. I was just observing that I bet it had happened and I agreed with you. XD

I'm really bad at translating my thoughts into words too lol It's okay :p I'm glad we're on the same page though.

#31 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

My weight has always been a bit of a rollercoaster, at some points in my life I've been really thin and in others I've been much heavier than I was comfortable with. I definitely noticed a significant difference in how people around me treated me between those two phases. People notice me more and even respect me more when I'm thinner, while when I was at my largest people would often dismiss my opinions and treat me rudely.

#32 JustinHoodMusic

JustinHoodMusic
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

My current profile picture is what I looked like when I was younger, about 6years ago. Since then, I have lost 150 pounds and my life is radically different. In addition to me being more confident, I do find that there are many people that treat me differently, especially my family. I find that I actually get much less sympathy from them now, to be honest. 

#33 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

My current profile picture is what I looked like when I was younger, about 6years ago. Since then, I have lost 150 pounds and my life is radically different. In addition to me being more confident, I do find that there are many people that treat me differently, especially my family. I find that I actually get much less sympathy from them now, to be honest. 

Interesting. Do you mind elaborating more? How do you get less sympathy, like in what context?

#34 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

Good for you for losing 150lbs though, that's amazing. 

#35 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

This kind of stuff amuses me. I have been really fat, and I've been a healthy weight. I am a little overweight now, but who cares. I can change, as can anyone else. I don't know that people treated me any differently based on my weight, but who cares, that's their prerogative. People could be a lot more productive if they weren't complaining about things on the internet; no one cares.

DISCLAIMER: "No one cares" is my feelings towards the blog/website. Not towards the views/opinions in this thread, or the topic in general.

#36 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

This kind of stuff amuses me. I have been really fat, and I've been a healthy weight. I am a little overweight now, but who cares. I can change, as can anyone else. I don't know that people treated me any differently based on my weight, but who cares, that's their prerogative. People could be a lot more productive if they weren't complaining about things on the internet; no one cares.

Discussing negative experiences isn't unproductive. Some people here obviously have experienced shaming because of their weight, or because they didn't weigh enough. Who are you to say it's unproductive or that no one cares?

#37 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Working in the industry of health and supplements and the like there definitely is fat phobia/thin privilege. We have overweight people coming in all the time and a couple of my newer coworkers (one who is small and thin, other is mildly overweight) are approached and I overhear some of the conversations they have with potential customers. Sometimes the advice they tell people is slightly off to completely wrong, but since they're not obese the customers intently listen to every word they say. I step in to correct them very often, thankfully they're learning now, but it's dangerous IMO. Especially when you have some companies who pay off commission telling these kinds of people what they want to hear and get them to buy massive amounts of products just because this person 'appears' to be healthier.

At the same time there is a rising trend of thin phobia as well, way more prevalent in guys.

I used to be a kinda chubby kid and I don't feel like I was treated differently. But, since I've been lifting I can definitely tell in my adult life that people tend to not try and cross me/favor me depending on the situation.

#38 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Discussing negative experiences isn't unproductive. Some people here obviously have experienced shaming because of their weight, or because they didn't weigh enough. Who are you to say it's unproductive or that no one cares?

Because I'm entitled to my own opinion?

#39 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Because I'm entitled to my own opinion?

So, you don't care. Say that, don't say 'no one cares' because you're incorrect. People here obviously do care.

#40 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

So, you don't care. Say that, don't say 'no one cares' because you're incorrect. People here obviously do care.

Tomato/Tomahto.

#41 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

Tomato/Tomahto.

Not even close. You're just complaining about people you perceive as whiners, whether it's about the blog or this thread. Whatever floats your goat though.

#42 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

Let's just say you are right about this, and this next statement isn't to you but to people in general who use the argument that being overweight isn't healthy:

Why is it anyone else's business how healthy someone is?
What does health have to do with how you're treated?
Just say it is an indication that you're unhealthy, would people who are fatphobic treat someone with cancer the same way?

That's what I don't understand about that whole argument.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I only said that weight is an indication of health. I NEVER said that getting treated differently because of your weight is justifiable. I never said discrimination is correct.

#43 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:15 PM

You're just complaining about people you perceive as whiners, whether it's about the blog or this thread. Whatever floats your goat though.

I'm not complaining. Just throwing in my two cents. They can post "woe is me" to their heart's content. But as you said, we can agree to disagree. We're all family at Codex.

#44 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:15 PM

Don't put words in my mouth.

I only said that weight is an indication of health. I NEVER said that getting treated differently because of your weight is justifiable. I never said discrimination is correct.

Did you miss the whole first part of my post where I said this isn't directed at you, but at people who do use that argument? :p

#45 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

Did you miss the whole first part of my post where I said this isn't directed at you, but at people who do use that argument? :p

Maybe not....  :unsure:

I'll roll with it though.

Body weight is a good indication of health HOWEVER it's effectiveness varies depending on the specific person we're talking about.

Weight-wise, I'm considered to be overweight BUT I do have a decent amount of muscle mass from working out. By looking at a number, you would say I'm unhealthy. By looking at my build however, you wouldn't be able to tell how "fat" I am.

#46 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

I tend to think less of obese people.

I try not to judge because we all have issues and we deal with them differently; some people eat their emotions. But at a certain point, you need to take control of your life. 

I would never treat a fat person differently in public because we're all people and it's really not worth the energy to be mean or negative, but in my mind, I'm wishing you would change your habits. 

#47 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

I try not to judge because we all have issues and we deal with them differently; some people eat their emotions. But at a certain point, you need to take control of your life. 

I would never treat a fat person differently in public because we're all people and it's really not worth the energy to be mean or negative, but in my mind, I'm wishing you would change your habits. 

Do you think your thinking less of obese people has an effect on your actions though? Just wondering. 

#48 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Maybe not....  :unsure:

I'll roll with it though.

Body weight is a good indication of health HOWEVER it's effectiveness varies depending on the specific person we're talking about.

Weight-wise, I'm considered to be overweight BUT I do have a decent amount of muscle mass from working out. By looking at a number, you would say I'm unhealthy. By looking at my build however, you wouldn't be able to tell how "fat" I am.

You're right that it can be an obvious indicator of health (for example: someone gains a lot of weight in a short amount of time, that would usually be the result of a hormonal imbalance) but it's not always indicative of our health. I think that's why people are disagreeing with your original post, we were all assuming you thought it was a fool proof indication of someone's health. 

But not everyone is fat because they eat too much or have unhealthy habits. 

#49 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

I agree with that last part, I also feel like that about them (and people with bad habits in general, like drinking, smoking, being sedentary etc), but I don't think less of them, simply for the fact that I'm not perfect either, not just in the health subject. Although I have to admit that a few years ago I used to.

#50 Dewgong

Dewgong
  • 221 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Sometimes its genetics, but I assume most of the time its just an unhealthy lifestyle. Something bad might have caused that lifestyle to happen so I try to not judge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users