• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

Tell me about interesting people. This thread can be sort of like TIL, but instead, we share facts about historical or present day people we finding intriguing, the more obscure the better! Please include source pages, so we can read more about them if we want. Learn me things.

Today I spent about an hour reading various sites about Alan Turing. If you've never heard of him, he was a brilliant mathematician who helped crack Enigma, the German cryptography machine, used during WWII. Not only that, but he's credited as the father of computer science and artificial intelligence. His achievements are vast. Unfortunately, he committed suicide at 41, probably due to the criminalization of homosexuality and forced chemical castration. 

#2 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:56 AM

How has anyone not heard of Turing after The Imitation Game?!

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:01 AM

I believe one of the most interesting people ever is Victoria Woodhull. She was the first woman to run for president, before women were even allowed to vote, and tried to get Frederick Douglass to be VP, but he said she was to outlandish to support. She was born flat-ass broke, decided to be a traveling magnetic healer, rode on her sister's coattails for a bit (Tennessee, the sister, was sleeping with Vanderbilt) to become the first brokerage firm owned by women on Wall Stress, and was one of the first women to have a publishing company. The publishing company got her arrested though, because she decided to call out Henry Ward Beecher for preaching about virtue and monogamy while fucking half the congregation. She was a HUGE suffragist, but Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Staton thought she was too extreme for their friends list and exiled her from the cool women voting group.  She believed in 'monogamy', but also believed that women should have the right to love whoever and however, just as men do. There's even more, she was a supporter of eugenics, one of her two children were disabled, and she was divorced, which is unheard of. 

To woman, by nature, belongs the right of sexual determination. When the instinct is aroused in her, then and then only should commerce follow. When woman rises from sexual slavery to sexual freedom, into the ownership and control of her sexual organs, and man is obliged to respect this freedom, then will this instinct become pure and holy; then will woman be raised from the iniquity and morbidness in which she now wallows for existence, and the intensity and glory of her creative functions be increased a hundred-fold

The other person I think is fascinating is from the same around the time frame, Maggie Fox. She was forced into being a medium and spiritual leader by her sister after playing a trick on their parents and ended up accidentally creating an entire 'religious' movement based on spiritualism and rejecting the common Calvinist viewpoints of the time. This went on for a long time, then she got married and her husband convinced her to give up doing seances and publicly show everyone how she was faking talking to spirits. A year later, she took it back and said the spirits made her do it. Mary Todd Lincoln built a seance room in the White House because she 'saw ghosts everywhere' and thought Maggie and Kate could help her with it. (Obviously we now know MTL probably suffered from vitamin deficiency and was batshit crazy)

#4 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

How has anyone not heard of Turing after The Imitation Game?!

Some people don't watch movies? I heard of him in a computer science course. I actually just watched the movie finally yesterday - which is what sparked the thread idea for me. 

I believe one of the most interesting people ever is Victoria Woodhull. She was the first woman to run for president, before women were even allowed to vote, and tried to get Frederick Douglass to be VP, but he said she was to outlandish to support. She was born flat-ass broke, decided to be a traveling magnetic healer, rode on her sister's coattails for a bit (Tennessee, the sister, was sleeping with Vanderbilt) to become the first brokerage firm owned by women on Wall Stress, and was one of the first women to have a publishing company. The publishing company got her arrested though, because she decided to call out Henry Ward Beecher for preaching about virtue and monogamy while fucking half the congregation. She was a HUGE suffragist, but Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Staton thought she was too extreme for their friends list and exiled her from the cool women voting group.  She believed in 'monogamy', but also believed that women should have the right to love whoever and however, just as men do. There's even more, she was a supporter of eugenics, one of her two children were disabled, and she was divorced, which is unheard of. 

The other person I think is fascinating is from the same around the time frame, Maggie Fox. She was forced into being a medium and spiritual leader by her sister after playing a trick on their parents and ended up accidentally creating an entire 'religious' movement based on spiritualism and rejecting the common Calvinist viewpoints of the time. This went on for a long time, then she got married and her husband convinced her to give up doing seances and publicly show everyone how she was faking talking to spirits. A year later, she took it back and said the spirits made her do it. Mary Todd Lincoln built a seance room in the White House because she 'saw ghosts everywhere' and thought Maggie and Kate could help her with it. (Obviously we now know MTL probably suffered from vitamin deficiency and was batshit crazy)

Dude so many things I never knew in this post! I have never heard of Woodhull. Wasn't there also someone who tried to run for presidency in like the '70s who was a woman? Oh I looked it up...apparently 5 women prior to HRC have run for president. Victoria Woodhull made the list. Awesome stuff.

Mary Todd Lincoln built a seance room in the White House?! And I wonder how many religious movements or ideas were born of out tricks like that, or accidents. 

My person for today is Virginia Hall. I learned about her in a history class. She was a spy for the SOE (British resistance organization) and OSS (American intelligence agency, prior to the CIA) during WWII. She was kind of a badass. She had a prosthetic leg and still managed to get around, helping the British and US intelligence efforts. When Germans overtook France, she literally walked to Spain, in the snow and cold of the Pyrenees Mountains to escape. Despite her disability, she was able to maintain several covers, save people she worked with and provide fundamental intelligence for the war efforts.

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

Some people don't watch movies? I heard of him in a computer science course. I actually just watched the movie finally yesterday - which is what sparked the thread idea for me. 

Dude so many things I never knew in this post! I have never heard of Woodhull. Wasn't there also someone who tried to run for presidency in like the '70s who was a woman? Oh I looked it up...apparently 5 women prior to HRC have run for president. Victoria Woodhull made the list. Awesome stuff.

Mary Todd Lincoln built a seance room in the White House?! And I wonder how many religious movements or ideas were born of out tricks like that, or accidents.

I don't watch movies. I wish Victoria was talked about more, but she's considered controversial even by today's standards, so I can understand why she isn't the popular face of women's rights.
The website you posted said she didn't get any votes, but that's not true, she got a few votes from third party voters who hated Grant lol.

Mormonism comes to mind.

#6 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

I don't watch movies. I wish Victoria was talked about more, but she's considered controversial even by today's standards, so I can understand why she isn't the popular face of women's rights.
The website you posted said she didn't get any votes, but that's not true, she got a few votes from third party voters who hated Grant lol.

Mormonism comes to mind.

I think historical women tend to be ignored, in large, due to revisionism. It's a shame too because there are so many women in history that represent how intelligent, resourceful and awesome women are. I guess I'm not surprised the TIME article that mentioned her didn't get it completely right. I will have to read more into her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users